(Topic ID: 140704)

Expo 2015. Where is a great place to stay?

By Zampinator

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by weaselfest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pin_hotels.png

#1 4 years ago

I decided kind of last minute to go to Expo with the wifey. I would like to stay fairly close to Expo with great accommodations. What does the pinsider community recommend?

#2 4 years ago

http://pinballexpo.com/ Expo site lists the Holiday Inn Express. Might be worth checking out, besides what others suggest.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

There's a Hyatt nearby.

IMHO, you have to go downtown to get to the 'great' threshold... But doing so puts you about an hour from Expo in favorable traffic. Is it worth it?

#4 4 years ago

As someone already said...downtown Chicago is a long way. Expo is held in a very nice suburban region of Chicago. The immediate area plays host to several Corporate HQ's like Abbott Labs, Baxter Healthcare, Walgreens, Takeda, Kraft Foods. Allstate, ITW, CDW, Fortune Brands, etc. As you can imagine there are a bounty of higher quality hotels catering to this market.

If you head east from Expo, and not very far, you run into some of the wealthiest 'burbs in the country like Winnetka and Kenilworth.

Some ideas for nicer hotels from a local...Going south is a Hilton and a Crowne Plaza on Milwaukee Ave in Northbrook. There's Hyatt, Marriott Courtyard or Embassy Suites on Lake-Cook Road in Deerfield. Also in Deerfield near I-294 and Deerfield Road there's a nice Marriott Suites. Going north to Lincolnshire there a nice Hampton Inn on Milwaukee Ave, another Marriott Courtyard also on Milwaukee and of course the Lincolnshire Marriott Resort (old time place with a theater and spa). Going west to Buffalo Grove there's a Wyndham on Lake-Cook Rd. There are also many budget friendly places within 2 miles also...usual chains like BW and Motel 6.

If you're bringing the main squeeze you may like the Sybaris......

#5 4 years ago

I booked a room at the Olde Court Inn on Friday. It's 1/4 mile down the road, and a fraction of the price of the Westin. I don't mind cheap hotels, though, so it may be below your standards.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I booked a room at the Olde Court Inn on Friday. It's 1/4 mile down the road, and a fraction of the price of the Westin. I don't mind cheap hotels, though, so it may be below your standards.

Isn't that where PMwolf stayed last year?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I will sleep anywhere, the wife..... Not so much.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zampinator:

Isn't that where PMwolf stayed last year?

Indeed it was, and he still has the nightmares to prove it!!!

#9 4 years ago

Reserve at the HI Express but keep checking the Westin for cancellations. I cancelled my room there last year when business took me to Orlando. This year, while I plan to go and have paid for my Expo registration, I still might have to cancel if an emergency occurs. This could happen to others and a room at the Westin could become available. It is a nice, full-service Hotel that is just under 10 years old and has had one refurbishment already.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Indeed it was, and he still has the nightmares to prove it!!!

Oh god... do tell.

#11 4 years ago

I'm a Marriott man...

And the above post mentioning the Courtyards and Marriott Suites and Lincolnshire Resort is on the money...they are all nice properties.

There are actually two Courtyards on Lake-Cook Road, a few miles apart...the closer one already mentioned is in Deerfield, the other one is in Highland Park. Both were built in the 80's and are first or second generation properties, meaning, they actually have a nice, landscaped courtyard in the middle, unlike newer Courtyards which don't have a courtyard...lame. Both have been renovated several times over the years. Source: I worked at most of the Courtyards in the North Shore and several of the Residence Inns.

There is also a Wyndham Garden on Lake-Cook a few miles in the opposite direction in Buffalo Grove... price point is way better, but this place seems kind of mediocre, from what I have read. If all you want is a clean place to sleep that's not a dive or budget hotel, it should be fine. It's about a 5 minute drive from the Westin, in light traffic.

-Mark

#12 4 years ago

If you want to stay at the Westin, you could try calling the hotel direct (not Westin central reservations) on 847 777 6515 and asking for Grant.

Last year I was also told they were sold out, and it was sold out online, but when I got Grant on the phone, he said that he had several cancellations that hadn't gone on release yet and gave me a room AND gave me the special Expo rate.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I have pretty low standards and it surpassed them, on the low side. But seriously, it was just old (and horribly decorated). It was fine for the 6 total hours I actually ended up staying there. My room seemed clean enough. They have free wifi but the signal was so low I couldn't log on.

#14 4 years ago

Keep in mind the Expo rate at the Westin is for a minimum of 2 days.

#15 4 years ago

What was the Expo nightly rate this year?

Jaz

#16 4 years ago

Expo rate for this year is $121 a night, add in %12 taxes, for a total of $135.52, also includes wifi which they do charge extra for, but included with Expo rate. While you can save a few bucks, it's very nice to be able to crash in your room with a short elevator ride.

Damon

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

I'm a Marriott man...
    And the above post mentioning the Courtyards and Marriott Suites and Lincolnshire Resort is on the money...they are all nice properties.
    There are actually two Courtyards on Lake-Cook Road, a few miles apart...the closer one already mentioned is in Deerfield, the other one is in Highland Park. Both were built in the 80's and are first or second generation properties, meaning, they actually have a nice, landscaped courtyard in the middle, unlike newer Courtyards which don't have a courtyard...lame. Both have been renovated several times over the years. Source: I worked at most of the Courtyards in the North Shore and several of the Residence Inns.
    There is also a Wyndham Garden on Lake-Cook a few miles in the opposite direction in Buffalo Grove... price point is way better, but this place seems kind of mediocre, from what I have read. If all you want is a clean place to sleep that's not a dive or budget hotel, it should be fine. It's about a 5 minute drive from the Westin, in light traffic.
    -Mark

I am so glad that someone else, besides me noticed that all new Courtyards do not have actual " courtyards". I've stayed at the Lincolnshire as well as Deerfield ones in the past. Both are really nice.

The one thing I miss at all courtyards is the hot water dispenser and the freeze-dried coffee packets that were a staple in the '90's.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I am so glad that someone else, besides me noticed that all new Courtyards do not have actual " courtyards". I've stayed at the Lincolnshire as well as Deerfield ones in the past. Both are really nice.

I believe the Deerfield one underwent a full renovation recently. I think coasterguy stayed there last year. He said it was really nice.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Required reading: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-olde-court-inn-aka-the-sleazy-crack-whore-hotel

Bonus: Includes pictures from Doughslingers and PMWolf.

#20 4 years ago

The Hampton Inn of Chicago/Lincolnshire is minutes away and very nice if you can't get in at the Westin. Stayed there last year.
    pin hotels.PNG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Various Novelties
    Allteksystems
    $ 12.99
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside