• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4968 (resized).JPG
IMG_4967 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Ive read a ton of posts on external subs and think what i want to do is cool but
just wanted to throw it out there and see if im right. I have a SBM and a F2K
that i want to hook up to an extra sub that i have. So all i have to do is run
off each bottom speaker of each cabinet with my speaker wire into the inline
connections on the back of the sub and all is good? thx for any insight.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Ive read a ton of posts on external subs and think what i want to do is cool but
just wanted to throw it out there and see if im right. I have a SBM and a F2K
that i want to hook up to an extra sub that i have. So all i have to do is run
off each bottom speaker of each cabinet with my speaker wire into the inline
connections on the back of the sub and all is good? thx for any insight.

What kind of subwoofer? (make and model) Does it have line inputs, high level (speaker level) inputs, or both?

#3 5 years ago

Here's how I do it. You can add/remove/switch games very easy. The subs I have let you hook up 2 at the same time. Depends on your sub and inputs.

IMG_4967 (resized).JPGIMG_4967 (resized).JPGIMG_4968 (resized).JPGIMG_4968 (resized).JPG
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

The subs I have let you hook up 2 at the same time.

What method are you using to connect them and how does that change the impedance/load at the sound board?

#5 5 years ago

The polks are designed for 2 inputs. Vid has a pretty detailed post here somewhere.

#6 5 years ago

Early solid state games sound great with a powered external sub, and even better if you can stick a small tweeter someplace. Early Bally games have a heat vent on the front of the head pedestal that is a good spot. I have this on my centaur and Medusa, and also just did black hole and haunted house.

I just use alligator clips connected to speaker wire to tap off the cabinet speaker, very easy and reversible.

#7 5 years ago

Thx for the replies. I have a sony 10 inch or 8 inch Polk i can use with the high level inputs. Glad to know i can do this. Thx

1 year later
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Early solid state games sound great with a powered external sub, and even better if you can stick a small tweeter someplace. Early Bally games have a heat vent on the front of the head pedestal that is a good spot. I have this on my centaur and Medusa, and also just did black hole and haunted house.
I just use alligator clips connected to speaker wire to tap off the cabinet speaker, very easy and reversible.

What tweeter do you use - I'm thinking i could put one into the head pedestal of my medusa.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Grefla:

What tweeter do you use - I'm thinking i could put one into the head pedestal of my medusa.

You could add a cheap piezo tweeter without worrying about using a crossover, just connect up with you normal speaker.

Like these https://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/loudspeakers8.htm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 125.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 199.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/external-sub-early-solid-states?hl=grefla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.