(Topic ID: 306694)

External sub on Spike2 game?

By VolunteerPin

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VolunteerPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have for years used Polk external subs for my games. 1 sub per 2 pins. Simply have used alligator clips to attach speaker wire to the terminals of the driver in the bottom of the pin.

Did that today on my first two Spike 2 games (Godzilla LE and AIQ-LE) and both started giving me an immediate clipping/clicking noise from the driver in the pin. This continued even if I turned off the sub.

What gives? Do I need to look for a new solution to use external subs on these newer Stern games?

Darin

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I have had no problems with one SPIKE2 pin on the Polk sub's speaker level inputs. For multiple pins, you probably need to use Pinovators, which connects to the subwoofer through the line-level inputs. Just out of curiosity, were you careful to make sure you had the + and - terminals properly connected and not reversed on one of the games?

Yeah, but I can double check some other time I guess.

Quoted from rockrand:

I discovered this on new stern games,you need one pinovators sub kit and use it one one of the games!
This is only one way I am sure you will get more advice?
I believe they are around 35.00

So, same as always on one pin and the pinnovators on the other? Thought you could do multiple pins with pinnovators or maybe I'm thinking of something else?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Had similar interference issues like this on spike games with Ehoh and aiq. pinnovators pinsub and the pinsub mixer, which allows 4 pins on one sub with individual volume control, solved the issue. The issue I believe is because the games are sharing a ground through the subwoofer. I’ve found the sound quality to be better with these products compared to just alligator clips, which I had previously used exclusively.
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stern-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-spike-spike2-stern-kit
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stern-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsmx-passive-subwoofer-mixer

Perfect. I'll check it out.

Your post must have hit as I was typing mine above.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.00
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sarasota, FL
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Loveland, CO
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VolunteerPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/external-sub-on-spike2-game?tu=VolunteerPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.