(Topic ID: 161225)

Extremely dirty Airborne - Complete noob (first post)

By rmcelwee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Sammy31
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img_(resized).jpg
zero14_(resized).jpg
zero07_(resized).jpg
airborne12_(resized).jpg
airborne13_(resized).jpg
airborne05_(resized).jpg
airborne03_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

You can see the machine (it is REALLY dirty) and progress here:
http://www.lightweightmiata.com/arcade/airborne/

I am a complete noob when it comes to restoring pinball machines. I don't even know what the parts are called (just found out today what a pop bumper and mylar was). At first I thought I bit off more than I can chew with this Capcom Airborne pin because of the huge number of parts but I'm now thinking I can handle it. I've taken most of the playfield apart and want to start cleaning it and putting it back together. I have some Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and Show Car Glaze #7 I found in the garage and will use that after I clean it with some Novus #2. There are a few issues:

Mylar bumper shield coming up with dirt under it. I ordered some new pop bumper shields.

Broken ramp metal. I ordered a sheet of spring steel and will cut a new piece. There is a guy in town who has a rivot press and hopefully he will help me mount it.

Broken plastic. I'm thinking I can just use superglue unless you guys tell me it will ruin the clear plastic.

I will more than likely clean the hell out of this machine, fix everything and put it back together to sell it. It is just too nice for me to have sitting around. I'd rather have a cheaper machine here to play around with and one with less rare parts. I'd like to get top dollar for it so I want to put my time into doing a good job on the restoration. I do have a Future Spa and a Mr and Ms Pac-Man as well (both need restoring) to keep for myself.

Is there a way for me to add pictures to the body of my post or do I just attach them? I don't really understand the instructions on how to do this and have not been able to add any. I'm thinking that even if I did figure it out the forum wouldn't let me because this is my first post.

airborne03_(resized).jpgairborne03_(resized).jpg

airborne05_(resized).jpgairborne05_(resized).jpg

airborne13_(resized).jpgairborne13_(resized).jpg

airborne12_(resized).jpgairborne12_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Wow! Great game. That's a project for sure, must have been stored with the glass off.

I don't know if you'll want to sell it once you get it restored and working, you'll have a blast with it!

#3 7 years ago

Wow, congrats and welcome. Careful with those spiderwebs, looks like black widow judging by the haphazard appearance. Read and learn all you can, take lots of pics, ask questions, and have fun!

#4 7 years ago

Man I've never seen an Airborne that trashed!! Give it some MAJOR love, install a LED OCD and LEDs, and put a sub under that bad boy than play some kick butt pinball!! Love this game

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Man I've never seen an Airborne that trashed!! Give it some MAJOR love, install a LED OCD and LEDs, and put a sub under that bad boy than play some kick butt pinball!! Love this game

I have no idea what you are talking about???

As far as I know, it was stored with the glass on but left alone for 10 years. It is in fantastic condition compared to some of the other stuff I bought at the same time (note the picture below of the dead possum in my Zero Point arcade machine). The spider came out of the same machine (I think he killed the possum).

I don't see how to have the forum notify me that someone replied to my post. Is this possible?

zero07_(resized).jpgzero07_(resized).jpg

zero14_(resized).jpgzero14_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from rmcelwee:

I don't see how to have the forum notify me that someone replied to my post. Is this possible?

No direct notification, but if you look at the forum page, there will be a green tab indicating new posts since you last viewed.

Quoted from rmcelwee:

have no idea what you are talking about???

LED OCD is an aftermarket add on that allows LED bulbs to look more natural without flickering. By "sub", he means add a sub-woofer to the sound system for extra bass punch. Cool ideas when you get that far.

(That dead animal is NASTY! Good luck with your restoration. )

#7 7 years ago

I have all the bulbs pulled now (well, the ones that are removed from the top side). What is the benefit of putting LEDs in? What kind of cost am I looking at? I just bought 100 x #44 bulbs and 100 x 555 bulbs to replace everything (I guess that was what I needed).

#8 7 years ago

Keep it simple, man. Use the bulbs you have and the bulbs you know. When you get it all cleaned up and running then look into LEDs.

#9 7 years ago

People have to respect the fact that you are new, and are not planning on spending more than is absolutely necessary for this restoration. Don't worry about LEDs, upgrades, modifications, or any of that. Keep it stock. Use the regular incandescent bulbs you bought, install plain rubber rings, don't mess with the sound or the display, etc. It will be easier to sell that way anyway since it will not be personalized and you won't be forced to increase the price beyond a comfortable level to pay for it all.

#10 7 years ago

That spider just gave me MAJOR jibblies. AND it killed a small animal?
img_(resized).jpgimg_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Wow, it's Instrument Flight Rules for the flyers in that game...

I've never owned a CAPCOM game but I seem to remember people saying something about LEDs and CAPCOM games don't mix very well... anyways, I'd do some research before forking over a 100$ to LED your machine...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extremely-dirty-airborne-complete-noob-first-post-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.