(Topic ID: 133218)

is there a way to read game data from gottlieb system 3 to another device?

By onamission

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I am wanting to extract information from Gottlieb system 3 memory. I need to know if there is a way to get read out data: score, mode, etc. I am not looking to make a new board, dont want to mod the gameplay, just want to extract information.

If anyone can point me in a direction I would appreciate it.

#2 8 years ago

I'm not quite clear on your question. Do you want to access the code for the game rules, or the bookeeping data stored in RAM?

Neither would be human-readable, in any case. The most you can generally see hex code.

#3 8 years ago

I want the game data as the game is being played, ie all the variable's values like score, modes completed, etc. I want to know when and from where points are scored, what song is playing... I want to run it out to a terminal and get a feed, line by line, of all system processes as they happen.

#4 8 years ago

hypothetically, lets say I want to run five modified machines next to each other in a tournament and have a first to 50,000,000 race. this way I would have a computer monitoring exactly when the game started and who got to the score first.

#5 8 years ago

You could probably figure out a way to do it in MAME but even that would be non-trivial. To do it in a real machine without impacting gameplay would require you to build hardware to snoop the bus and write software to capture and interpret the data stream, which you could potentially prototype im MAME.

Unless someone had mad skills, a ton of time and a keen interest in a project like this, the answer is no IMHO.

viperrwk

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from onamission:

hypothetically, lets say I want to run five modified machines next to each other in a tournament and have a first to 50,000,000 race. this way I would have a computer monitoring exactly when the game started and who got to the score first.

The easiest approach would probably be to have spotters. Or, set up four cameras, get analog output, and feed them into a 4 channel quad splitter and record the output of the splitter with an analog capture device (or display it on a screen and record using a cell phone) in case there is a close call. That would probably be the cheapest way to do it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extracting-active-game-data-from-gottlieb-system-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.