(Topic ID: 30448)

External Subwoofer Installation - Disconnect Cabinet Sub First?

By HighNoon

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by HighNoon
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I know there have been a few external subwoofer threads already, but I read through them and couldn't find a definitive answer to my question. So here goes. I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_3

I'm going to hook it up to a Whirlwind and a new Stern (X-Men or Avengers, still waiting to decide...). I plan on wiring from the cabinet subwoofer leads (in the bottom of the cabinet) to the speaker level inputs on the external subwoofer. My question is, should I leave the cabinet sub wired in parallel with the external sub or should I disconnect the cabinet sub?

Thanks,
--Luke

#2 11 years ago

I would think it would be best to disconnect the cabinet speaker if you are using an external sub. It would not only be redundant, but it could also potentially conflict with the sub and make everything sound worse.

#3 11 years ago

I've left mine plugged in with no issues. (Guns n roses if that matters)

#4 11 years ago

The stock cabinet speaker provides mid bass. unless you are redoing the backbox speakers, definitely leave it plugged in.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I've left mine plugged in with no issues. (Guns n Roses if that matters)

+1

#6 11 years ago

Yea, I was looking at that exact sub yesterday. Let us know how it sounds when you get it connected! As far a hookup, that sub already has a crossover built it and it's adjustable, so I would think you'd want to connect the main speaker line to it and not the sub line. This would give the subwoofer the pin's full spectum and allow it's own crossover to do it's job as designed. Also, if you have a factory sub (or mid-range) I would disconnect that as well to eliminate possible phasing problems. 50/50 chance on that one. If it sounded like crap in conjunction with the existing sub just reverse polarty on the new sub. Some have a switch for that too. Good luck and let us know!

#7 11 years ago

I ended up having a really nice sub (outlaw) laying around so it is now dedicated to the Lotr and T2. I think you want the cab speaker left in. I don't know about your particular sub but most have a phase switch on them. I beleave you want the midrange produced by your cabinet speaker. Just adjust the sub crossover to your liking. Think your really going to enjoy it.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

Also, if you have a factory sub (or mid-range)...

The "cabinet sub" that I was referring to is just the standard, factory speaker in the bottom of the cabinet. My mistake for not clarifying.

--Luke

#9 11 years ago

So, from a sound perspective, it sounds like I should leave the cabinet speaker hooked up. What about from a stress on the pinball's amp perspective? Am I putting more stress on the pinball's amp by having both speakers hooked up to the point that I could damage it?

--Luke

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

So, from a sound perspective, it sounds like I should leave the cabinet speaker hooked up. What about from a stress on the pinball's amp perspective? Am I putting more stress on the pinball's amp by having both speakers hooked up to the point that I could damage it?
--Luke

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no additional stress on the pinball machine due to the fact that the new sub is "powered".

#11 11 years ago

I agree with GoVols..shouldn't hurt a thing as you're using a powered sub and just getting the signal from the pin amp.

#12 11 years ago

So leaving the existing speaker in, you run wires from where to where? Anyone have pictures?

#13 11 years ago

I used alligator clips right on to the terminals on the cabinet mounted speaker. For my setup I made my own cable. Single RCA to the alligator clips on the pinside. I fed the wires through the grate underneath.

#14 11 years ago

As long as the sub has speaker level inputs you can hook it straight to the cab speaker without any issues. Leave the cab speaker hooked up! Heck on my DM Williams was kind enough to leave an open set of male spade connections on the speaker terminal. Get you two of these and your good to go!

http://www.binbin.net/photos/generic/min/miniature-female-spade-connector-min-spade-female-.jpg

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

So leaving the existing speaker in, you run wires from where to where? Anyone have pictures?

See the pic in the thread below that B_R posted. Its as easy as that.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/external-sub-on-sterns-how-to-help-please

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/external-sub-on-sterns-how-to-help-please

That's an interesting thread. There was some difference of opinion about the correct way to wire up a sub. So just to clarify, the general consensus is that it's perfectly safe to piggy back an external self-powered sub on to the cabinet speaker? If this is true, I'm going to do this on my AC/DC premium. I happen to have a powered sub with speaker level inputs lying around.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Thank you. Thanks to all for their help.

#18 11 years ago

My subwoofer arrives tonight and I will be hooking it up in parallel to the existing speaker. Thanks everybody!

--Luke

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's an interesting thread. There was some difference of opinion about the correct way to wire up a sub. So just to clarify, the general consensus is that it's perfectly safe to piggy back an external self-powered sub on to the cabinet speaker? If this is true, I'm going to do this on my AC/DC premium. I happen to have a powered sub with speaker level inputs lying around.

I didnt read all the different back and forth with respect to ACDC specifically as i dont have one but any/all i have done for stern/williams games of all eras i just connected with existing sub remaining and it has been awesome.

#20 11 years ago

79 bucks at amazon now. I'm thinking about getting one for a future pin.

#21 11 years ago

Ordered mine last night for my Getaway...can't wait!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The stock cabinet speaker provides mid bass. unless you are redoing the backbox speakers, definitely leave it plugged in.

I agree the stock bottom speaker is more of a mid range class then a true sub. Like markmon pointed out unless you are redoing the setup just leave it plugged in. Easier and likely will provide better sound.

Quoted from gweempose:

So just to clarify, the general consensus is that it's perfectly safe to piggy back an external self-powered sub on to the cabinet speaker? If this is true, I'm going to do this on my AC/DC premium. I happen to have a powered sub with speaker level inputs lying around.

From what I have heard from those that have done this (I soon will) it is safe since it is self powered.

#23 11 years ago

Hooked mine up to HSII tonight. Sounds great! Very nice quality sub at a great price!

#24 11 years ago

I hooked my external sub up to the Whirlwind and it sounds great. I left the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet wired up.

Feel the power of the wind!

--Luke

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/external-subwoofer-installation-disconnect-cabinet-sub-first and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.