(Topic ID: 18015)

External sub on Sterns - How to help please?

By Nevus

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MontyB
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130909_161044_480.jpg
    IMG_3035.jpg
    100_0019.JPG
    100_0018.JPG
    AC-DC_5_007.JPG
    AC-DC_5_009.JPG
    AC-DC_5_006.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Asael.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Note: This won't work on AC/DC and a handful of WPC-era pins

And how does it work on an AC/DC?

1 week later
    #12 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I soldered the Extra speaker wires to the cab- Sub on AC/DC ,, Gold to Red ,, Ran the wires thru the screen in the back Right and hook the wires into the 100w self Powered Sub ,, Gold to Red..
    Bring's any Pin to Life ...

Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

def need a line out signal, if you tap into the amplified signal going straight to the speaker in the cab...and run into the input of your powered or unpowered sub, kiss the input section of your sub good bye. You are loading down the output section for the pin speakers with greater resistance load shortening its life.
    The trick is finding the line out signal before it hits the amp on the sound board. ShinyNick's suggestion is much more safe. AND CHEAP!
    The ONLY time I can see tapping off the speaker of an amp is by use of a "passive direct insertion box." just to get that unique sound of the amplifer (I'm refering to tube guitar amps) but thats a non issue here. It adds a transformer isolation to prevent electrical mismatches, but tend to be expensive for a quality one.

So I buyed a Polk 110 Sub and conected it to the cabin sub of my AC/DC just like Black Rose did it. And oh man what a difference, the sound is fantastic. This game is made for an external sub.

But now I read Pinwiz1985 post, and he says that this way I would shorten the life of the input section, so did I wrong?
    A friend of mine who is better with audiosystems told me, that I had connected the external sub parallel to my cabinet speaker and so I am going from 8 Ohm to 4 Ohm and that this coud be dangerous.

Is there an other way for the AC/DC pin to hook a external sub to it? I don't want to play without now that I heard how good it could sound. But I don't want to overload something.

#16 11 years ago

Ok guys^^ and thanks.

#30 11 years ago

Thanks to all, very good posts and explanations here.

Now I let the external sub be hooked to the cabinet speaker. Everybody should try it once. The effect for a game like AC/DC is spectacular!

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

I may try this on my AC/DC sometime. Since you guys seem to like it so much. Is there really a big difference on the premiums that already have the 12" sub in them. My powered sub is only 10" I believe, so not sure if it will help much.

Big improvement!!! Try it, you will like it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Asael.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/external-sub-on-sterns-how-to-help-please?tu=Asael and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.