Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by genex
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3955.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CRWgxp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Registration will be opening for ExpoBrawl shortly.

ExpoBrawl is the Friday tournament at Pinball Expo. It takes place on 10/17 this year. We are changing things up a bit with a new format to keep things fresh and address some concerns we've heard in the past. The tournament will run from approximately 7 AM to 1 PM. We are shortening the event to encourage more people to attend and open up opportunities for participants to enjoy more of the show, not being locked into a full day tournament.

Specifics are being ironed out as I type this, but you can expect a fun well run event with high quality trophies at a reduced cost from the past.

Thanks
    Chris

1 week later
    #7 9 years ago

ExpoBrawl 2014 

As previously mentioned we decided to change the format up a little bit to keep things fresh. We are also shortening the event to reflect concerns we have heard in the past about the duration of the tournament. This year the format is “Pin Golf”.

Additionally we heard the concerns about the cost of the tournament so we have reduced the cost this year. No lunch or t-shirts will be provided, but trophies will remain of the same high quality we have provided in the past. We will provide doughnuts and/or bagels in the morning.

As in the past Pinball Expo wristbands must be purchased separately and are required to enter the hall to participate in ExpoBrawl.

At this point we are planning on limiting teams to 54 but may be able to accommodate additional teams. Registration will be first come, first serve.

When - Friday 10/17
    Where - Pinball Expo free play area
    Cost - $30 per 2 player team. Please contact CRWgxp on pinside.com or email [email protected]. Paypal or personal checks will be accepted.

Schedule (subject to change based on number of participants) -

Check-in - 7 - 7:25 AM
    Elimination / Qualifying - 7:30 AM - 10:45 AM
    Finals 11 AM - 12:30 PM
    Awards 12:45 - 1 PM

Format -

As in the past teams consist of two players.  Two teams will be partnered together to play a course and validate each others scores.  

We will start with the entire field playing all at the same time (aka shotgun start).  The number of courses and holes will depend on the number of registered teams

Elimination / Qualifying -
    This is planned to take place on one or more courses from approximately 7:30 AM - 10:45 AM.  Everyone will play one or more courses (as determined by the number of participants) with approximately the top half of the field qualifying for finals.

Finals -

Finals will take place from approximately 11 AM - 12:30 PM.

We will take the field and divide into 2 divisions (may be altered based on the number of participants) and randomly select a course for each division to play.  At the end of this course tiebreakers will be settled and the tournament will end.  

Trophies -

Trophies/plaques awarded to the top 3 teams in each division.

Additionally a trophy will be awarded for the best game used in the tournament.

#21 9 years ago

I'm caught up on email. Like Todd mentioned I try to take a break from the computer on the weekends.

We are currently at 16 registrations. I'll also help pair up anyone looking for a partner!

Thanks for everyones patience.
    Chris

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I was hoping the new format would allow to me to sleep past sunrise. Oh well.

Yancy - understand the concern. We'd like to sleep in too but also wanted to get people out around lunch time so this seemed like the best window. Hopefully we'll see you in the future.

Thanks
    Chris

#29 9 years ago

We are approaching half full. Registrations to [email protected] or here on Pinside to me (CRWgxp).

Thanks
    Chris

1 week later
    #30 9 years ago

Still a few openings. http://www.slam-tilt.com/expo

Thanks
    Chris

1 week later
    #39 9 years ago

I believe I'm caught up on emails and PM's. Teams should be added to website shortly. More rules and details coming tonight.

#40 9 years ago

Full rules are updated and will be sent to registered teams within the next 24 hours. If you are not yet registered and want to see the full rules let me know.

Here's a highlight of how it is going to work -

- Check-in from 7:00 - 7:25 AM.

- Qualifying from 7:30 - 10:45 AM.

- Finals from 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM.

- Pin-golf style, meaning each game (hole) has a target score or achievement. Reaching that target on ball 1, results in a score of 1. Reaching the target on ball 2, results in a 2, etc. Not reaching the target results in a score of 4.

- Scores for both team members are added together and result in a total team score.

- There will be three "golf" courses consisting of up to 9 games each.

- Everyone will play all three courses.

- During each course teams will be paired with a different team.

- We will take the scores after all three courses and the top 24 (with lowest scores) will qualify for finals. Highly skilled teams may be limited to a certain division or divisions.

- Top 8 play in A, next 8 in B, next 8 in C division.

- The three divisions will be randomly placed into a course for the final round.

- We have awards for the top 3 in each division. Awards are a high quality as in the past with all ExpoBrawl events.

- We have three sponsors (one for each course) and have prizes from them to give away.

Thanks
    Chris

#41 9 years ago

Anyone wanting to play but doesn't have a partner let me know.

#45 9 years ago

Yes it's definitely a lot of pinball to fit in to the allotted time, but we felt this was the easiest way to accommodate a large number of teams without waiting from the start. If we go with the maximum 9 holes per course we can accommodate 54 teams playing right away. We have considered chopping off registration at 48 and going with 8 games per course. It doesn't sound like much but every little bit helps.

From our understanding there will be a large number of older games at Expo this year which will aid in shorter game times. Additionally, we plan to have targets that are achievable within a reasonable amount of time.

Regarding the layout, yes we will utilize a sensible layout as much as possible. Unfortunately this is something we'll have to determine on Wednesday and/or Thursday as we see the layout and the games being selected.

We will do our best to keep things on schedule and running smoothly. As always feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

#47 9 years ago

Room for one more team. Hit me up if you want in. Here's a sample pic of the 1st and 2nd place trophies....

IMG_3955.jpgIMG_3955.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CRWgxp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expobrawl-2014-new-format?tu=CRWgxp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.