Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DNO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I sometimes wonder if it would be better if extra balls were played after all regular balls because it's often the case where one player clearly outclasses another, so the weaker player is just waiting and waiting. If all the EBs were reserved until after regular play, the weaker player could be off playing another game (better for OPs) and not have to worry that his turn might come up at any moment.

#2 11 years ago

I like being in the zone and playing them as they come.

#3 11 years ago

I think Gilligans Island does this with "bonus ball"
    Need to get you a GI!

#4 11 years ago

Interesting idea. Would get rid of those awkward moments where someone doesn't even realize they got an extra ball. People switch spots then realization kicks in because the "shoot again" video comes up, or they realize their score is still blinking, and then they have to step back up to the plate.

#5 11 years ago

I thought you meant an extra ball truely at the end of the game.

At the end of a game of TAF, if there are any balls locked, it shoots them out of the swamp at the right flipper.

For some reason the flippers stay energized long enough for you to make a one-timer off that kickout. I love shooting for electric chair hole.

I think it would be great if the game was over, all the bonuses were calculated and then it shot one last ball down -- if you could make the "skill shot" you would get a bonus ball.

But hey... that's just me.

Chris

#6 11 years ago

Two of my games have something like that....

In NBA Fastbreak, on your final ball the RH outlane is lit for the "Million Dollar Shot". If this is triggered, you have a 24-second shot clock to make a basket up the middle. If you make it, you keep going. If you miss, everything powers off and your game is over. Some interesting call-outs accompany either outcome.

On Big Guns, there is option to have the "King's Chamber" shot enabled. After the last ball drains, you get a little music/text intro, then the backbox bagatelle fires one last shot. If the ball goes down the second left-most slot, you get an extra ball. Pretty cool.

Later,
    EV

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

If all the EBs were reserved until after regular play, the weaker player could be off playing another game (better for OPs) and not have to worry that his turn might come up at any moment.

I don't want to go off on an old man rant here, but I'm getting a little tired of younger folks wondering off in the middle of a two player game lately. It seems to be getting more acceptable these days. I don't like it for a couple of reasons.

First, it's just plain bad manners. Pinball is all about flow. Good or bad, when I'm done with my ball, I want the other player there ready to continue the game. I don't think that's a lot to ask. By the same token, I don't wander off when someone else is having a killer ball. Either way, it's rude on a number of levels.

Secondly, if someone is kicking your ass on a game, you should be watching them to learn what they are doing. Not wondering off to start another game. How are you ever gonna beat the guy if you don't watch what he's doing?

Long story short, EB's are fine as is. Watch and learn. AND STAY OFF MY LAWN, DAMMIT!!!

note: if you play on location more than me, this rule does not apply to you. play as many damb games at a time as you want.

#8 11 years ago

I've always thought the " bonus ball" on black knight should go to the lowest score, to give that player a chance to catch up? instead of the higher score.

#9 11 years ago

king pin does this with bonus games after the regular game ends. the bonus game has different rules too. i find it pretty cool.

#10 11 years ago

I know my wife would love it! She hates waiting her turn when I am doing well.

#11 11 years ago

Didn't this used to be called add-a-ball? I know some machines have an add-a-ball option.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from DaveD:

I know my wife would love it! She hates waiting her turn when I am doing well.

That's what got me thinking about it. If I get a 15 minute ball going, you can bet there's an EB or two stacked behind it. My girlfriend likes watching/playing pinball but not for half an hour. So usually she'll go off with a friend. Then it's her turn and she's gone. So to avoid that I'll just play casual with her, but that's kind of weak.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

king pin does this with bonus games after the regular game ends. the bonus game has different rules too. i find it pretty cool.

Kingpin, Black Knight and others do this but they are basically timed rounds for bonus points. NBA is basically earning an EB (which is cool, don't care for the game in general, though).

#14 11 years ago

We set it for four player when it's us and one of our kids she gets two of them if it's me and her she gets three of them. I won't complain one bit, I am just happy she wants to play!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

If I get a 15 minute ball going, you can bet there's an EB or two stacked behind it.

Turn the EB's off, or get Gilligan!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extra-balls-at-end-of-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.