(Topic ID: 141964)

Expo. Pinball "tech" who was going around trying to get games working.

By CraigC

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.png
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Anyone see the over zealous guy going around trying to get games that were off working? I had a non working CCM rifle game there where the plug was knotted, tied together and stuffed under the closed gun deck. I came down Sunday morning and the game was turned on, plugged in with the GI running. The jones plugs were just hanging down not connected (as it was a project game).

I also saw Saturday that my Outer Space was plugged in and the frozen flipper bat (stuck due to a locked on coil) was in a different location, meaning that someone had attempted to get it running.

I caught this guy trying to get the coctail project running as well as the Gorgar that was turned off with board issues.

If you are unaware of the condition of the game and do not own the game, please do not go around plugging in games. This is asking for a fire or damage done to a game.

I appreciate the enthusiasm but it's one thing to do this on a game with a visual stuck ball, and entirely different when a game has been unplugged or disabled.

-c

#2 8 years ago

agreed. as both a patron and a volunteer, when I found an issue with a game, I turned it off and let angela know about it.

at no time was I going to start messing with other peoples' machines since it was never stated that we were there for tech support services

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

I had a non working CCM rifle game there where the plug was knotted, tied together and stuffed under the closed gun deck.

Was this the one in the freeplay area?

I agree that nobody should be going around trying to fix games that don't belong to them unless they are asked to do so by the owner.

#4 8 years ago

He was not affiliated as a volunteer.

-c

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from u2sean:

Was this the one in the freeplay area?
    I agree that nobody should be going around trying to fix games that don't belong to them unless they are asked to do so by the owner.

Yes. CCM Safari. Just because something exists in the free play area doesn't mean that anyone can open it up and start working on it.

-c

#6 8 years ago

Maybe it was the 'tech' that picked up the Joust and dropped it when it wasn't working?

#7 8 years ago

I find this almost hard to believe but given the behavior of a few other ppl talked about at Expo, nothing surprises me.

What a goofball. Maybe next year i'll volunteer do to a neighborhood watch over these games. Or rotate nights with someone else if anyone is up for it. Least I can do if I don't end up bringing a game.

#8 8 years ago

The Joust is mine so the "tech" that you are talking about for it was me...and it was having an issue with the ball getting hung up in the trough. So in order to unjam the ball so folks could play it needed to be wiggled or shaken to get the balls to the shooter lane. I had adjusted the kicker and switch and it was still hanging sometimes. Plus folks don't know to hit 2 player start even though I put a flashing color changing LED In it to draw attention to it. Also once the start button is hit you hit the flippers to start the game...
    No I did not see the tech you are talking about

Phoebe

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

needed to be wiggled or shaken to get the balls to the shooter lane. I had adjusted the kicker and switch and it was still hanging sometimes. Plus folks don't know to hit 2 player start even though I put a flashing color changing LED In it to draw attention to it. Also once the start button is hit you hit the flippers to start the game...
    Phoebe

Phoebe, It definitely was not you. BTW Thanks for bringing the Joust again!, My 5 yr old son's highlights:

"The game with blue balls" (joust)
    "The one with the bananas" (disco fever)
    "The soccer game" (alvin G)

honorable mention Safecracker, hercules, and those video pinball games.

-c

#10 8 years ago

The Joust is mine so the "tech" that you are talking about for it was me...and it was having an issue with the ball getting hung up in the trough. So in order to unjam the ball so folks could play it needed to be wiggled or shaken to get the balls to the shooter lane. I had adjusted the kicker and switch and it was still hanging sometimes. Plus folks don't know to hit 2 player start even though I put a flashing color changing LED In it to draw attention to it. Also once the start button is hit you hit the flippers to start the game...
    Phoebe

What was the deal with the blue balls? They seemed extra bouncy.

#11 8 years ago

The Joust is mine so the "tech" that you are talking about for it was me...
    Phoebe

I think it was that "larry" guy. he was definitely one shifty looking character

(I did pick it up a few times for others to get the balls in the trough re-situated and launch, but owning one myself there's no way I would have dropped phoebe's machine and I probably would have slapped anyone something silly if I did see them do something stupid like that

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

What was the deal with the blue balls? They seemed extra bouncy.

you'd probably be a bit more jumpy if you had "blue" balls too

I think it played faster with the glo-balls (they're a bit lighter than the standard steel pinballs, so it changed the physics of the game a bit and made me re-think my strategies when playing it

#13 8 years ago

Phoebe

If it was you, that's cool it's your game, and it looked very nice. Even I saw the 2 player sign and I'm not always that observant. Although this wasn't a jiggle, it was a pick up one end and drop it. Just assumed it was someone trying to play a game and then thinking, hey if I pick it up and drop it maybe something will jiggle loose.

#14 8 years ago

If it's your game or a friend's game that you know how to get back in service, that's different. You would think an un-plugged game would be message enough to not touch it.

-c

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

If it's your game or a friend's game that you know how to get back in service, that's different. You would think an un-plugged game would be message enough to not touch it.
    -c

Maybe someone took their game down, loaded it onto a trailer, drove it to Chicago, unloaded it into the game room, set it up, leveled it, then just forgot to plug in their perfectly working game for people to play. That's totally the reason pinball machines are usually turned off

#16 8 years ago

I wouldn't touch someones game but they should of had signs to put on games (Out of Order).

Was there a specific form you had to sign when bringing a game into the free-play area? i.e. I allow the shows tech to work on my game but i assume liability?

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

I wouldn't touch someones game but they should of had signs to put on games (Out of Order).

Most people that own games know to just shut it off (whether it's my game or someone else's) if there are issues. That's about the best Out of Order sign there is. Although it would be nice to leave a note describing the issue (stuck ball, stuck coil, resets, fire shooting out the backbox, etc.) I would never buy into having a tech work on one of my games. Maybe to loosen a stuck ball, but that's it.

Quoted from ZenTron:

Was there a specific form you had to sign when bringing a game into the free-play area? i.e. I allow the shows tech to work on my game but i assume liability?

No. And I wouldn't sign it anyways.

#18 8 years ago

Im curious about something though, I saw your machine there, and i actually have bought many rifle games. But i dont understand why you bring a non-working game as you stated, and put it in a show. Now myself, I brought a project game, clearly wrote on it that it was a project and put a price on it and sold it. But you had a sign marked "Not for Sale" so what was the purpose?

#19 8 years ago

The new owner put the not for sale sign on there after he bought it from me. I brought it to get it out of my garage and into the hands of someone who wanted to restore it and not part it out. where would you have liked for me to put it? i didn't think i was offending the floor space and i brought 3 other working games.

do i have approval now?

-c

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Maybe someone took their game down, loaded it onto a trailer, drove it to Chicago, unloaded it into the game room, set it up, leveled it, then just forgot to plug in their perfectly working game for people to play. That's totally the reason pinball machines are usually turned off

If a game is un-plugged then you don't touch it. i guess i should have pulled the line fuse.

-c

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Most people that own games know to just shut it off (whether it's my game or someone else's) if there are issues. That's about the best Out of Order sign there is. Although it would be nice to leave a note describing the issue (stuck ball, stuck coil, resets, fire shooting out the backbox, etc.) I would never buy into having a tech work on one of my games. Maybe to loosen a stuck ball, but that's it.

No. And I wouldn't sign it anyways.

100% agree. There's a number on all of my games. if there's an issue turn the game off. If you're feeling nice, then call or text me what the issue is. I got a call for a stuck ball a few times (darn you meteor trough) which i totally appreciated.

However i did watch someone playing a SBM with a loose ball guide just scraping away after the game was off earlier. I was able to get the key and fix it.

-c

#22 8 years ago

St. Nick going around fixing games. lol . My apartment is full of them. he can go there and fix them.

#23 8 years ago

Maybe get some of these to bring to shows too to make sure random people don't try to fix it. Change tomorrow to "soon"

image.pngimage.png

#24 8 years ago

You put non-working games in "Free Play"???
    How were people supposed to play them?
    Should they have been in a flee market area if expo has one?
    Normally the "tech" should call the number on the card to discuss you / him fixing it or getting it off the floor. Never work on someone's game without permission. It is reasonable that they plug in the cord, see it is broken and unplug it.
    Free play at the 3 other shows I have been to is not the place to leave broken junk that is not playable.
    Sorry I will get back to work now. I hope no damage was caused by the tech.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

Sometimes the working games turn into non-working games.

#26 8 years ago

There is no flea market at expo. I brought and set up 5 games (one was not mine) and one game did not work and was sold as a project. Sue me?

Silly to talk about things like "what if expo had a project gun game room with swirls painted on the ceiling?" It doesn't. The game displaced nothing.

Next year we (expo volunteers (yes I also helped load in everyone's stuff)) will have to be on the lookout for people screwing with machines. That is all.

-c

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

Normally the "tech" should call the number on the card to discuss you / him fixing it or getting it off the floor. Never work on someone's game without permission. It is reasonable that they plug in the cord, see it is broken and unplug it.
    Free play at the 3 other shows I have been to is not the place to leave broken junk that is not playable.
    Sorry I will get back to work now. I hope no damage was caused by the tech.

He bought other working games and one non working game to sell as he already mentioned multiple times? What's the issue?

Do they have staff around watching that no one tampers with anything?

#28 8 years ago

It wasn't an issue this year because of the lack of games at the show but in all fairness, once the game goes down for good or is inoperable it should be removed from the free play area or at least push it away from the working machines off into a corner or something. Non-working projects have no business being in the free-play area.

That's one of the reasons I didn't bring any games to the Expo this year (and I live 8 miles away from the show). Last year there were numerous machines not plugged-in or out of commission while my games sat out in the hallway for most of the show. I finally squeezed one into the overflow room last year but ended-up taking the other one back home. Neither were there simply to flip or sell. I brought them for people to play and paid full price to attend too.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

The new owner put the not for sale sign on there after he bought it from me. I brought it to get it out of my garage and into the hands of someone who wanted to restore it and not part it out. where would you have liked for me to put it? i didn't think i was offending the floor space and i brought 3 other working games.
    do i have approval now?
    -c

I was just asking a question and you answered it even with your snide remarks. Would have been much clearer to have "sold" written on it instead of not for sale.

#30 8 years ago

I saw it there. It should have never been placed in line with the working machines. Just because you brought three other working machines to sell and get in to the Expo for free doesn't make it right.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before. I've seen some go down during the show and left in place but never a non-functional "project" placed alongside working ones the free-play area as-if it was operational. Not very courteous to those who brought machines for others to play and those that were not for sale.

#31 8 years ago

I agree with you,but I also want to thank the real volunteers for doing all that they do,to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.

I also want to thank Pie, cause it is delicious

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

I was just asking a question and you answered it even with your snide remarks. Would have been much clearer to have "sold" written on it instead of not for sale.

You are right, I missed the part of your post where you said you said you brought a project game also (still tired from expo). I was probably overly defensive, since I was getting grief. I apologise.

At that point it was no longer my game and my post-it was removed that said "project" and had my name and number.

Was your game the cocktail? That dude was all in that game trying to get it to work.

Next year We should make up some out of order pages for when games are down. Maybe even laminated where the owner can write down any parts or help needed in dry erase. I.e. Brought em but need a contact file. Or looking for system 80 expert to debug a problem.

-c

#33 8 years ago

I had my Fast Draw go down on Friday right after the tournament. I spent 2 hours getting it going. There is nobody that hates a non-working game more than me. Even a burned out or flickering bulb will warrant the game be opened up.

I was sent a text once for an issue that got me over to my game promptly. I appreciated that.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I saw it there. It should have never been placed in line with the working machines. Just because you brought three other working machines to sell and get in to the Expo for free doesn't make it right.
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before. I've seen some go down during the show and left in place but never a non-functional "project" placed alongside working ones the free-play area as-if it was operational. Not very courteous to those who brought machines for others to play and those that were not for sale.

1) When I brought that game in there was nothing in that row 2) I brought 4 other working games not 3 (get your facts straight).

So I brought in and set up 4 games along with volunteering most of Wednesday moving everyones games in and helping break a few down to get in for free? Damn effin straight.

What have you done? Let's put you under the microscope.

"Hey this year's expo free play room was lame...let's attack someone who brought a bunch of games....That will get games there next year"

Amazing.

-c

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Peppers:

I agree with you,but I also want to thank the real volunteers for doing all that they do,to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.
    I also want to thank Pie, cause it is delicious

Dude! pie is the absolute best. So much better than cake.

-c

#36 8 years ago

I like pie to, i hate cake

Plus, i brought 5 games to expo, I had a hard time knowing which of my games got me in the freeplay room each time i walked in

#37 8 years ago

-c Next year We should make up some out of order pages for when games are down. Maybe even laminated where the owner can write down any parts or help needed in dry erase. I.e. Brought em but need a contact file. Or looking for system 80 expert to debug a problem.
    -c

Sorry I understand that games go down and some out of order signs would be cool, but I really don't think it is a good plan to bring a bunch of games with issues, put signs on them and expect them to get fixed there. Yes if you have a game go down and need a part maybe that would work...but to encourage none working games be brought to be fixed there is just asking to have a free play room full of project games that need fixed and aren't working...
    For instance My Congo had a flipper bracket break in half, and I had to search for one (note to self add those to the list of spare parts in the in case it breaks box) and wasn't having much luck, I texted a friend that also had games there and also parts in his van, and he was able to hook me up with a new one so we could get it up and running again (even if it was the "worst" playing Congo one attendee had ever played...) I still wanted to get it back up because I don't want to take up space in the free play room with a game that won't be up and running for the rest of the show. It is embarrassing to me to have a game there not working, that to me is not the purpose of the free play room.

Phoebe

#38 8 years ago

I really wanted to play your safari. I debated fixing it but let it be as I don't know you and it's not mine

I was just disappointed that it sat on the floor off all weekend. The buyer should have put it on the wall or something

-Jeff

#39 8 years ago

... It is embarrassing to me to ... Phoebe

You can be embarrassed?

- Taxman (Shrekman)

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

I really wanted to play your safari. I debated fixing it but let it be as I don't know you and it's not mine
    I was just disappointed that it sat on the floor off all weekend. The buyer should have put it on the wall or something
    -Jeff

Yah. In hind sight you are probably right. I was just tired and there was nothing there at the time. I was instructed that they didn't want any games along the wall, so that's where it went.

#41 8 years ago

-c Next year We should make up some out of order pages for when games are down. Maybe even laminated where the owner can write down any parts or help needed in dry erase. I.e. Brought em but need a contact file. Or looking for system 80 expert to debug a problem.
    -c
    Sorry I understand that games go down and some out of order signs would be cool, but I really don't think it is a good plan to bring a bunch of games with issues, put signs on them and expect them to get fixed there. Yes if you have a game go down and need a part maybe that would work...but to encourage none working games be brought to be fixed there is just asking to have a free play room full of project games that need fixed and aren't working...
    For instance My Congo had a flipper bracket break in half, and I had to search for one (note to self add those to the list of spare parts in the in case it breaks box) and wasn't having much luck, I texted a friend that also had games there and also parts in his van, and he was able to hook me up with a new one so we could get it up and running again (even if it was the "worst" playing Congo one attendee had ever played...) I still wanted to get it back up because I don't want to take up space in the free play room with a game that won't be up and running for the rest of the show. It is embarrassing to me to have a game there not working, that to me is not the purpose of the free play room.
    Phoebe

I don't think that's what I'm saying. But I agree with your concern. My games worked all weekend..aside for a burnt coil on outer space I had to fix, but had it back the next day.

-c

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

I like pie to, i hate cake
    Plus, i brought 5 games to expo, I had a hard time knowing which of my games got me in the freeplay room each time i walked in

We should start talking about pie instead of how much I screwed up expo .

#43 8 years ago

I powered games up Thursday (after the hall re-opened), checked them with a few test balls, texted issues & re-downed machines that had fatal issues. But if it didn't power up for any reason (fuse, plug, whatever) I left it the hell alone. I always pull the main fuse if a game I bring NEEDS to stay dead, just in case. Though I wouldn't expect anyone to plug in a machine.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

I powered games up Thursday (after the hall re-opened), checked them with a few test balls, texted issues & re-downed machines that had fatal issues. But if it didn't power up for any reason (fuse, plug, whatever) I left it the hell alone. I always pull the main fuse if a game I bring NEEDS to stay dead, just in case. Though I wouldn't expect anyone to plug in a machine.

I agree. This should be the proper way to approach dead games. I will now pull the line fuse on games to prevent risk going forward.

Still, people should not try and get into games that are not theirs. That's all that I am saying.

-c

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

If a game is un-plugged then you don't touch it. i guess i should have pulled the line fuse.
    -c

At shows - I move the power switch inside the cabinet therefore nobody can touch it when it is turned off.

#46 8 years ago

With that many games, 1 tech should have worked.

#47 8 years ago

You're right Craig, if it's not yours, stay the fuck out of it and if you don't bring games, shut the fuck up

#48 8 years ago

Thanks to Korn's cool cart pinball setter upper that made it a lot easier for the 2 games I brought. I will have my friend upgrade his cart to that style as well. A big thanks to the staff for all the help.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

It wasn't an issue this year because of the lack of games at the show but in all fairness, once the game goes down for good or is inoperable it should be removed from the free play area or at least push it away from the working machines off into a corner or something. Non-working projects have no business being in the free-play area.
    That's one of the reasons I didn't bring any games to the Expo this year (and I live 8 miles away from the show). Last year there were numerous machines not plugged-in or out of commission while my games sat out in the hallway for most of the show. I finally squeezed one into the overflow room last year but ended-up taking the other one back home. Neither were there simply to flip or sell. I brought them for people to play and paid full price to attend too.

So next year, don't pay. Bring games and get in for free. It's really easy despite your math skills .

You seem to be all bitter that I had some games for sale. Since you are all interested in what I'm doing, I will spin you the fantastic tale of my basement and how I am out of room....are you ready?....ok.

I just put a price on everything I brought so I can make room. I didn't really care what sold.

Whoa..

I sold safari for 50 bucks so it would go to someone who wouldn't part it out. I gave him a free berry polisher too. OMG I'm such a flipper!

I sold outer space for 525 to some nice Canadians. I put about 100 bucks and a lot of time into the game but I got it for free not working, so maybe I'm a total scoundrel here.

I took meteor and totem home. Both were rock stars. Totem has been a trooper for 2 expos, patz and mgc.

So reasons to hate me:

Pie > cake
    I brought a project game and put it where instructed.
    I made about 500 bucks flipping games.

I throw myself on the mercy of the pinside high counsel.

-c

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

I throw myself on the mercy of the pinside high counsel.

We sentence you to read the entire Jpop thread, from beginning to end!

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expo-pinball-tech-who-was-going-around-trying-to-get-games-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.