Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Kwaheltrut
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210531-061032~2.png
    RedFilthyDunnart-max-1mb.gif
    IMG_20190120_095115 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180730_192037 (resized).jpg
    AAD2FEA5-FA68-4A5F-837B-ED316D45B039 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    977D736C-074E-4AEF-B002-9704A372BB46 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    ECC3F8C9-EE41-427D-9B43-2C33FE514C31 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    060B5726-20D4-4D09-9C78-42F425C0EB68 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    E2774B3F-6237-4377-8899-A80F5F88D235 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    0D11561B-D75D-4A06-B0FD-95509D056CFC (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    F757FEDF-5EA1-40A3-993F-0BFFA73BDADF (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    95942B22-142C-4A78-AF96-C55F652C1EA9 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    04446032-CCA6-421E-8CC4-BF1614A569D0 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    E4050190-16CC-42BE-8CC6-582CDDB9F64E (resized).jpeg
    little-chocolate-donuts (resized).jpg
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

This hobby we chose can get expensive which leads me to ask ...

What do you do for extra income to fund your pin collection? Do you deliver, consult, have an EBay store, or some other hustle?

#3 5 years ago

Seems like the most common answer should be 'make and sell mods'.

#4 5 years ago

I repair mostly. Occasionally sell.

#5 5 years ago

Prob in the minority here......but I find if I turn several tricks a week i can usually buy a decent pin every 3 months Or so.

#6 5 years ago

I drive a nearly 10 year old Prius with almost 160k miles lol. The savings in gas and car payments helps fund my pinball hobby.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

Prob in the minority here......but I find if I turn several tricks a week i can usually buy a decent pin every 3 months Or so.

+1

#8 5 years ago

Giggolo

Actually I mow commercial lawns in the summer.

#9 5 years ago

I recycle old pinside threads.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

50 cents a post?

#11 5 years ago

I used to buy cheap projects, play them for awhile and then sell for a little profit. This allows you to upgrade slowly. The trouble is I discovered the less than perfect project games turn out to be as fun or more so than some of the upgrades. So I'm still drawn to them.

#12 5 years ago

I heard that some pinheads got a small, million dollar loan from their dad.

#13 5 years ago

Hit man for the mob.

LTG : )

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I used to buy cheap projects, play them for awhile and then sell for a little profit. This allows you to upgrade slowly. The trouble is I discovered the less than perfect project games turn out to be as fun or more so than some of the upgrades. So I'm still drawn to them.

I have done this too. I see it as sort of a physical savings account for pinball funds. Problem is I'm also not very good at being able to thin the herd. I currently have 16 on route (the way my post is on topic, my answer is I route them and they multiply... very, very slowly) and several at home. Too many at home so now I have to try to sell some, which is tough because the lesser known games are still fun to me.

#15 5 years ago

I just work 60+ hour weeks. . . are you telling me there is a better way?

#16 5 years ago

I have only bought one pin in the last ten+ years, and that one pin was funded by an unexpected one-time-only bonus for working twenty years at the same company (or my wife would have vetoed that purchase).

#17 5 years ago

For me, it's simple - don't get married, don't have kids, make your home a rental property (three or four family.) Don't need a side hustle when you're alone and have others pay your mortgage.

This setup allows me to be myself and spend my $$$ however I wish. Not a rich dude, but I get to enjoy what I do make. Livin' the dream.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I just work 60+ hour weeks. . . are you telling me there is a better way?

You need to get a side hustle going so you can devote more time to your Paragon restoration

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

For me, it's simple - don't get married, don't have kids, make your home a rental property (three or four family.) Don't need a side hustle when you're alone and have others pay your mortgage.
    This setup allows me to be myself and spend my $$$ however I wish. Not a rich dude, but I get to enjoy what I do make. Livin' the dream.

I prefer not being a genetic dead end myself. Man did that dream cost me.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I prefer not being a genetic dead end myself. Man did that dream cost me.

I think Pinside can agree that the Moberg name should end with me.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Great contribution to the thread. Not sure why anyone would go out of their way to post a negative comment to someone asking a legitimate question. Not everybody has been a member for years and shouldn’t we welcome those coming on board and participating in the hobby we all love?

#22 5 years ago

My Pinball Mod hobby does not fund my Pinball habit.
    I have never bought a machine to develop mods for... I have "considered" it... but just haven't.

#23 5 years ago

I usually just send the Wife back to the hospital to pick up extra hours and tell her we are investing the extra cash.

#24 5 years ago

I have machines on location. My wife runs wanted ads for machines. She finds them I fix them and she sells them.

#25 5 years ago

I took the thread recycling to be a joke and not a shot at the OP. At least I hope it was not meant to be negative.

#26 5 years ago

I would just take it a a joke, if it’s an insult at least it’s overt. That’s a step up for pinside.

#27 5 years ago

The way prices keep going up its really hard here lately to find anything decent to flip. As stated earlier though buying cheap and flipping them for small profits is the way to go. Just my 2 cents

#28 5 years ago

I try to pimp myself out. It is not going so well.

My pinball mod business helps a little. It really doesn’t feel that way though this time of year when it is time to pay Uncle Sam.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from PSchwisow:

I took the thread recycling to be a joke and not a shot at the OP. At least I hope it was not meant to be negative.

I agree. Did not seem like bashing the op to me. Carry on. All is well in PinsideLand. Have a Little Chocolate Donut.
    little-chocolate-donuts (resized).jpglittle-chocolate-donuts (resized).jpg

#30 5 years ago

No side hustles. Just work really really hard.

#31 5 years ago

I love the hobby and am interested in becoming a better player and expanding my collection. A side income would be great but I don’t currently have one. Tutoring is something that some I know pursue, decent money and little to no money required to begin.

#32 5 years ago

I'm rich you dirty peasants.. I don't care, do you?

#33 5 years ago

When I started this hobby seven years ago when it was easy to find project machines & flip to make a profit. Now they are very difficult to come by, for projects are way overpriced & the competition is stiff. At this point, my wife & I budget approximately five thousand a year to fund our arcade/pinball home play. With a coming addition of a Golden Tee Home arcade, our arcade backroom is almost complete. We have room in the front room for three pinball machine, as one slot was always open to a project machine. As mentioned, it is very difficult to find decently priced projects, so I've thrown in the towel. At this point, we always have two A1 pinball titles & will add another to make it three. So we just continue to save & live by our means, to complete our little corner of paradise.

#34 5 years ago

I consider pinball an investment. While it is not making me as much money as my other passive investments, it is a hell of a lot more fun. And I am not talking about routing games. I used to do that but currently just have games in my basement. But the maintenance of value for both pinball machines and arcade games is pretty good. But to answer your actual question, I have real estate and stock market holdings that give me passive income equaling about $27k per month on top of my salary as a physician. I am looking to make that about $50k and then I can retire.

#35 5 years ago

I drive a 20 year old Honda Accord with 200,000 miles. The suspension is worn, so she rattles down the road, and I have to nurse the clutch a bit, but she runs great. Not having a car payment really helps.

My first side hustle when I taught high school special ed was working at a local amusement park. It was near minimum wage, but the perks were fun: We could use our IDs at places like Dorney Park, Hershey Park, and Knoebles to get into those parks for free, and the side cash helped me buy my White Water. Growing older doesn't mean you have to grow up

#36 5 years ago

I do home repairs and have some games on route. Home repairs are a huge hassle though and not really much payoff. Routing games at the right location can be worthwhile. The flippers still do a heck of a lot better than I do keeping stuff running. Hard to find now, and as annoyed as people get with them, they do make the quickest and easiest buck in the hobby.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

Great contribution to the thread. Not sure why anyone would go out of their way to post a negative comment to someone asking a legitimate question. Not everybody has been a member for years and shouldn’t we welcome those coming on board and participating in the hobby we all love?

I was honestly hoping to see some legit answers, most of these posts are just a waste of time.

I prostitute myself hehehe

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

But to answer your actual question, I have real estate and stock market holdings that give me passive income equaling about $27k per month on top of my salary as a physician. I am looking to make that about $50k and then I can retire.

Exhibit A about why machines keep going up in price.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Have a Little Chocolate Donut.

The breakfast of champions!

#40 5 years ago

If you find a side job that takes up from your time working on games.

I am self employed and all of my work are side jobs, as an electrician, solar installer, disc golf course designer, Frisbee wholesaler. I grow most of my food and barter alot. I don't buy many things. When I travel I go cheap.

Now my wife, that is another issue....

#41 5 years ago

It's times like this where I'm reminded that jokes are all fun and good until someone gets hurt. Welcome to Pinside.

#42 5 years ago

I used to fix up and flip games, nothing too crazy, but I made $30k my first real year doing it. That's how I started and built my collection. It was down hill after that though. There hasn't been much to work with the last few years. I'm trying to figure out what my next plan is to get my disposable spending up.

#43 5 years ago

30k in one year is crazy!

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I used to fix up and flip games, nothing too crazy, but I made $30k my first real year doing it. That's how I started and built my collection. It was down hill after that though. There hasn't been much to work with the last few years. I'm trying to figure out what my next plan is to get my disposable spending up.

That is legit incredible. Well done.

#45 5 years ago

I run a business and I charge everything I can on my credit cards to earn the credit card points that I can turn into cash. Doing this on about 3 separate cards brings in enough "free cash" to approximately pay for a pro model each year. I am usually a premium or LE buyer so all I need to come up with out of pocket is $1500 to $3000 . Doing so makes it much easier for me to justify buying a $9000 LE model.
    Of course this "free money" only works if you pay off the cards every month, otherwise this wouldn't be a good deal at all.

#46 5 years ago

I use to fund the hobby by buying a machine that needed work for a respectable amount, shop it and repair it then re-sell it for a small profit. Today people have non functioning machines typically listed with something like, “Probably a blown fuse or minor power supply issue” and expect they buyer to pay full if not over value prices. (See it from pinsiders on here all the time). Side note: If it’s a minor issue and an easy fix, then fix it! Otherwise you are be deceiving and/or outright lying.

I would say the only way now is to have the expendable cash.

#47 5 years ago

Wow, you ARE new....lol.

Just kidding. Welcome aboard, lots of knowledge here, and lots of sarcasm too. My wife and I used to make mods, but anymore I do the same as most. Look for a deal, try to beat the crowd to it, fix and clean it, play it awhile and eventually sell it for a couple bucks more than I have into it.

#48 5 years ago

In my honest opinion, life’s too short to spend more time working just to be able to afford pinball. It would be a better use of time to work on getting a job that pays more than to work more hours just to buy pins. And I’m saying this as someone getting priced out of the hobby myself, not trying to be a jerk.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

It's times like this where I'm reminded that jokes are all fun and good until someone gets hurt. Welcome to Pinside.

☺️

#50 5 years ago

I make and sell mods.

E4050190-16CC-42BE-8CC6-582CDDB9F64E (resized).jpegE4050190-16CC-42BE-8CC6-582CDDB9F64E (resized).jpeg
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extra-income/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.