Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by acupunk12
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221221_234954 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    46EEE7C5-191B-4584-9106-C9BFBC93658C (resized).jpeg
    21941A67-F91B-4F16-ADEB-5726528A4DEC (resized).jpeg
    F7AC2E62-3E6D-4F46-8973-0B10B4402323 (resized).jpeg
    20170903_171626 (resized).jpg
    20170903_171533 (resized).jpg
    1E1F820C-F20B-4C30-9B18-CA41DAC6FC7C (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Hi, was looking for an external subwoofer for my godzilla. Heard that the Monoprice is terrible but the Polk PSW10 is so inflated right now at $250. An other recommendations? I see a Polk PSW108 for $150 but don’t know if that’s compatible or capable. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Klipsch 12” - I have one on each machine - night and day better than the Polk 10. FYI - It only has RCA inputs though

#3 1 year ago

You can’t use alligator clips can you?

#4 1 year ago

You can use any self powered sub with a speaker wire line in or RCA input, you can alligator clip speaker wire from cabinet speaker to it. Check you local FB marketplace or craigslist, have five subs and never spent over $60 for one.

#5 1 year ago

It's pinball, any economical sub will do

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

You can use any self powered sub with a speaker wire line in or RCA input, you can alligator clip speaker wire from cabinet speaker to it. Check you local FB marketplace or craigslist, have five subs and never spent over $60 for one.

Agree. Over the years I have accumulated 5 PSW10s from CL as well. Think I’ve also never paid more than $60.

#7 1 year ago

Some may say overkill, but I like to have an independent 12” sub for each pin. The Polk 10 just seemed to not have the balls and nice smooth deep low end that the Klipsch’s provide.
    Great deals pop up from time to time on these. Used, Open box on Amazon, Costco, ect, I paid on average around 150ish each.
    1E1F820C-F20B-4C30-9B18-CA41DAC6FC7C (resized).jpeg1E1F820C-F20B-4C30-9B18-CA41DAC6FC7C (resized).jpeg

#8 1 year ago

Go to bestbuy and buy the open box powered sub and/or check Facebook marketplace.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

Some may say overkill, but I like to have an independent 12” sub for each pin. The Polk 10 just seemed to not have the balls and nice smooth deep low end that the Klipsch’s provide.
    Great deals pop up from time to time on these. Used, Open box on Amazon, Costco, ect, I paid on average around 150ish each.
    [quoted image]

What are your subs resting on ?Nice Row.My subs on a hardwood floor do dance around and walk.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

[quoted image]

That set up you have going on is beautiful

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Go to bestbuy and buy the open box powered sub and/or check Facebook marketplace.

Best buy open box prices aren't always the lowest

#12 1 year ago

So, let me just make sure. it’s what ever subwoofer would suffice as long as it’s an old school style stereo subwoofer?

#13 1 year ago

I have 6 or 7 Polks, never paid more than $70 w free shipping.

I have a couple hooked up to each one but all games are rarely played at the same time so it doesnt really matter. Plenty of power for a game room.

20170903_171533 (resized).jpg20170903_171533 (resized).jpg20170903_171626 (resized).jpg20170903_171626 (resized).jpg
    #14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

What are your subs resting on ?Nice Row.My subs on a hardwood floor do dance around and walk.

I have a 2 different types of subwoofer isolation pads. Expensive for what they are, but your subs won’t walk and it reduces unwanted vibrations.
    I think the vibe boss is a better value.

Sound Addicted VibeBoss P12 - Acoustic Isolation Platform Suitable for 12-15 inches Large Subwoofers (20'' x 17'' x 3'') https://a.co/d/aV4vByE

Auralex SubDude HT https://a.co/d/hwzVHbm
    21941A67-F91B-4F16-ADEB-5726528A4DEC (resized).jpeg21941A67-F91B-4F16-ADEB-5726528A4DEC (resized).jpegF7AC2E62-3E6D-4F46-8973-0B10B4402323 (resized).jpegF7AC2E62-3E6D-4F46-8973-0B10B4402323 (resized).jpeg

#15 1 year ago

While on the topic, I finally pulled the trigger and picked up the Klipsch 15” sub for my home theater. All I can say as that this bad boy is insane and sub you can truly feel. Not recommend for apt or condo owners and overkill for a pin.

46EEE7C5-191B-4584-9106-C9BFBC93658C (resized).jpeg46EEE7C5-191B-4584-9106-C9BFBC93658C (resized).jpeg

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

So, let me just make sure. it’s what ever subwoofer would suffice as long as it’s an old school style stereo subwoofer?

The two models in your initial post will work, has to be self amplified and have a line level in or rca in. If you find another model post it here and can tell you if it will work or not, recommend at least a 10" woofer.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

[quoted image]

Man you don't fuck around...me likey!!!

#18 1 year ago

Haha thank you! I try to be a ‘do it once and do it right’ type guy. Just found good deals in the past couple years.

FYI I see a “used very good” Polk 10 on Amazon right now for $116, which seems fair. Sits under a pin, so a little cosmetic damage is no biggie as long as it works ok.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

Haha thank you! I try to be a ‘do it once and do it right’ type guy. Just found good deals in the past couple years.
    FYI I see a “used very good” Polk 10 on Amazon right now for $116, which seems fair. Sits under a pin, so a little cosmetic damage is no biggie as long as it works ok.

Lol I was looking at this too. Thanks

#22 1 year ago

My machine is in the corner of the room. Would you ideally place the sub directly under the cabinet or cornered by the walls under the cabinet?

#23 1 year ago

Anyone tried the Polk PSW108? Curious how it compares to the PSW 10.

#24 1 year ago

Lockenick

Quoted from Lockenick:Anyone tried the Polk PSW108? Curious how it compares to the PSW 10.

I have the psw108 on my TNA and it seems to do a good job. I’ve never compared the two Polk subs. I run Klipsch 10s on my other pins with the exception of Kiss… it has a Def Tech 15.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Electrical engineer here, albeit RF amplifiers not audio amps. Still appropriate tho.

You don't want to do that with a modern Stern and RCA inputs on a powered sub, there's a potential problem. Stern uses a TPA 3123D2 audio amp in what's call a 'bridge-tied-load' configuration output (i.e. balanced output) meaning 'woofer+' output and 'woofer-' output, as opposed to a single-ended output (i.e. woofer+, ground). 'Woofer-' is not at ground potential. Older pins use that configuration. If the subwoofer uses a single-ended RCA input ('input+', ground) then you are effectively grounding one side of the TPA3123D2 amplifier ('output-' to ground). Plus you'd be potentially over-driving the input with a direct connection.

However, there is an easy way around this that the car guys use for hooking up an external amplifier for their subs. It's a high level (i.e. audio amplifier output) to low level (i.e. external active subwoofer input). It is essentially a 'balun' so it addresses the balanced (bridge-tied-load) to unbalanced (single-ended) problem. Hence the name BALUN (BALance to UNbalanced). It also addresses the issue of lowering the input level to a level appropriate to the active subwoofer. Some also isolate grounds.

I know people have went the alligator and wire approach, but I wouldn't recommend it. The adapter I mentioned is a correct way to clamp onto the woofer. Works on any pin. There's other ways to achieve it too, but the adapter is low cost and all you need.

Here's an example of the ones I use, but plenty of alternatives: https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-Variable-Line-Converter/dp/B001EAWS3W/ref=sr_1_1

Not sure about going into the high-level inputs on an external sub, really depends on the subwoofer design.

The PinWoofer gent makes a nice system if you don't want to go down the path of DIY.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Hi, was looking for an external subwoofer for my godzilla. Heard that the Monoprice is terrible but the Polk PSW10 is so inflated right now at $250. An other recommendations? I see a Polk PSW108 for $150 but don’t know if that’s compatible or capable. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Monoprice is fine. I have four 12" subs on the home theater and three 8" subs on the pins. The home theater bass is pretty impressive. All Monoprice.

I run six pins into a mixer (using the high level to low-level adapters) and the mixer drives two 8" slimline subs. Another single 8" sub is for 3 pins thru a smaller mixer.

Granted, I use the 8" subs so not quite the punch as a 10" Polk (nice sub), but having 2 helps make up for it.

There was a thread about the Monoprice subs not long ago and problems about sounding like crap. Boiled down to using the wire/alligator clip method. I mentioned the high level to low-level adapters and that resolved the problems (pretty much what I said in the post above). Thread went from "These suck" to "Yeah, these are nice". Don't mean to sound like a Monoprice fanboy, but they are a decent sub in my experience.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monoprice-8-powered-subwoofer-39

I've taken one of the 12" subs apart to see what was inside, looked decent. Name brand audio amp IC, toroidal transformer, sealed up nicely. Can't comment on the design itself tho. Wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly the IC amp vendor's data sheet recommendation.

Here's a link to the 8" sub (not the slim version): https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8248

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

My machine is in the corner of the room. Would you ideally place the sub directly under the cabinet or cornered by the walls under the cabinet?

From an audiophile standpoint, ideally the corner since the walls become an extension of the speaker enclosure (i.e think of a horn speaker, the walls become the 'horn'). But we're talking pins here - under the game is fine.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

From an audiophile standpoint, ideally the corner since the walls become an extension of the speaker enclosure (i.e think of a horn speaker, the walls become the 'horn'). But we're talking pins here - under the game is fine.

Thanks for all the great advice! I bought the pinnovators sub kit to get a good connection and I’m currently shopping around for the sub (:

#29 1 year ago

Klipsch 12" Sub down from $270 to $199 on Amazon right now.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

That’s a really big sub. Does it really heighten the experience compared to the PSW10?

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

That’s a really big sub. Does it really heighten the experience compared to the PSW10?

Hi, if anybody sees any more sales in the next week, would you please shout it out on this sub forum ? Thanks I would like to buy something in the next week to go along with the pinnovators sub kit I just got . Would like to keep it between $100-$150 if it’s a possibility

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

The KLIPSCH R120SW is on sale from $600 to $250. Is that too much bass for a pinball machine? Just have to consider it because the Polk PSW10 is the same price point

#33 1 year ago

Heck of a deal, free shipping: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8248

#34 1 year ago

Very happy with my polk psw10 as they have a built in amp. Shame the prices shot up. Recommend being patient and hunt out a used one.

#35 1 year ago

Check the powered subs from Parts Express. They have 8”, 10”, and 12”. The 8” should be plenty. And make sure to check for open box items.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Heck of a deal, free shipping: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8248
    [quoted image]

Thank you!

Just ordered and I’ll pick up the high to low module you posted above as well. Good to go after that?

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

Thank you!
    Just ordered and I’ll pick up the high to low module you posted above as well. Good to go after that?

Yep! I run a short length of speaker wire (18 gauge from Menards) out the bottom, under the sub w/a female RCA connector on the end. The plastic grill helps protect the speaker from digging into the wire. No need to go overboard tightening down the cabinet woofer. You can always go out a vent too. The adapter is stereo, but you only need one side (left or right, not both). I just clip onto the woofer terminals with some small alligator clips.

BTW, I'm just up the road in Auburn, holler if you need any help hooking up, I can swing by.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

While on the topic, I finally pulled the trigger and picked up the Klipsch 15” sub for my home theater. All I can say as that this bad boy is insane and sub you can truly feel. Not recommend for apt or condo owners and overkill for a pin.
    [quoted image]

I've got two of those in my insulated 15x18 theater....Just added a Yamaha RX A6A with 7.2.4 Atmos and let's just say I can't go past 60% volume for fear of permanent hearing loss and actual sheetrock damage. They are truly insane subs, gut punching, air moving monsters!!!!

For pinball, would definitely go with the 12" Klipsch instead of 15"'s...Have those on my others

20221221_234954 (resized).jpg20221221_234954 (resized).jpg
    #39 1 year ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

I've got two of those in my insulated 15x18 theater....Just added a Yamaha RX A6A with 7.2.4 Atmos and let's just say I can't go past 60% volume for fear of permanent hearing loss and actual sheetrock damage. They are truly insane subs, gut punching, air moving monsters!!!!
    For pinball, would definitely go with the 12" Klipsch instead of 15"'s...Have those on my others[quoted image]

the klipsch 15 may not even fit under a machine ?

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

the klipsch 15 may not even fit under a machine ?

I don't want to distract from your discussion w/ fooflighter and the 15" sub but I tried a 12" sub once and it really was a bit much. At some point the sub sort of becomes over bearing when compared to the backbox speakers. Sort of like have a home theater w/15" subs and a 5" midrange/tweeter - just not balanced well.

Just my 2 cents, but a 8" or 10" sub is probably a better match.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

The KLIPSCH R120SW is on sale from $600 to $250. Is that too much bass for a pinball machine? Just have to consider it because the Polk PSW10 is the same price point

Back when I had the polk 10, I’d have the gain on the subwoofer maxed out at 100% to get something out of it and it still didn’t have the deep tones the Klipsch 12 has at 20% volume. Yes probably overkill for some, but the klipschs sound great on my rock pins.

#42 1 year ago

I ended up getting everyone’s favorite, the PSW10, on sale at Best Buy for $175. Does anyone have setting recommendations? On the subwoofer itself and on the machine?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/external-subwoofer-options-?hl=pete_d and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.