Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Kwaheltrut
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210531-061032~2.png
    RedFilthyDunnart-max-1mb.gif
    IMG_20190120_095115 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180730_192037 (resized).jpg
    AAD2FEA5-FA68-4A5F-837B-ED316D45B039 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    977D736C-074E-4AEF-B002-9704A372BB46 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    ECC3F8C9-EE41-427D-9B43-2C33FE514C31 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    060B5726-20D4-4D09-9C78-42F425C0EB68 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    E2774B3F-6237-4377-8899-A80F5F88D235 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    0D11561B-D75D-4A06-B0FD-95509D056CFC (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    F757FEDF-5EA1-40A3-993F-0BFFA73BDADF (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    95942B22-142C-4A78-AF96-C55F652C1EA9 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    04446032-CCA6-421E-8CC4-BF1614A569D0 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    E4050190-16CC-42BE-8CC6-582CDDB9F64E (resized).jpeg
    little-chocolate-donuts (resized).jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

That is legit incredible. Well done.

Thanks, but I know a guy or two that have crushed that number

#52 5 years ago

I do spec trades in commodities

#54 5 years ago

Drive a older car so no car payment, got a vasectomy so no kids and I do some scrap metal on the side.

#55 5 years ago

eBay for me. If you find a niche market that you're knowledgeable with buying and selling, $$ can be made. And for me it's not pinball, just 10% of my sales usually getting rid of excess parts.

#56 5 years ago

Come this August I'll have 23 years into the hobby and during that time I've owned 639 games to date, of which I kept what you see in the collection. Back in 2012 I finally broke even by buying, trading and selling games and that paid for all the keepers. It's been a great hobby that has more then paid for itself and I've met a lot of great people along the way and we share the collection once a year with our annual party. O'yeah and like someone else said, working a real job seven days a week helps a little too.

John

#57 5 years ago

I bartend for extra cash for this hobby

#58 5 years ago

Use ESPP profits and stock options to fund a few NIB purchases a year, but just depends on the market. And 200+ nights away from home a year resulting in lots and lots of 65 hour work weeks.

#59 5 years ago

I hope y’all realize I’m not talking shit, but hopefully this thread helps everyone realize that pinball is a stupid expensive venture. Now think about it if you were an operator and every location owner and patron of said locations were trying to tell you how to run your business and which machines to buy and place in their location and so forth. Every year, I hear of someone around my area that’s going to get into coin-op and “put greedy assholes like you (me) out of business!”

I’m amazed at how out of control many prices have become and as of late it seems that project games actually bring better money than refurbished games because nowadays anyone that owns a pinball is a pinball repair guru, restoration expert, etc.

If all pinball related purchases I make weren’t 100% tax deductible and capable of generating some form of positive cash flow, I seriously doubt if I would still own any machines. Generic parts (flipper kits, switches, semiconductors) have come down in price considerably in relation to the cost of a game, but that’s about it. Nothing else about pinball is cheap.

#60 5 years ago

Not often, but focus groups can be good. I had one that was an online journal and I had to answer questions about sliced bread. No joke. Paid $300

Other groups are similar to what you would expect, sit around and watch protoype commercials, discuss city issues. Walk out with cash an hour or so later.

#61 5 years ago

Poker.

#62 5 years ago

Beg

Quoted from Deez:

I'm rich you dirty peasants..

Can you buy me an ACDC please..

#63 5 years ago

Build rustic furniture for family,friends ,co-workers and occasionally
    for people referred to me. Got into doing it by watching YouTube
    and decided to build a farmhouse table and benches for my wife.
    Great stress reliever and it snowballed from there after wife
    put pics on Facebook page. Also pickup extra hours working
    at nursing home on weekends and some weeknights after
    regular job. One hobby feeds the other . Having a lot of fun
    with both.

#64 5 years ago

KAHR.US Circuits has helped, but more so with the slow and steady increase in game count above the "maximum allowed" of four and with justifying attendance at multiple shows per year. Consistently living below means ensures I can buy when the right title and deal reveals itself (e.g., like others, I too drive an experienced (2006) car)

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC Pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Hit man for the mob.
    LTG : )

“Support” at JJP eh?

#66 5 years ago

Currently no kids, penny pincher, older cars, side jobs, buying pins that needed love and fixed them up and sold for a good profit. Also being smart when buying pins ... try buying huo that way when you sell u don't take much of a hit if any. Also if you pay attention to the market you can see trends and if you buy smart you can make money on some pins if you keep then long enough. I probably have 45-50k in pins atm and probably have 25-30k total in them. I also need to sell all the extra parts that I've accumulated over the years ... probably 2500-4000 just in that stuff lol.

#67 5 years ago

Hobby operator -- have some pins in a downtown bar. Me and a friend started about three years ago with six pins from our private collections. Now we have 12 pins set up there, 10 of which have been bought using coin box money, so to speak.

(But best of all: The town went from being completely dead pinball-wise to having a fantastic community of pinball players, with monthly tournaments and everything.)

#68 5 years ago

Used to do a lot of car repairs/5.0 blower/gear installs, etc and rented out one of my lifts for storage too for 10 years. Doing all my own car work saves a ton of money.

Nowadays, I don’t play pinball much and sold off all but 4 with no interest in buying any more machines. I do shop jobs and playfield swaps for fun instead. Extra income pays for Mustang/related car vacation stuff like SEMA, BJ, Carlisle and OC cruise. Really enjoying this stuff a lot more than pinball.

Wife and I both work and no kids. Two horses and a cat may nullify the no kids part!

0D11561B-D75D-4A06-B0FD-95509D056CFC (resized).jpeg0D11561B-D75D-4A06-B0FD-95509D056CFC (resized).jpeg060B5726-20D4-4D09-9C78-42F425C0EB68 (resized).jpeg060B5726-20D4-4D09-9C78-42F425C0EB68 (resized).jpegE2774B3F-6237-4377-8899-A80F5F88D235 (resized).jpegE2774B3F-6237-4377-8899-A80F5F88D235 (resized).jpegECC3F8C9-EE41-427D-9B43-2C33FE514C31 (resized).jpegECC3F8C9-EE41-427D-9B43-2C33FE514C31 (resized).jpeg95942B22-142C-4A78-AF96-C55F652C1EA9 (resized).jpeg95942B22-142C-4A78-AF96-C55F652C1EA9 (resized).jpeg04446032-CCA6-421E-8CC4-BF1614A569D0 (resized).jpeg04446032-CCA6-421E-8CC4-BF1614A569D0 (resized).jpeg977D736C-074E-4AEF-B002-9704A372BB46 (resized).jpeg977D736C-074E-4AEF-B002-9704A372BB46 (resized).jpegAAD2FEA5-FA68-4A5F-837B-ED316D45B039 (resized).jpegAAD2FEA5-FA68-4A5F-837B-ED316D45B039 (resized).jpegF757FEDF-5EA1-40A3-993F-0BFFA73BDADF (resized).jpegF757FEDF-5EA1-40A3-993F-0BFFA73BDADF (resized).jpeg

#69 5 years ago

Supplemental income.. veteran bowlers and pinheads need it..

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from oyvindmo:

Hobby operator -- have some pins in a downtown bar. Me and a friend started about three years ago with six pins from our private collections. Now we have 12 pins set up there, 10 of which have been bought using coin box money, so to speak.
    (But best of all: The town went from being completely dead pinball-wise to having a fantastic community of pinball players, with monthly tournaments and everything.)

Its that easy right? Buy low, restore, transport, set-up, maintain and become a leader of the community. What could possibly go wrong? Personally a few more hours in a day would be great just for fun.....

#71 5 years ago

Low end pinball guys don't worry about it.

E

#72 5 years ago

I have found the best long term root to extra income has been investing time in myself. My income has more than tripled in the past decade after getting 2 Masters degrees and about a dozen professional certifications in Project Management and Cyber Security. I can now work just 40 hours, or work just about as much as I want extra for my employer and get paid well for it. I have toyed with doing some proposal writing independent of my current employer, and although work is available, I've decided to keep working exclusively for my current company since they've been good to me. Once I'm done paying off my house I'll be expanding into searching for passive income aside from my retirement investing.

As far as an answer you could use. I used to do a lot of gig work before I joined the Marine Corps. I used to dumpster dive and sell at flea markets, tutor, and put up Craigslist help available ads. I am now on the other side of the Craiglist help wanted world, hiring people for small jobs here and there. For example, I'm paying someone $100 to come over and help me move my new Hobbit into my basement tonight. It'll probably take an hour, but it is totally worth it to me to have an extra set of strong hands while negotiating a handcart down a steep hill. I found the guy I'm using based off of his Craigslist ad for moving services available. I'm sure that's more than most people are paying him for gig work, but it's reliable and the guy is stacked. If you tried to get a moving company to do it, the lowest I could find had a minimum of $300. The profitable elbow grease work I've seen people do successfully are deck repainting/refinishing, power washing, moving, car detailing, leaf removal, and cleaning. If you want something relatively low stress for money on the side, look for expensive restaurants that deliver near you. I used to deliver for a steak company. Great tips, and I'd just listen to audiobooks all day. Also great part-time work.

#73 5 years ago

Put them out on location.

IMG_20180730_192037 (resized).jpgIMG_20180730_192037 (resized).jpg
    #74 5 years ago

I love this trend of machines reversing course, out of basements and back on location. Guys like schudel5 are a huge asset to the growth of the game. I’m considering dipping a toe in those waters. There’s a big dead spot on Pinball Map for my area.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I love this trend of machines reversing course, out of basements and back on location. Guys like schudel5 are a huge asset to the growth of the game. I’m considering dipping a toe in those waters. There’s a big dead spot on Pinball Map for my area.

Make sure you get a good location. That's the biggest advice. The Deadpool I have there now, the coin box has been full to the top every two weeks since I put it there...out earning Iron Maiden handily. Oh, and a coin box can hold almost $800 in quarters FWIW.

#76 5 years ago

I live below my means so I usually have enough "fun" money left over every once in a while for a decent splurge. Space is an issue, so I'm limited to just two for now, and any additional pins I might buy in the future would probably be projects or cheaper/older ones.

At some point I'll get into some hobbies that will hopefully let me sell stuff on the side, like woodworking or repairing/upgrading old videogame systems.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Make sure you get a good location. That's the biggest advice. The Deadpool I have there now, the coin box has been full to the top every two weeks since I put it there...out earning Iron Maiden handily. Oh, and a coin box can hold almost $800 in quarters FWIW.

Is that typical for a routed game that's in a good location? let's say $1500/month?

that's pretty awesome if that's true... though I'm sure the key is finding the right location.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from ctviss:

I live below my means so I usually have enough "fun" money left over every once in a while for a decent splurge. Space is an issue, so I'm limited to just two for now, and any additional pins I might buy in the future would probably be projects or cheaper/older ones.
    At some point I'll get into some hobbies that will hopefully let me sell stuff on the side, like woodworking or repairing/upgrading old videogame systems.

This is basically where my "extra" income comes from. We have a house well below what the top of our price range was with enough space and don't spend a ton of money on eating out every day at work or on stuff we don't really want or need like expensive cars. Leaves enough wiggle room for pinball, vacations, emergencies, guilt free nice meals out, etc.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

Is that typical for a routed game that's in a good location? let's say $1500/month?
    that's pretty awesome if that's true... though I'm sure the key is finding the right location.

No. DP is the exception, not the rule. It's till kind of going through it's honeymoon phase at the moment. Typically that phase lasts 2 weeks and this one is still going strong 9 weeks in.

On average, I'll get $150 a week per machine. DP's been full the first few weeks it was there but not so much now. I did advertise the new v0.99 code and I did take a peek on Sunday in the coin-box and it's more than half-way full already.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

No. DP is the exception, not the rule. It's till kind of going through it's honeymoon phase at the moment. Typically that phase lasts 2 weeks and this one is still going strong 9 weeks in.
    On average, I'll get $150 a week per machine. DP's been full the first few weeks it was there but not so much now. I did advertise the new v0.99 code and I did take a peek on Sunday in the coin-box and it's more than half-way full already.

Even $150/week on a machine is pretty darn good. $7500/year. I'm impressed as I always assumed that a year on route would pay for maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the machine, but seems it can pay for itself in a year.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Hey Mike, Just trying to make sure I'm figuring this right. Your saying the coin box is full and has $800 or 800 quarters in it? Big difference.

John

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hey Mike, Just trying to make sure I'm figuring this right. Your saying the coin box is full and has $800 or 800 quarters in it? Big difference.
    John

$800.

Here's $600 in quarters and you can see the extra room yet.

IMG_20190120_095115 (resized).jpgIMG_20190120_095115 (resized).jpg
    #83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

Even $150/week on a machine is pretty darn good. $7500/year. I'm impressed as I always assumed that a year on route would pay for maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the machine, but seems it can pay for itself in a year.

Assuming that pace continues. Assuming no split with location 50-50. Assuming no costly repairs.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I used to fix up and flip games, nothing too crazy, but I made $30k my first real year doing it. That's how I started and built my collection. It was down hill after that though. There hasn't been much to work with the last few years. I'm trying to figure out what my next plan is to get my disposable spending up.

You and I have been in the same boat. I used to make much more than that. I think my best year about 5 years ago was about 50k.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Assuming that pace continues. Assuming no split with location 50-50. Assuming no costly repairs.

Well said! Don’t forget taxes too. We have a decal in lieu of sales tax, but it’s an extra cost. What happens when your collections are flat and you have to add 2-3 Stern Pros to your route?

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

You and I have been in the same boat. I used to make much more than that. I think my best year about 5 years ago was about 50k.

I believe it. You were one of the ones I was thinking of

I did alright, but you and 3 other guys (off the top of my head) were straight up animals

RedFilthyDunnart-max-1mb.gifRedFilthyDunnart-max-1mb.gif
    #87 5 years ago

All but 4 of my machines are on route or in repair between sites. Still not my full time thing, but maybe soon ?

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

As others have said, don't forget location split, taxes, repairs, etc. For us, it looks like a realistic pay-itself-off time is about 2-2,5 years, after considering all expenses.

And of course, the resale value is part of the equation as well. We don't pay ourselves anything for our time, and put all money into buying new games. Our takeaway will be the games after they are no longer in use (again with some tax considerations).

All in all it's neither easy money nor a lot of money, so I'm keeping my day job and do this for the love of spreading the joy of pinball, really. I have a ton of respect for -- and am amazed by -- people who actually manage to do this for a living. Kudos to you!

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

$800.
    Here's $600 in quarters and you can see the extra room yet.[quoted image]

I've never fit more than $500 in quarters in a coin box. That is quite the accomplishment!!

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I've never fit more than $500 in quarters in a coin box. That is quite the accomplishment!!

Seriously? When my coin boxes are between 1/4 and 1/3 full, my coin counter hoppers get filled 4 times. The hoppers hold $80 in quarters so that's $320. That picture I posted of Deadpool filled the $80 hoppers 7 times and the 8th just partially.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying in that you've only ever counted $500 from a single collection. If that's the case, then I'd still be happy with that haul!

#91 5 years ago

Step one - Drink extra beers on the side.

Step two -

Step three - Profit

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Put them out on location.
    [quoted image]

I tried, but the kids kept whining about being cold on that street corner, so I had to take them to the shelter. This generation has no work ethic anymore.

In reality, I managed to find an employer that overpays me for things I am underqualified for. Not sure why, but I don't question it....

#93 5 years ago

I bought and sold to get where I’m at now. Bought a T2 for my first pin years ago. Sold it for $200 more than I paid. Rinse and repeat. Those days are long gone for me. Between work and my family, there is no time. I used to be a Mercedes tech, working on and fixing pins came pretty easy.

Now I just buy them right, play them, and maybe sell once in a while. Buying right is key. I’ve honestly never lost a single dollar on any pin I’ve had. I’ve been through 50-60 games. I’ve broken even one time. Every other pin sale had a profit.

At the end of the day though, I’m still up about $32,000 from buying and selling. I’ve kept spread sheets on every pin and every part purchased.

I don’t worry about the money anymore too much. Never would have bought a NIB pin just to lose money. My last two pins were NIB now. AC/DC Luci and JJP POTC.

It’s been a crazy ride. Been on long drives. Have gotten some insane deals.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I drive a nearly 10 year old Prius with almost 160k miles lol. The savings in gas and car payments helps fund my pinball hobby.

I finally gave up on my 2005 Civic Hybrid around 230k miles.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Seriously? When my coin boxes are between 1/4 and 1/3 full, my coin counter hoppers get filled 4 times. The hoppers hold $80 in quarters so that's $320. That picture I posted of Deadpool filled the $80 hoppers 7 times and the 8th just partially.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying in that you've only ever counted $500 from a single collection. If that's the case, then I'd still be happy with that haul!

No one else uses DBAs on route pins?

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

I do in my business. 14 of 22 games have them.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I finally gave up on my 2005 Civic Hybrid around 230k miles.

My 09 GTI is about to hit 65k. So it’s probably good for another 10 years? Still not paying these NIB prices.

#98 5 years ago

Back around 20 years ago and more, collectors simply restored non-functional games, sold them, and then upgraded their collection to improve either number of titles or quality of what they owned. I even routed for awhile, until I could not allot proper time for maintenance. Today, not as common based on reduced desire in restoring, and higher percentage that want to quickly fill up with NIB titles or lack of technical interest.

In my case, I simply do not want or need more games, as I am long past early obsession of "missing out", so the income needed for pinball is not relevant. Some do dabble occasionally, if they cannot pass up a good deal. Maybe my opinion on NIB will change one final time, if CGC offered something I just could not resist. I made my last NIB purchase in 2015, selling it for equal value two years later and never looked back.

#99 5 years ago

Selling out in one hobby to buy pinball. Sold a Lego Millennium Falcon a few years ago for $2000 (bought for $400 some years before) and turned that into my first game a T3 for 1700. Now selling a bunch of Lego Star Wars to buy my latest pin (undecided), I've sold over $4k so far, made a dent in the new in box sets but still have a bunch out of box and assembled on shelves.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Around here society is practically cashless, and none of the cashless payment options seem suitable for putting into each game, so we use tokens. Currently the tokens are sold by the barkeepers, but we've been considering adding a token change machine which takes cards and mobile payments.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extra-income/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.