Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BearMetal
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So I just got my first machine (Joker Poker SS) and spent about a month learning how to make basic repairs. I replaced solenoids, fixed the chime box, replaced transistors on the under playfield and the driver board.

And now the machine is amazing and I look forward to many decades of use. But I got to thinking about the availability of parts. I'm pretty sure that things like solenoids and leaf switches will always be available.

But what about the CPU/driver/power boards? They are all new now, but what if one breaks in 6 years? Will I be able to find Ni-Wumpf or Rottendog boards then?

I guess my question is: should I buy backup boards now and keep them in storage? I'm worried that I'll end up with a 500lb brick if they stop making the system 1 replacement boards.

#2 4 years ago

I personally wouldn’t worry about keeping replacement boards on hand. I know people that have some replacement boards. But they all have many games that share the same boards.
I believe as long as the pinball market is strong, there will be people making replacement parts. And if the market crashes, you’ll be able to buy a donor machine cheaper than you can buy a new board set now.
If somehow neither of those are options, someone will be able to repair them.

#3 4 years ago

Congratulations on bringing the game back to life btw! Welcome to the addiction.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the feedback and warm welcome. Are there any parts which would fall into the category of, "you should definitely have them because they are hard to find"?

I bought backup coils, resistors, transistors for normal repairs.

#5 4 years ago

Maybe a plastic set, if they're even available now. They tend to go in and out of production.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Looks like Marcos and eBay both have the plastics sets in stock.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from BearMetal:

I'm worried that I'll end up with a 500lb brick if they stop making the system 1 replacement boards.

If they ever do and you need something, someone will figure out how to adapt something else to it, or make some new boards, or you can get working used boards.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Maybe a plastic set, if they're even available now. They tend to go in and out of production.

When the pinball market crashes some day you’ll be able to buy whole pins and parts cheap so why stock up now at a high price?

CPR makes the plastic sets and if they’re out of any specific set you just post in this forum and within a week they should be back in stock. They’ve committed to restocking every plastic set and backglass that they've made in the past, but they can’t make everything at once. So by posting in this forum you are signaling that they have a pending sale and that making this item should be prioritized. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-floodgates-open-plastics-amp-glasses-releases

#9 4 years ago

Wow, that's great that CPR watches this forum and responds when people need something. Plastics are easy enough, but the idea of transferring every component to a new playfield seems nearly impossible. Would be nice though if I ever got the courage to do it.

Good points about not buying expensive components now while the market is booming.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extra-boards-and-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.