New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 63362)

ExpoBrawl 2013

By EXPOBRAWL

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DNO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6363_SPins_1046f.jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Registration is still open for ExpoBrawl. Spots are filling up fast.

This is a two player tournament that takes place on Friday 10/18 at Chicago Pinball Expo. We provide lunch, t-shirts and a fun tournament!

www.expobrawl.com or expobrawl@opl-league.com for more info.

Everyone that has contacted us has been responded to at this point. The website will be updated with more registrations soon.

Thanks
    ExpoBrawl Staff

#2 7 years ago

I would like to play again this year but don't have a partner.

#3 7 years ago

What percentage of the entry fees are paid out in the prize pool? Do you have a breakdown of payouts by division?

#4 7 years ago

I would love to play too, but my partner may not be going now..

#5 7 years ago

This sounds fun - who's good at design & wants to team up so we can have a bad-ass logo?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

What percentage of the entry fees are paid out in the prize pool? Do you have a breakdown of payouts by division?

Prize pool?

#7 7 years ago

They try to pair up folks that are singles.

#8 7 years ago

Oh right, I forgot this is the tournament where all the entry fees magically disappear.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Oh right, I forgot this is the tournament where all the entry fees magically disappear.

I know! It's strange because donuts for breakfast, lunch, trophies, t-shirts and supplies are free! Right? </sarcasm>

#10 7 years ago

Zen, the Fireman is going. Does he have a partner?

#11 7 years ago

Yeah, my son Connor! Team Pinball Pro!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZEN:

I would love to play too, but my partner may not be going now..

Check with pinballer 22

#13 7 years ago

I recommend doing this, despite the very high price tag ($43 per person, which isn't outrageous, just high). I had a lot of fun last year and played with a lot of really cool people.

Wouldn't surprise me if some people spend spend more on Flip Out.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

I know! It's strange because donuts for breakfast, lunch, trophies, t-shirts and supplies are free! Right? </sarcasm>

Obviously I realize that stuff isn't free, but it doesn't seem to add up to anything near the total collected from the entry fees.

When I'm putting my money into a tournament I just like to know where it goes. Who organizes this? I'd be happy to have a private conversation about it if you don't want to post all the numbers (even though I don't see why it needs to be secret).

#15 7 years ago

#16 7 years ago

I'll do it if I have the money soon probably not and a partner. Spots will probably be gone oh well next year.

#17 7 years ago

edit*** Just to be clear I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EXPOBRAWL*** Just tossing out some numbers

It does bring in a ton of cash, but there are some decent costs associated with any event like this.

Rough guestimates:

$85 per team registration cost

minus $20 for 2 shirts
    minus $5 for 'breakfast' doughnuts
    minus $15 for 2 lunches

equals $45 actual cost to play per team

$45 X 56 teams = $2520 in the pot.

Then you need to take out for trophies. Last year trophies were pretty nice.
    7 divisions with 4 trophies per division (2 for 1st and 2 for 2nd in each division) = 28 trophies X ~$40 per trophy = $1120

This leaves around $1400 not accounted for. That is pretty easily eaten up by even a small miscalculation from my above guesstimates.

Heck, I would guess from what I have heard that the expo organizer probably charges the expobrawl team just to use the room??? Just a WAG, but it would fit with the MO of what I saw last year.

Basically, I do not feel too bad paying $12.50 per person for all the effort that goes into running something like this even if it is just being pocketted. As far as I am concerned, I could do without the tshirt and lunch to save on cost per person (esp since my wife can't even eat any of the food). In the grand scheme of things, it is just pinball and it is worth the price since it is loads of fun!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Obviously I realize that stuff isn't free, but it doesn't seem to add up to anything near the total collected from the entry fees.
    When I'm putting my money into a tournament I just like to know where it goes. Who organizes this? I'd be happy to have a private conversation about it if you don't want to post all the numbers (even though I don't see why it needs to be secret).

Sadly I am in the same boat. I played last year and would never do it again. We even did well, qualifying for the B division, just missing A, but it was like flushing the money down the toilet and wasting an entire morning and afternoon, missing out on all the talks and speakers. For $40+ you get to play...the same games that you get to play for free during Expo and there is no prize package anyway. Those little trophies cost no where near $40 each...and if they did, the organizers need to find another trophy shop cause that would be highway robbery at that price. A few bucks for a one sided white t-shirt, some donuts and a sandwhich. I am not against a tournament organizer making a profit, but it doesn't add up IMHO...not even close. Not to mention the qualifying shenanigans that many believed were going on.

#19 7 years ago

Sometimes it's about the competition with some of the best players in the world and conversing with some old/new friends along the way and not about winning money. If you're looking to make money, I could be wrong but I don't think pinball tournaments is the right avenue to be taking.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bomba:

Sometimes it's about the competition with some of the best players in the world and conversing with some old/new friends along the way and not about winning money. If you're looking to make money, I could be wrong but I don't think pinball tournaments is the right avenue to be taking.

Unless your really good and willing to put money into traveling then no its not the right avenue. I'm not great and I don't have a lot to put in but I've still gone to a few farther ones just for fun.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bomba:

If it's only about competition and conversing with people...that can all be done on those same games, for free during normal hours at Expo. No need to pay $40+ for it.

#22 7 years ago

I played last year and really enjoyed it. Me and my partner ended up having a great time. I can't go this year but you can be sure I will play that tournament next time I hit Expo. I really enjoyed watching other players much better than me just totally kick my ass. I also enjoyed that one game on POTC where I played WAYYYYYY above my pay grade and did some ass kicking of my own. Looking back at it though, that one great game probably ended up putting us in the wrong division for the finals because we were clearly out matched from that point on. Still a blast though and I really didn't even think about the cost of entry or the possible payout. Just had fun.....

#23 7 years ago

Bomba, it has nothing to do with expecting to win money. In fact, my chances of winning anything would be very low. I've played plenty of competition for the fun factor, but I've never just plunked down 40 bucks without at least the CHANCE of winning some back.

I just like the balance of tournaments where entry fees go back to the players, not the organizer walking off with a wad of cash. I'm not suggesting that's the case here, just trying to get the details before I make a decision.

#24 7 years ago

Someone is walking of with some amount of cash wether it be Expo or Expobrawl.

The only thing I would like to see is some sort of way to prevent the sandbagging that occured blatently at last years event. We solved that at MRP this year by incorporating an individual IFPA aspect into the qualifying round. Basically, people were not willing to sandbag for brawl when the are competing individually for IFPA points at the same time.

It would also be cool to have some IFPA points awarded for brawl play.

We are already recording all the scores so might as well use them on the back end as the expo mini-game.

#25 7 years ago

Ive played in some kind of expo brawl the last 7 or 8 years. Too much money for what you get. Stand around and wait for the players waiting around for a machine, thus takes all freakin day and you get to play 4 to 5 matches, screw that, Im going to Terrys

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Check with pinballer 22

Will do, would love to play this year....

#27 7 years ago

I think it's a blast. We came in second in A last year and won B the year before. In AZ, Mark Pearson and I are really the two players that can hang in A--and we battle every year in our league. It's fun to play as a team. We meet some cool people on the way, too. My favorite day of Expo. Is somebody REALLY counting the money? We spend thousands of dollars in this hobby--it's really petty to bitch over $85. The OPL does a great job of running it, having taken over following Pinbrawl's departure.

EXPO is a money-making venture for Berk and Pacak. I would imagine it's Mike's best payday of the year(though I have no clue what he does for a living). Why begrudge them a profit?

#28 7 years ago

It's at the same time as Pinball Life's Party.....I picked the party (at least this time).

#29 7 years ago

Wow, I am not going but have noticed that pinheads can be cheapskates!

In unrelated news, fewer and fewer pins on location making enough money to keep the doors open...

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

We spend thousands of dollars in this hobby--it's really petty to bitch over $85

You and others on Pinside may spend thousands of dollars in this hobby. I don't.

There's a number of facets to the hobby we call pinball, including competition and playing games on route, which doesn't cost as much as ownership.

Routes still attract people to this hobby. In Milwaukee we have a pinball community that exists around routes, with people who love pinball but do not own machines in their homes. While that isn't the case everywhere, it still exists here.

I have one friend into pinball that is a fantastic player but a stay-at-home father. He grew up in arcades and bars, and is a serious competitor. But it isn't easy for him to get the money to go to these things - lots of spousal negotiation. For him, making a decision on something like this is challenging.

Looking forward to seeing you at ExpoBrawl, pinlawyer. Maybe we could get a chance to talk, I'd love to hear about your collection. Coming from AZ to IL, that takes some dedication.

1 week later
    #31 7 years ago

We are planning on limiting to 48 teams this year and are almost full. Please email us if you are planning on registering or are looking for a partner.

Thanks

#32 7 years ago

bump!

anyone wanna be on a team with me? I feel like a loser b/c I don't know anyone who's gonna be there.

#33 7 years ago

Try not beating on the machines. I had my BoP there last year and watched a match where a guy kicked it twice and punched is several times. After the game ended and I mentioned I needed to get something form my machine and opened the coin door, he didn't say anything but was totally guilty couldn't even look in my direction. Makes me consider not letting my machines get used in the brawl.

#34 7 years ago

Calvin >> I won't let that crap stand if I see any of it this year.

Thanks for bringing games and letting them be in brawl! I try to do my part for MGC and I am glad you CHItown guys do what you can for expo.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Try not beating on the machines. I had my BoP there last year and watched a match where a guy kicked it twice and punched is several times. After the game ended and I mentioned I needed to get something form my machine and opened the coin door, he didn't say anything but was totally guilty couldn't even look in my direction. Makes me consider not letting my machines get used in the brawl.

While it's bad that someone did this, the same stuff can/does happen during the free play time at Expo as well. If it happens again, please let the EB staff know.

My WCS 2 years ago survived EB just fine, but during free play the coin returns were filled with gum and the plunger was broken by pulling on it hard

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

You should have kicked and punched him several times.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Me and ovfdfireman played our last game of the tournament in your BOP! We were beaten soundly, but I think we played against that guy. At one point during the game he slammed his fist so hard into the lock bar/glass area that the fireman and I both jumped. At that point, the fun of the tournament instantly left us and we were glad to be done. It's no fun playing with people who are poor sports and have so little respect for other peoples property.

Note to EB organizers....that kind of behavior reflects very poorly on the event as a whole. This game was set up right next to the score table area and there is no way that smack could have been missed from that short distance. No one came over to see what happened or to remind the player of the rules. I think something should have been done by the EB officials. I had a blast all the way up to that point! Even in losing, I enjoyed the tournament but was very glad to be done and spent the rest of my day at PBL!!

#38 7 years ago

Im in again this year. Im with Hilton though. SO MUCH sandbagging last year. I hope there is some way to combat that this time.

#39 7 years ago

Everyone should be told not to beat on the games if you need to punch something punch yourself like I did at mad Rollins almost knocked myself out don't touch other property like that should dock points or loss of whole tourney.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Im in again this year. Im with Hilton though. SO MUCH sandbagging last year. I hope there is some way to combat that this time.

How do you sandbag at Brawl? Doesn't it go by IFPA rating?

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from sk8ball:

How do you sandbag at Brawl? Doesn't it go by IFPA rating?

There were a bunch of pros (top 500 IFPA) purposely losing during the morning rounds (Swiss rounds of play that seed you into the afternoon divisional play) so they could then clean house during the afternoon play. A few were even freely admitting that they were sandbagging because they "really wanted to win a trophy".

I am not sure how anyone would feel proud displaying a Division G or H trophy when they normally would have ended up in A B or C if they even tried slightly during the morning???

#42 7 years ago

Just get everybody to sandbag and all that will be left in the A and B will be regular Joe's.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Me and ovfdfireman played our last game of the tournament in your BOP! We were beaten soundly, but I think we played against that guy. At one point during the game he slammed his fist so hard into the lock bar/glass area that the fireman and I both jumped. At that point, the fun of the tournament instantly left us and we were glad to be done. It's no fun playing with people who are poor sports and have so little respect for other peoples property.
    Note to EB organizers....that kind of behavior reflects very poorly on the event as a whole. This game was set up right next to the score table area and there is no way that smack could have been missed from that short distance. No one came over to see what happened or to remind the player of the rules. I think something should have been done by the EB officials. I had a blast all the way up to that point! Even in losing, I enjoyed the tournament but was very glad to be done and spent the rest of my day at PBL!!

glad you got to enjoy the game. I'm bringing games again this year,I know they won't get to beat up at expo.but it is frustrating to see when it does happen.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

There were a bunch of pros (top 500 IFPA) purposely losing during the morning rounds (Swiss rounds of play that seed you into the afternoon divisional play) so they could then clean house during the afternoon play. A few were even freely admitting that they were sandbagging because they "really wanted to win a trophy".

Yeah.... A bunch of pros, eh? Sure. Whatever. Either you don't know any of these people (who is a pro, who isn't), or misunderstood some folks joking around about doing poorly.

Looking back at 2012 results, most teams ended up +1/-1 a division where I would expect them too land. Todd and Bowen were the worse offenders, but you are delusional to think either of them tanked to get into a lower division just for a trophy.

Given the limited qualifying time and some good/bad luck, it's easy to be to higher or lower than one would expect.

Where sandbagging usually comes into play is from the non "pros" -- those that do not regularly play in competitive tournaments. These folks get some luck, play a little over their heads and realize they will be in a division with Bowen, Keith and the Sharpes of the world. Seeing their opportunity to win a trophy pretty much gone, they do what they can to get out of that division.

Ever since the "brawl" (Pinbrawl or Expobrawl) tournaments started nearly 10 years ago, this has always happened.

#45 7 years ago

I'm a pro? Thanks! Mark Pearson and I took second place in A. We won B the year before. I can assure you, we didn't "throw" a single game. I saw no sandbagging. We were beaten by Keith Elwin and Adam Lefkoff. We were, to say the least, thrilled with our performance.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

Yeah.... A bunch of pros, eh? Sure. Whatever. Either you don't know any of these people (who is a pro, who isn't), or misunderstood some folks joking around about doing poorly.

Sorry, but I know them and they were not joking. It is both sad and true.

I was amazed and shocked when last year one team told me, "eh, we did not do very well in our first round so now we are just going to tank so we can win a trophy". They then went on to tell me and point out a few other teams that were doing the same thing ( I assume to justify what they felt guilty about doing).

Funny part was that particular team did not even win the division they sand bagged in to. I figured it was instant pinball karma.

I hope the organizers come up with a system to try and prevent any sand bagging this year. I also hope they actually enforce the "no waiting" rule to help keep things moving. It will make it way more fun for all involved.

I had enough fun last year to give it another shot this year. If I change my mind after this year then I will likely just go to the pinxplosion at PBL instead next year.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

I'm a pro? Thanks! Mark Pearson and I took second place in A. We won B the year before. I can assure you, we didn't "throw" a single game. I saw no sandbagging. We were beaten by Keith Elwin and Adam Lefkoff. We were, to say the least, thrilled with our performance.

Let's hope for a rematch with Lefkoff jr!

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

I was not saying everyone was doing it, but it only takes a few...

#49 7 years ago

I was amazed and shocked when last year one team told me, "eh, we did not do very well in our first round so now we are just going to tank so we can win a trophy". They then went on to tell me and point out a few other teams that were doing the same thing ( I assume to justify what they felt guilty about doing). Funny part was that particular team did not even win the division they sand bagged in to. I figured it was instant pinball karma.

So who? I've been playing competitive for 10 years and know most of the top players and I just don't see it. Your clue about not winning the division filters out most of the divisions, so I have NO idea who you are talking about (Feel free to PM me). Divisions C, D, E, F and G didn't have anyone I would consider "pro" or "top" players that didn't win! http://www.ifpapinball.com/eb/past.html

I hope the organizers come up with a system to try and prevent any sand bagging this year. I also hope they actually enforce the "no waiting" rule to help keep things moving. It will make it way more fun for all involved.

I will agree there needs to be some tweaks -- maybe a format less prone to waiting -- but I am not sure what Chris has planned.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

They call it 'Brawl' for a reason!

Seriously, there's no excuse for abusing games. Not accepatble. Anywhere.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 22.50
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Other
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 1,248.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 26.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 37.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Cento Creations
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside