(Topic ID: 230020)

Extracting Audio from SS Machines & Newer

By mcbPalisade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WMSCopyright.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 5 years ago

Can someone point me to a method to get MP3 (or ?) audio files from machines like AFM, RFM etc?

I'm trying to make pinball Christmas decorations. Thanks

#2 5 years ago

If you own the game it might be easiest to just hook your mic port up and record them. Otherwise you can use pinmame to do it right on your computer, but sometimes it doesn't sound quite the same.

#3 5 years ago

I think pinball browser will play the sounds from a game.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I think pinball browser will play the sounds from a game.

I don't think it works on games that old? DCS at least we don't know how to encode the format at all

#5 5 years ago

I thought it played the sounds, but can't replace them?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I thought it played the sounds, but can't replace them?

Hmm maybe. Worth a look for sure

#7 5 years ago

OK, getting somewhere.

Another question - are these sound bytes (ha ha) licensed or ? Could you use them in Xmas ornaments you sold on Pinside, for example?

#9 5 years ago

Also found them all at pinsound.org for AFM anyway.

Are these "free use" sounds?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Also found them all at pinsound.org for AFM anyway.
    Are these "free use" sounds?

No. Rick will be happy to point that out to you.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

OK, getting somewhere.
    Another question - are these sound bytes (ha ha) licensed or ? Could you use them in Xmas ornaments you sold on Pinside, for example?

Why not sell a blank ornament that's easily user programmed?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

No. Rick will be happy to point that out to you.

How can I ask "Rick" about this? Not familiar with any Ricks.

#13 5 years ago

SS games use a analogue chips to make sqaure wave sounds. Emulators on the computer can recreate this for you to record on your PC. I am not sure how perfect the emulation is. Otherwise i think you would be making an analogue recording of an actual sound board.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Anything technical required from an average user base will hurt sales IMHO. People want plug & play

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

www.planetarypinball.com

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Or pm him PPS

#17 5 years ago

OK now I can associate a name with Planetary Pinball. I ordered my Martians from him.

Seems like any patent or IP rights would have expired by now. Isn't it 17 years? AFM/RFM were done in the 1990's.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Seems like any patent or IP rights would have expired by now. Isn't it 17 years?

That's a great conversation to have with someone who knows what they are talking about, like your favorite copyright attorney.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's a great conversation to have with someone who knows what they are talking about, like your favorite copyright attorney.

Smashing idea, we'll do lunch

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Can someone point me to a method to get MP3 (or ?) audio files from machines like AFM, RFM etc?
    I'm trying to make pinball Christmas decorations. Thanks

http://gamearchive.askey.org/Pinball/Audio_Files/

#21 5 years ago

Williams System 11: Harris CVSD format (no decoder for this)
    Williams WPC 89: Harris CVSD format (no decoder for this)
    Williams WPC DCS: Digital Compression System format (no decoder for this)
    Data East System 2: 8kHz 8-bit PCM, maybe ADPCM sound bytes as well
    Data East System 3: 8kHz 8-bit PCM and proprietary 4-bit ADPCM (no decoder for this)
    Data East/Sega System 3b: ~22kHz 8-bit PCM, maybe ADPCM sound bytes as well
    Sega/Stern Whitestar: 8kHz 8-bit PCM, maybe ADPCM sound bytes as well
    Gottlieb System 3: 8kHz 8-bit PCM
    Stern SAM: ADPCM I believe, can be decoded with Stern Pinball Browser
    JJP: 44kHz 16-bit PCM, now encrypted in latest updates
    Chicago Gaming Company: 32kHz 16-bit PCM

#22 5 years ago

My copyright lawyer and I did breakfast instead. What a deal: He buys the meal and I pay him $250/hr to do it.

He found 1 pertinent document. Oddly it was done in 2010, long after Williams wasn't a going concern. It only covers "2D Artwork - Visual Material".

WMSCopyright.pdfWMSCopyright.pdf
    #23 5 years ago

The moment any creative works are created, they are copyrighted. Artwork, graphics, and audio (music, voices, sounds) are copyrighted. That isn't going away anytime soon. The earliest the works found in AFM *might* be considered for the public domain is 2091, in the unlikely event that there are no changes to copyright laws between now and then.

Patents have expired--those are only good for 20 years. That's how people can reproduce generic parts (as long as they have no artwork or other creative elements).

If this is a personal project just for yourself, there's no problem. If it's a product you intend to sell, you will need to negotiate a license with PPS.

#24 5 years ago

Interesting. Houdini died in 1926 which isn't 100 years ago. Not sure how all that copyright stuff worked out so API could make that pin.

Different subject I suppose and I'm not too interested in the answer.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

I can add clarification to this. You can change the sounds to anything you want (2MB Flash) but it comes stock with Martian voices.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Interesting. Houdini died in 1926 which isn't 100 years ago. Not sure how all that copyright stuff worked out so API could make that pin.
    Different subject I suppose and I'm not too interested in the answer.

Different situation. He was a historical figure, not a creative work of fiction. Control over a historical figure's image falls under personality rights, and sometimes strays into trademarks. A deceased person's estate may actively police or license their image for commercial use. If there is no estate or next-of-kin in control, then their image may be up for grabs. Laws vary from state to state, but in some states, rights of a public figure may be retained/protected for a minimum of 50 years after the person's death.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

My copyright lawyer and I did breakfast instead. What a deal: He buys the meal and I pay him $250/hr to do it.
    He found 1 pertinent document. Oddly it was done in 2010, long after Williams wasn't a going concern. It only covers "2D Artwork - Visual Material".
    [quoted image]

To correct your comment: Williams is STILL a going concern, today.

Just because they stopped making pinball machines doesn't mean they folded.

#28 5 years ago

Pinsound legacy files. Look them up

#29 5 years ago

Yes, corporations have no soul but their echos are heard for 100 years.

Getting the sounds is no problem and negotiations have begun to get them licensed. Bound to be a great learning experience.

Like the rest of pinball, ornaments should be ready in time for Xmas... 2020 I hope

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Yes, corporations have no soul but their echos are heard for 100 years.
    Getting the sounds is no problem and negotiations have begun to get them licensed. Bound to be a great learning experience.
    Like the rest of pinball, ornaments should be ready in time for Xmas... 2020 I hope

Very cool! I like to give Rick shit but he seems very approachable with any questions or potential partnerships with respect to the WMS licenses that he works with. Looking forward to seeing what you're working on.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Very cool! I like to give Rick shit but he seems very approachable with any questions or potential partnerships with respect to the WMS licenses that he works with. Looking forward to seeing what you're working on.

I'll let you know. I supply the base product and he adds the licensed stuff. We really hit it off because we both worked on HP-UX for Hewlett Packard at the same time. He was in Palo Alto (or some Cali site) and I was in Ft Collins, CO. A new team is formed!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extracting-audio-from-ss-machines-amp-newer?hl=mcbpalisade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.