Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-909.jpg
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I tried emailing Mike Pacak, but haven't gotten a response.

This is the first time that I'll EVER be able to make the Stern tour. (And...likely my last opportunity).

I can't figure out how to make sure I have two tickets to the tour. I do NOT want to miss it since I am taking an extra day off of work JUST so I can go.

My wife and I already have a pass into the hall and seminars for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Are the Stern Tour tickets just paying for the shuttle over, or is it the entire experience? If I can't "officially" buy two tickets to the tour, can I just drive to Stern and join the tour?

Need to know soon so I can make plans...

Pete

#2 9 years ago

Try emailing Jody at stern

#3 9 years ago

Nobody knows the answer to this, or has run across this in the past?

I'm okay contacting Jody...but was hoping for someone that had a similar experience that could shed some light on it.

Pete

#4 9 years ago

I emailed Rob Berk, not Mike. I'm bringing games to cover my entry to the hall but it doesn't cover the Stern Tour. I printed off the Expo registration and mailed in a check along with the registration form for what is listed on the registration as Additional Stern Tour Tickets. I don't think you can get into the building without a ticket that day as they collect them at the door. Not sure if you drive there yourself if it's cheaper, but I'd email Rob. His email address is on the Expo website.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks, I just emailed Rob.

I'll let you know what I find out.

#6 9 years ago

at least in the past tickets were required to get on the bus, anyone on the bus was going on the tour. it was a single ticket.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

at least in the past tickets were required to get on the bus, anyone on the bus was going on the tour. it was a single ticket.

Last year they checked the ticket at the hotel getting on the bus, then again at the door at stern. At least in my group they did.

#8 9 years ago

Well, it's been kind of frustrating so far. I've been digging for an answer for a couple weeks now, and can't get a solid response.

I NEVER get to go to the tour because I can't take that much time away from school. (It's one thing to take a Friday off...but to do the tour, I've got to take Thursday AND Friday...and that never works out).

This year, I finally have a shot to get both days off. It'll be my only chance ever to do this tour.

I'll send a message to Jody, too....just in case that gets me anywhere.

Pete

#9 9 years ago

Let the man go on the tour for the love of Pete!

image-909.jpgimage-909.jpg

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Last year they checked the ticket at the hotel getting on the bus, then again at the door at stern. At least in my group they did.

exactly its just the one ticket.

#11 9 years ago

Does anyone have a direct way to contact Jody?

PM me if you do...

Pete

#12 9 years ago

You could probably message them via Facebook.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

You could probably message them via Facebook.

Unfortunately, I can't get on Facebook from here.

Pete

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

I can't figure out how to make sure I have two tickets to the tour.

I thought you could buy these once you get to the hotel starting on Wednesday?

#15 9 years ago

I sent a message to Stern with your question.

#16 9 years ago

Last year I just wanted to go on the tour and simply bought a yellow tour only ticket from the registration desk for $40 or $50. I took my own transport to the Stern factory, not the yellow bus, but needed the ticket to go in to the factory and join a tour. They split everone in to groups of about 15 with a tour guide (a Stern staff member) who takes you round the factory.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

I thought you could buy these once you get to the hotel starting on Wednesday?

We won't be getting there until early on Thursday. Just wanted to make sure our spot was guaranteed.

Does the tour fill up?

I'm getting some responses from Mike and Rob...so things are on the right track!

I'll keep you posted...

Pete

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Does the tour fill up?

Great question - and my concern. I didn't think it would and the wife and I arrive on Wednesday afternoon. Was just planning on buying the package deal for both of us when we arrive at the hotel.

Hopefully that will be ok... would hate to come in Wednesday and not be able to take the tour on Thursday.

#19 9 years ago

I think the only issue is with the buses. Mike/Rob need to know how many people are going ahead of time so they can have the number of buses lined-up ahead of time. I'm sure if you drive over yourself it won't be an issue; but you'll still need a ticket at the door.

#20 9 years ago

Tickets are checked at door to Stern generally Stern does not allow walk up..

#21 9 years ago

This is the response I got from Stern:

"I would ask the folks at Expo. The tour is through them."

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Well, it's been kind of frustrating so far. I've been digging for an answer for a couple weeks now, and can't get a solid response.
    I NEVER get to go to the tour because I can't take that much time away from school. (It's one thing to take a Friday off...but to do the tour, I've got to take Thursday AND Friday...and that never works out).
    This year, I finally have a shot to get both days off. It'll be my only chance ever to do this tour.
    I'll send a message to Jody, too....just in case that gets me anywhere.
    Pete

Unless you live really, really far away, this is not true. (Looks like you are near Kalamazoo, an easy drive to Chicago.)

Anyone can contact Stern (Jody) and set up a factory tour on most days, outside of the Expo tour. Oh, and it's free.

From Yelp:
    "I'm not sure if they do this for everyone, but check their website and email: [email protected] and request a tour. The tour was free for us but I think they should totally charge. Their tour is ridiculously in depth and you can see these people are incredibly 1) knowledgeable 2) passionate about the pinning world.

TOURS ARE M-F ONLY!!
    ** I'd recommend getting your own car and driving here if you are coming from DT Chicago. I think it's actually closer if you come from O'Hare airport.**"

-Mark

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

We won't be getting there until early on Thursday. Just wanted to make sure our spot was guaranteed.
    Does the tour fill up?
    I'm getting some responses from Mike and Rob...so things are on the right track!
    I'll keep you posted...
    Pete

FYI, one year, I left around 3:00 am Thursday morning from suburban Detroit and arrived at Expo when it was at the Ramada (Now Holiday Inn Express) O'Hare around 8:30 am. I was able to walk up to the desk, Hand over $120 cash or maybe $130 and get a full expo package. I put the envelope in my car and took my Stern Tour ticket, got on a bus and went on the tour.

#24 9 years ago

Did you ever figure out the tour? I was hoping to meet at stern factory as I will not get to Chicago until that Thursday morning. Can a person get tickets in person at the factory?

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

Did you ever figure out the tour? I was hoping to meet at stern factory as I will not get to Chicago until that Thursday morning. Can a person get tickets in person at the factory?

Nope, they don't sell tickets at the door at Stern. But I'm guessing if you know somebody that is going to be at the hotel wednesday/thursday AM they could probably buy a ticket for you and meet you there.

#26 9 years ago

I don't have a problem doing it for you Justin but I don't want to assume I am allowed to do it. If you can verify that it is ok, then I will do it. Basically, I don't want to write a check that can't be cashed.

#27 9 years ago

We never take the bus to the factory anymore. We drive and park there and walk up to the door right when the buses pull up. Tickets will need to be purchased through the Expo staff either by mailing in the form or maybe at the registration desk. You can not buy factory tour tickets at the factory.

#28 9 years ago

Nothing can replace seeing the Stern factory in person, but if you are not going to Expo and/or the Stern factory tour, here you go

#29 9 years ago

Nice vid. I want one of those rotisseries.

For those of you who have done this expo tour before, how long did it take? When did you get back?

#30 9 years ago

Very cool Ed. An amazing process.

#31 9 years ago

30-45 mins
    Though you might have to wait outside for your groups turn
    Real cool though
    Pending on your group leader it could be any stern employee

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Nothing can replace seeing the Stern factory in person, but if you are not going to Expo and/or the Stern factory tour, here you go
    » YouTube video

Great vid, thanks for posting.

#33 9 years ago

we will be able to sell tickets at door MIKE PACAK

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

» YouTube video

Pretty cool video, Thanks for making & posting. The video shows that Jody does not know much about pinball machine internals or manufacturing but he is a good marketing and money guy.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

» YouTube video

Thanks Ed!
    That was really cool.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Hey Mike,

How late are you guys going to be at the front tables on Wednesday? I'd like to buy my tickets early...but I don't know if we will be in town until 8 or 9pm.

Will someone be there that I can buy Tour Tickets from at that time?

Thanks!
    Pete

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Wait...do you mean at the Stern Factory door?

That'd be cool...

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Wait...do you mean at the Stern Factory door?
    That'd be cool...

yes, that is what I was recently told as well

Discount for not using the bus service would be nice

#39 9 years ago

Awesome video, thanks for sharing!

#40 9 years ago

Mike was talking about at the show. The registration desk is open until 10pm on Wednesday, and opens at 8am on Thursday. The tour leaves at 9am on Thursday. You should be able to get tickets before you go, even if getting in late.

If you have troubles, Mike will be there and can help.

Andrew
    630-329-5160

#41 9 years ago

OK so here is my question...

My buddy and I are flying in from NC EARLY Thursday morning. As in, landing at 7:30 am. I do not know if we will be able to make it to the hotel and get on the bus by 9, if there is any traffic going that way I think we're gonna get hosed.

Has anyone figured out if you can meet the tour at the Stern factory and get your tickets there, or do they HAVE to be purchased at the Expo prior to getting on the bus.

Thanks to anyone who might have information for us!! The Stern tour is one of the main reasons we are going, and I would absolutely hate to miss it for some reason. We would have come in Weds night, but I'm working until midnite, then getting to the airport at 5 am to catch the flight.

#42 9 years ago

There is a small chance if you land at O'Hare and everything goes well... there is no chance if you are coming from Midway.

Tickets are picked up at Expo, but the booth will be open that early that day. Tight timeline for sure!

Andrew

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

Tickets are picked up at Expo, but the booth will be open that early that day. Tight timeline for sure!

Mike says above that tickets can be sold at the door. That was taken to mean that they could be bought at the door of the Stern factory.

Is this correct?

Pete

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Mike says above that tickets can be sold at the door. That was taken to mean that they could be bought at the door of the Stern factory.
    Is this correct?
    Pete

Nope. He meant at the hotel door/registration desk. As Andrew said just after:

Mike was talking about at the show. The registration desk is open until 10pm on Wednesday, and opens at 8am on Thursday.

#45 9 years ago

Gotcha...thanks for the clarification.

#46 9 years ago

Better burn rubber Pete.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Better burn rubber Pete.

Lol....I think I'll be okay. Should be in town tomorrow around 8pm...

#48 9 years ago

There is a small chance if you land at O'Hare and everything goes well... there is no chance if you are coming from Midway.
    Andrew

We are landing at O'Hare. My friend is a professional traveler and ex-USAir employee, and lived in Chicago for 15 yrs. He knows all the "tricks" and thinks we can make it, as long as there isn't some kind of accident or abhorrent traffic on the way.

My question now is this - say we get to the hotel at 9:05. If we get tickets at the front desk, can we jump back in the rental car and meet the bus AT the factory? That's really the bigger issue.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

We are landing at O'Hare. My friend is a professional traveler and ex-USAir employee, and lived in Chicago for 15 yrs. He knows all the "tricks" and thinks we can make it, as long as there isn't some kind of accident or abhorrent traffic on the way.
    My question now is this - say we get to the hotel at 9:05. If we get tickets at the front desk, can we jump back in the rental car and meet the bus AT the factory? That's really the bigger issue.

Yeah, as long as you have a ticket in hand, driving yourself over there is fine.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, as long as you have a ticket in hand, driving yourself over there is fine.

Perfect, that's what I needed to know!!

Thanks, and we're looking forward to meeting some Pinsiders tomorrow!

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expo-question-stern-tour and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.