Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by Atari_Daze
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8996 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6198 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6174 (resized).jpeg
    #1 40 days ago

If you're on the main thread for the Foo Fighters owners, you've likely seen this setup of mine more than enough times, but I started playing around with the lights and set them to music reactive mode for the first time tonight.

I uploaded a brief video of the results to YouTube a moment ago:

As someone who has spent a lot of time and money on lighting effects for this game, this is possibly overkill even for me (even if the effect didn't look like it is celebrating Pride Month as this example appears to be), but would you consider it if it was a light show fully integrated with the topper and traditional expression lights?

The parts weren't super cheap, and installation is tricky. I think Stern (or any other manufacturer would have to modify the cabinet design to make installation supportable. This one involved banging the molding with the LED strips inside fairly stiffly with a mallet over and over. The potential for damage was high, but I made it work.

I have always played with the lights set to solid and static red, and they don't affect the playfield at all from a player's perspective. With Voodoo Glass, there's not much glare for a spectator, even when combined with black mirror side blades. Pictures of the glare effects look way harsher than they do in person.

What do you think? Has this been done before or even patented by Stern already? If not, how overboard vs. interesting would connecting the light show between side blades and toppers be to you, especially if it was a programmed show like expression lights?
    IMG_6174 (resized).jpegIMG_6174 (resized).jpegIMG_6198 (resized).jpegIMG_6198 (resized).jpeg

#3 40 days ago

I like it.

#4 39 days ago

Im not a fan

#5 39 days ago

Did this on iron man 10 years ago

#6 39 days ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Did this on iron man 10 years ago

Sorry for your loss

#7 39 days ago

To be fair, it is pride month after all.

#8 39 days ago
    IMG_8996 (resized).jpegIMG_8996 (resized).jpeg
    #9 39 days ago

A great accompaniment to Lumalegz!!

#10 39 days ago
    Quoted from HeronameX:

If you're on the main thread for the Foo Fighters owners, you've likely seen this setup of mine more than enough times, but I started playing around with the lights and set them to music reactive mode for the first time tonight.
    I uploaded a brief video of the results to YouTube a moment ago:
    As someone who has spent a lot of time and money on lighting effects for this game, this is possibly overkill even for me (even if the effect didn't look like it is celebrating Pride Month as this example appears to be), but would you consider it if it was a light show fully integrated with the topper and traditional expression lights?
    The parts weren't super cheap, and installation is tricky. I think Stern (or any other manufacturer would have to modify the cabinet design to make installation supportable. This one involved banging the molding with the LED strips inside fairly stiffly with a mallet over and over. The potential for damage was high, but I made it work.
    I have always played with the lights set to solid and static red, and they don't affect the playfield at all from a player's perspective. With Voodoo Glass, there's not much glare for a spectator, even when combined with black mirror side blades. Pictures of the glare effects look way harsher than they do in person.
    What do you think? Has this been done before or even patented by Stern already? If not, how overboard vs. interesting would connecting the light show between side blades and toppers be to you, especially if it was a programmed show like expression lights?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

You could easily mirror the expression lights without any programming. This style of t-molding exists because this has been done for arcade machines in the past. It’s been around for over a decade but people only really wanted it for Tron back in the day on KLOV. It’s now used in some newer production redemption games.
    Personally, it’s not for me.

#11 39 days ago

Not a knock on the OP, but what is with the obsession with lighting every square inch of a pinball machine?
    From the plunger, to the leg protectors, the flipper buttons, the legs themselves, under the cabinet, behind the cabinet, inside the cabinet (pinstadiums), the speakers, now the t-molding. Next we'll have lockdown bar lighting and coin door lighting. What's left?

I'd actually like to see a game with every lighting mod installed and cranked to 11.

#12 39 days ago

Seems like a bit of overkill. Wouldn't the lights glare off the playfield glass?

#13 38 days ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Next we'll have lockdown bar lighting and coin door lighting.

Oh man, thanks for the idea.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.