(Topic ID: 235911)

Extra holes in playfield - does it concern you?

By Durzel

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Completist
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I recently bought a fully restored TAF with a brand new Mirco playfield. I've since bought some scoop light mods from @leesparts, etc for it to make shots more clear.

I don't have any complaint about the mods as they are pretty much plug and play (perfect for someone useless with electronics as myself), but most of them do involve screwing the lamp holder into a new hole on the playfield.

Because of what the mods do I can't really see how else they could do their job (illuminating scoops), but I'm just wondering - because I have an OCD about this stuff - whether people think that creating new holes in playfields devalues them in any way?

I fully realise that this might be a ridiculous thought - so looking for reassurance really

#2 5 years ago

Nope, enjoy your game and stop stressing about the little stuff.

#3 5 years ago

Personally, I prefer mods to be reversible.

However, if you're just talking about a screw hole on the underside of the playfield, that's not going to bother me much (as long as you use a screw that is the proper length and it doesn't poke through the top of the playfield).

#4 5 years ago

Yeah, none of the mods involve soldering or modify the top side of the playfield permanently or anything like that, it's just additional screw holes to hold the lamp sockets. They use Molex connectors where they splice into inserts so are fully plug and play. In almost all of the cases the holes are covered by the scoops anyway.

I am probably overthinking it, I just wonder whether it's something other people have concerns about.

#5 5 years ago

I wouldn’t think so. There are literally hundreds of screws screwed into the underside. It’s open season down there and that’s what it’s for.
    Just put a depth marker on that bit!

#6 5 years ago

Id never want to put a hole on the artwork some where but the under side who cares go crazy lol

#7 5 years ago

I agree, as long as you aren’t putting holes where they can be seen go for it.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks all Figured I was probably being a bit obsessive.

#9 5 years ago

You can usually tuck lamp bases under other lamp bases to secure them.

But since this is a reproduction playfield anyway, It's not like you are ruining an antique.

Drill away

#10 5 years ago

On a side note, how is the Mirco playfield holding up?

#11 5 years ago

Seems ok from what I've seen? I haven't had the machine for very long though, less than 4 months. The guy who restored it put a full playfield protector on it as well.

Have you heard bad things about Mirco playfields then?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

Seems ok from what I've seen? I haven't had the machine for very long though, less than 4 months. The guy who restored it put a full playfield protector on it as well.

It is hard to give a definitive answer to "how the play field is holding up" with a protector on. That PF will certainly stay pristine.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

It is hard to give a definitive answer to "how the play field is holding up" with a protector on. That PF will certainly stay pristine.

Haha very true.

I did not spec the playfield, I did not know what brand it was until I received it (it was bought sight unseen from a restorer based in another country - a bit of a risk on my part).

I'm not totally sold on the playfield protector but that's a different matter entirely.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

I'm not totally sold on the playfield protector but that's a different matter entirely.

I have one on three of my games (MB, MM, CC) I really like them. There are lots of haters out there for these. I have really nice original PFs on all three of those games and we like playing them a lot.

#15 5 years ago

I don't dislike mine enough to want to start chopping it up to get it out, but it does play a bit differently to my Tron and TZ both of which are double waxed, so are very fast and shiny. One man's wine is another man's poison I guess (or woman's).

I sortof enjoy the whole waxing part of it too.

#16 5 years ago

I love Playfield protectors!

#17 5 years ago

Yeah We Know your opinion on this! Why don’t you tell us how you really feel!

#18 5 years ago

You could always reverse the mod and simply reinstall a screw so its not an obviously empty hole. Of course the screw will go in that much further with no braket so make sure its a short enough one first. Noone likes the new screwhole damage mod lol. I prefer stock games over heavily modded ones but something like that wouldnt affect its value to me (or likely even be noticed by most).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extra-holes-in-playfield-does-it-concern-you?hl=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.