Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by toyotaboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151017_112358-1.jpg
    20151017_121650.jpg
    20151017_114050.jpg
    20151017_130700.jpg
    20151017_112015.jpg
    20151014_105851.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Oct-Nov-Dec_2015_002.jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Seems like there are way less games than last year. Kind of disappointing.

#2 8 years ago

One collector who brought 45 em games last year wasn't able to bring them this year.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah, the free play area is pretty underwelming this year.

#4 8 years ago

At 11:15 pm Central time Thursday, October 15, 2015:

The free play room had 78 pins with 7 turned off.

The vendor hall has 80 pins with 4 off.

I am not counting the Flip Out tournament games.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

At 11:15 pm Central time:
    The free play room had 78 pins with 7 turned off.
    The vendor hall has 80 pins with 4 off.
    I am not counting the Flip Out tournament games.

ouch

#7 8 years ago

guess tomorrow will be checking out all the custom projects, maybe play a few in the freeplay area, and that'll do it for me unless I bump into friends.

#8 8 years ago

Absolutely terrible pin selection for free play. I was quite honestly bored after an hour. It was not uncommon that pins had issues (underpowered flippers being common) or some jackass didn't have an ounce of pin etiquette and either was playing multiple games by themselves or leaving games unfinished (I'm taking about you, late 50's dude with glasses and conductor's hat - take your ADHD meds before attending).

Hygiene was spotty again, so thank you for the Purell dispensers everywhere! And what was with the dude in basketball shorts, tank top and flip flops? It's October in Chicago at a decent hotel, not a Sunday in July waking up from a bender at your house. Attire for about 25% of the attendees is so bad that I understand why the hotel staff isn't fond of the event.

Honestly, this will be my last year to attend Expo. The vendor deals aren't enough to bring you in and the set ups from the vendors and manufacturers are like Groundhog Day....same thing, different year. There are clearly the hardcore pin guys who enjoy this and get to network and see old friends, but for the casual participant this is underwhelming. Nothing really new...1 damned Hobbit in the main hall?!?...except for GOT, which played fast and had a lot of modes. Things like Lexy Lightspeed are oddities right now, not production machines (BTW - 3 buttons on each side to control game is confusing as hell).

For the combination of pin play and good product deals just go to Pinball Life's event on Friday. If you want to find used parts, etc. there are far better options. Selection was far less than last year. And some vendors (GLM) weren't even there on Thursday. Please don't run an event with a vendor hall that Doesn't even have all the listed vendors there yet. I planned on a couple of purchases that I couldn't make because the vendor didn't set up on Thursday.

If you think I'm overly harsh, I waited until this morning to post so I could reflect on the experience and not post immediately after my disappointing experience.

#9 8 years ago

Maybe people aren't bringing their games until today, after they get done with work? Just a guess.

We should probably wait to pass judgment on the event until after it's over, no?

#10 8 years ago

I've got 2 Pins loaded and am waiting to pick the kid up from school. At least I'm doing my part, and am going to have a blast. Be there about 6pm!

Oct-Nov-Dec_2015_002.jpgOct-Nov-Dec_2015_002.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Any bingo machine make it to the free play area?

#12 8 years ago

Be sure to check my games out in the free play room!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Please don't run an event with a vendor hall that Doesn't even have all the listed vendors there yet. I planned on a couple of purchases that I couldn't make because the vendor didn't set up on Thursday.

A lot of vendors do pinball as a side job and can't take 3 days off work to travel and set up on Thursday.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Be sure to check my games out in the free play room!

image.jpg

Don't do it!!!!!

You'll NOT be able to look at your one-color dmd games again without remorse!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from tullster:

I've got 2 Pins loaded and am waiting to pick the kid up from school. At least I'm doing my part, and am going to have a blast. Be there about 6pm!

Good luck squeezing the kid in there!

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Any bingo machine make it to the free play area?

As of 30 minutes ago, no. No Bingo's in the Free Play room.

There is a bingo (head only) for sale in the vendor area.

#17 8 years ago

Bitch, bitch, bitch!

It's pretty common knowledge that the best way to ensure a show has beacu games on the floor is to bring one yourself.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Absolutely terrible pin selection for free play. I was quite honestly bored after an hour. It was not uncommon that pins had issues (underpowered flippers being common) or some jackass didn't have an ounce of pin etiquette and either was playing multiple games by themselves or leaving games unfinished (I'm taking about you, late 50's dude with glasses and conductor's hat - take your ADHD meds before attending).
    Hygiene was spotty again, so thank you for the Purell dispensers everywhere! And what was with the dude in basketball shorts, tank top and flip flops? It's October in Chicago at a decent hotel, not a Sunday in July waking up from a bender at your house. Attire for about 25% of the attendees is so bad that I understand why the hotel staff isn't fond of the event.
    Honestly, this will be my last year to attend Expo. The vendor deals aren't enough to bring you in and the set ups from the vendors and manufacturers are like Groundhog Day....same thing, different year. There are clearly the hardcore pin guys who enjoy this and get to network and see old friends, but for the casual participant this is underwhelming. Nothing really new...1 damned Hobbit in the main hall?!?...except for GOT, which played fast and had a lot of modes. Things like Lexy Lightspeed are oddities right now, not production machines (BTW - 3 buttons on each side to control game is confusing as hell).
    For the combination of pin play and good product deals just go to Pinball Life's event on Friday. If you want to find used parts, etc. there are far better options. Selection was far less than last year. And some vendors (GLM) weren't even there on Thursday. Please don't run an event with a vendor hall that Doesn't even have all the listed vendors there yet. I planned on a couple of purchases that I couldn't make because the vendor didn't set up on Thursday.
    If you think I'm overly harsh, I waited until this morning to post so I could reflect on the experience and not post immediately after my disappointing experience.

I'll only say that Great Lakes Modular was set up and selling stuff in the Vendor Area on Thursday around 9:00 PM

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Seems like there are way less games than last year. Kind of disappointing.

You should try the TPF in March if you want to play some pinball!

#20 8 years ago

Exactly, just curious if those that are bitching brought anything if they are close enough. I brought 5 games, so its not appreciated hearing some Jack ass saying the game selection sucks if he didn't bring one.

#21 8 years ago

The quality of games is great. It's the quantity that's the issue. Add to that; games are already being taken off the floor. I guess last year was a high water mark.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

And what was with the dude in basketball shorts, tank top and flip flops? It's October in Chicago at a decent hotel, not a Sunday in July waking up from a bender at your house.

If you think I'm overly harsh, I waited until this morning to post so I could reflect on the experience and not post immediately after my disappointing..

Criticizing someone for wearing shorts on a beautiful, sunny 60 degree day is very much being overly harsh, bordering on petulant. I was quite comfortable... weather was downright balmy compared to past Expos.

It sounds like this isn't the show for you, so unless you want to contribute by bringing a game next year, I'd suggest staying home. We won't miss you or your complaints.

Expo is becoming more and more a giant party for everyone involved with the industry, and the place to make major announcements. It is not just a big arcade like other shows. Thursday is setup day and has historicly been light on vendors. Please have proper expectations before coming. Thanks.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Expo is becoming more and more a giant party for everyone involved with the industry, and the place to make major announcements. It is not just a big arcade like other shows.

Isn't that sort of what it's always been known for though? I mean, always more the side of classes and seeing people speak then just hitting up a play room. At least, that's been my opinion for some time.

#24 8 years ago

It's just kind of a lull Expo announcement year for the hobby in general.

Next year will be huge with JJP #3, Stern's answer to JJP #3, Alien, maybe Timeshock, maybe Kill Bill, maybe another remake, who knows! But it seemed like this year was almost a copy/paste of the Expo from a year ago.

Was there a JPop dunking booth this year at least?

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A lot of vendors do pinball as a side job and can't take 3 days off work to travel and set up on Thursday.

That's not my issue, Vid. Expo shouldn't have a vendor hall on Thursdays then. They advertise who the vendors will be, not "this is who we think might be here if they get time off of work and their wife isn't giving them a rash of shit".

These are organizational issues for Expo. They are trying to stretch a Fri-Sun show to Thur-Sun. It's the attendees who get burned.

#27 8 years ago

Sorry but I flew in from VA and paid . I expect enough incentive draws for a huge show to create games on the floor.
    The room is just over half full vs last year. Then it was full plus the overfill .
    There is the back corner with one guys really nice games and the front corner and that's it's .
    For this price they need to figure out how to bring in local pinheads games.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Exactly, just curious if those that are bitching brought anything if they are close enough. I brought 5 games, so its not appreciated hearing some Jack ass saying the game selection sucks if he didn't bring one.

Seriously, call me a jackass? I am a dude who PAID HIS FEE to get into the event and also spent a little over $1000 with the vendors. The fact that I spend money with the vendors justifies their reason to come to Expo and the fees they pay to be there. Just because I didn't bring a game, that makes me inferior to you?!? Your damned handle is vidgameseller and you brought games to SELL. You didn't bring anything out of the kindness of your heart. Your brought stuff to pad your wallet. And it wouldn't be shocking if any of your games were ones that left the hall early because they had been sold. The forum is littered with posts from you on "what games to bring to Expo to sell". Please, go take you sanctimoniousness somewhere else, poser.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Criticizing someone for wearing shorts on a beautiful, sunny 60 degree day is very much being overly harsh, bordering on petulant. .

Meh... dress code doesnt bother me.... Hell, I love attending gun shows and THAT is a damn wild slice of humanity right there...

However, folks coming to an event (with hundreds of people) that lack basic hygiene does bother me....

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

It's just kind of a lull Expo announcement year for the hobby in general.
    Next year will be huge with JJP #3, Stern's answer to JJP #3, Alien, maybe Timeshock, maybe Kill Bill, maybe another remake, who knows! But it seemed like this year was almost a copy/paste of the Expo from a year ago.
    Was there a JPop dunking booth this year at least?

A lot of shows in between this year and next years expo to announce games.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Just because I didn't bring a game, that makes me inferior to you?!? Your damned handle is vidgameseller and you brought games to SELL. You didn't bring anything out of the kindness of your heart.

What about all the people who did bring games out of the kindness of their hearts? Can we call you a jackass?

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

What about all the people who did bring games out of the kindness of their hearts? Can we call you a jackass?

Yes. You may lord that over me.

#33 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Just easin' the tension, baby...

#34 8 years ago

VFW in Ann Arbor is the real show to play....and alot less $$$$

#35 8 years ago

I have never seen a more wretched hive of scum & villainy.

#36 8 years ago

If you want to play, the best of the best is the VFW and Pinburgh (Now ReplayFX).

If you want to buy, there's Allentown and White Rose.

If you want the latest and greatest from the industry, there's Expo. Also a much better new parts supply than any of the above.

If you want to buy a pinball art print, I'm across from the Stern booth at the back!

#37 8 years ago

Pinball shows are typically underwhelming.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

That's not my issue, Vid. Expo shouldn't have a vendor hall on Thursdays then.

I would love the vendors to be available for me any day they can.

If I could only attend on Thursday, it would be great if somebody besides Marco was available.

If vendors want to stay through Sunday afternoon, that would be great too.

Quoted from robotron911:

They advertise who the vendors will be, not "this is who we think might be here if they get time off of work and their wife isn't giving them a rash of shit".

Sometimes vendors who plan on attending don't make it at all.

We all remember the lonely Wico sign, with nothing under it.....

#39 8 years ago

It was pathetic. So much potential, but the hours and entire vibe this year was a let down. Those running the tournaments of course went above and beyond the call of duty.

This show could be so much better. I"ll just leave it at that.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Pinball shows are typically underwhelming.

Funny I've been to about 7 Allentowns and a couple of the old school Wayne shows and I've never been underwhelmed.

People get out of these things what they want to. Some people just like to not have a good time.

#41 8 years ago

I told my neighbor who goes the free play area I rated a 4, last year a 10. Yes it was totally awesome last year tough to beat, games overflowed to another room. I thought the exhibit area was well worth the price of admission. That being said last year I went 3 days this year probably only one, last night.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

I told my neighbor who goes the free play area I rated a 4, last year a 10. Yes it was totally awesome last year tough to beat, games overflowed to another room. I thought the exhibit area was well worth the price of admission. That being said last year I went 3 days this year probably only one, last night.

Yeah last year there were so many games they couldn't fit them all in. I brought two and one sat out in the hallway all night until I finally loaded it back up in my van. I squeezed the other one in the overflow room. Even after all that they made me pay $25. That's why I didn't bring any games this year and I live 8 miles away from the Westin.

If I would have known it was going to be so empty I probably would have brought a couple.

The vendor area wasn't that bad. Not as big as last year though.

One thing I really liked was the opportunity to play "The Big Lebowski" and the new "Kiss" as well as a few other games. I sold enough parts to cover my entrance fee and even got a T-shirt this year. Usually they are all out of the adult sizes by Friday.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Even after all that they made me pay $25. That's why I didn't bring any games this year and I live 8 miles away from the Westin.

That's why the hall was half empty compared to last year. Sounds like Mike was up to his old tricks. People aren't going to support the show if they are getting screwed. I heard a lot of this from people this year.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Funny I've been to about 7 Allentowns and a couple of the old school Wayne shows and I've never been underwhelmed.
    People get out of these things what they want to. Some people just like to not have a good time.

I didnt say you can't enjoy yourself. It's just that people do need to temper their expectations when it comes to the amount and quality of pins in the freeplay area.

#45 8 years ago

So I get that the gameroom is not so full,but the Expo has always been the "industry" show. So how about new prototype machines, new product announcements, and other exciting industry news? I have been to shows all over the country including Expo, I personally think SFGE is the most fun all around show.

#46 8 years ago

Steve Ritchie just demonstrated the first GOT LE a few hours ago at the Stern launch party... yesterday Heighway had their launch party at the Twin Peaks next door. Last year was the big TBL announcements... year before that was MMR. That is why you come to Expo.

#47 8 years ago

So what else is left to complain about? The toilet seats are too cold?

#48 8 years ago

Game count at Expo at 11:15 pm Central Daylight time October 16, 2015:

Free Play room: 88 games with 12 off.
    Vendor room: 91 games with 13 off.
    Hercules & ICE Flintstones: 2, both working. (I neglected to report/include these games yesterday.
    Stern launch party room: 11 games with 2 off.
    Tournament area: 15 games with 0 off.

#49 8 years ago

I'd like to add that I'm having a great time here.

#50 8 years ago

Just got back home after hitting up Expo for the night. Have to agree that the free play area was a major disappointment. Room wasn't even remotely close to being full. I played exactly one game in that room before moving on to the vendor hall. Not good.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.