Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0836 (resized).JPG
    images (resized).jpg
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Expo is right around the corner, anyone getting excited? What's your plan for the Expo? Anything you wanna bring home? I'm personally looking for a Metallica pro..

#2 6 years ago

Youre Lucky to be so close!

We really loved Elk Grove!

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballbrat:

anyone getting excited?

no.
    Expo... is that still a thing?
    If so; sorry to hear it.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

no.
    Expo... is that still a thing?
    If so; sorry to hear it.</blockquote

What's wrong with Expo?

#5 6 years ago

Just Texas Pride!

#6 6 years ago

Expo is a great show! I'm sure I'll too busy to go this year, but to me it's one of the best pinball shows in the country. Sure in terms of game count it's not as high as others, but the experience you get with all the panels, the people, and being in the heart of the industry really makes this a unique show worth attending. Plus it often gets a nice handful of new pinball debuts/announcements.

#7 6 years ago

Expo is a good show, pacak is a terrible person to run it. After many years, my games won't be there again.

#8 6 years ago

Expo can't wait. but still to far away. summer is still here. ill be there

#9 6 years ago

i will probably be there it will be the first time i go to expo.

#10 6 years ago

Great event, will attend again .

#11 6 years ago

I will probably bring my NFS restored Getaway and possibly a Bally Bumper.

#12 6 years ago

I'm planning to bring a game or two again this year for the free play room

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Expo can't wait. but still to far away. summer is still here. ill be there

Curious what your disagreed with? After years of helping with the show and personally witnessing/being subjected to pacaks treatment of people, it's not worth my effort to bring games to line his pockets.

1 week later
    #14 6 years ago

I'm considering going to Expo this year since my girlfriend and I are already planning a Chicago trip, but I really don't know much about it because their website is terrible. The only convention I've been to is TPF so that's all I can compare to. As I understand it, Chicago has many fewer games to play and is more speaker focused. Is that accurate? Can anyone who has gone before give me an idea of what to expect? Is it worth it to go all days? I also want to note I am going to TPF again next year so this isn't replacing that. Just want to know if this is worth going to. Thanks

#15 6 years ago

there are definitely fewer games.

for me personally, i take one day to enjoy everything at Expo. This is a show where a lot of "new" game announcements are made. Rumor is that JJP #4 will be unveiled at this years expo. Also, if you have a car then it is worth the drive out to Huntley for the Pinball Life event. If you don't have a car, just find someone that is going and hitch a ride.

#16 6 years ago

Absolutely can't wait. Games for sale
    Last Action Hero
    Hook
    World Cup 94
    Corvette ?
    And more possibly.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

I'm considering going to Expo this year since my girlfriend and I are already planning a Chicago trip, but I really don't know much about it because their website is terrible. The only convention I've been to is TPF so that's all I can compare to. As I understand it, Chicago has many fewer games to play and is more speaker focused. Is that accurate? Can anyone who has gone before give me an idea of what to expect? Is it worth it to go all days? I also want to note I am going to TPF again next year so this isn't replacing that. Just want to know if this is worth going to. Thanks

there is a lot of cool one off games there. There web site is very stuck in the past.

#18 6 years ago

Playing a ton of nice pins in free play area is not an Expo thing. It's awesome for new never seen before pins and industry releases. A good number of home brew and prototype stuff too. Thursday and Friday is all you really need.

Trents tournament is pretty busy as well.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Playing a ton of nice pins in free play area is not an Expo thing.

If you are ever actually in that area and play the pins my group brings and maintains, I don't know how you could feel this way. Feel free to introduce yourself to me this year and we can play some games. I wear a Pinside name tag every year.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

If you are ever actually in that area and play the pins my group brings and maintains, I don't know how you could feel this way. Feel free to introduce yourself to me this year and we can play some games. I wear a Pinside name tag every year.

There are probably 50 pins in total in the free play room worth playing for most pinheads.

Expo quantity has continually degreaded in the past 4-5 years. When Andrew took over the hall it was better and getting back on track but I heard that is no longer happening this year. Sounds like Miek just continues to piss off more and more good people that have worked to keep expo alive.

Sad but true that TPF has obviously taken over as the premier/well rounded show.

If people want a show to play quality pins in quantity, then VFW, ReplayFX, and TPF for sure beat out expo.

The only thing keeping expo alive at this stage is the location and history.

#21 6 years ago

also, big thanks to those that continue to bring quality stuff!

the ohio crew and CPM crew bring some great stuff!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Between the Spirit you guys brought out and Total Annihilation, that's pretty much the only thing I did last year at expo. Well worth attending for me.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

also, big thanks to those that continue to bring quality stuff!
    the ohio crew and CPM crew bring some great stuff!

Some of those people you mention have gotten fed up, or nearly fed up, with Mike and are considering backing off support from what I've heard.

It's still a fun show though.

#24 6 years ago

I am trying to Vend at Expo and cannot get a reply to my inquires. I may just listen to the many others who warned me about Expo and stay away. Sad.

#25 6 years ago

I haven't decided if I'm going or not this year (been to the last 5), but leaning not right now. I'm just not sure it's a "must attend" show anymore.

#26 6 years ago

So, when we lived in the suburbs of Chicago I always brought at least two machines for the free play area and yes dealing with Mike P was enough to rattle even this guy's normally cool demeanor. But, since Andrew and everyone in the red shirts stepped in to manage the free play area, donating games became the enjoyable experience it should have always been.

Since we moved, I've still driven back the past two years and brought one pin (so as to avoid having to drag my trailer 1K miles each way) and we're planning to come back this year too, especially because since it is in Chicago there's so much more than just doing Expo. That said, I'll be really disappointed if the team managing the free play area isn't there this time. That would probably be the last nail in the coffin for us.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

So, when we lived in the suburbs of Chicago I always brought at least two machines for the free play area and yes dealing with Mike P was enough to rattle even this guy's normally cool demeanor. But, since Andrew and everyone in the red shirts stepped in to manage the free play area, donating games became the enjoyable experience it should have always been.
    Since we moved, I've still driven back the past two years and brought one pin (so as to avoid having to drag my trailer 1K miles each way) and we're planning to come back this year too, especially because since it is in Chicago there's so much more than just doing Expo. That said, I'll be really disappointed if the team managing the free play area isn't there this time. That would probably be the last nail in the coffin for us.

Bring your hammer then. I know some of that crew isn't going anymore.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

I am trying to Vend at Expo and cannot get a reply to my inquires. I may just listen to the many others who warned me about Expo and stay away. Sad.

Not a great vendor show, but worth it to make some contacts if you have never been.

#29 6 years ago

Great show for seeing new stuff and hanging with friends.

#30 6 years ago

Chicago expo show 2016 did not seem as fun or interesting as prior years shows. The food in the area and the people are always the best parts of the show but the pinball and vendors just didn't seem engaging or fun. I would suggest the other shows around the country from VFW, Replay FX.

#31 6 years ago

Since I don't care too much about new game announcements until they are at a location I can play, and since I won't know anyone else there to make contacts or friends with, it sounds like I am better off skipping this. I enjoy watching seminars and I do want to tour the stern factory, but it sounds like the actual playing of pinball is rather minimal at Expo. Maybe we'll just skip it and spend that money to go to the hall of fame in Vegas.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Since I don't care too much about new game announcements until they are at a location I can play, and since I won't know anyone else there to make contacts or friends with, it sounds like I am better off skipping this. I enjoy watching seminars and I do want to tour the stern factory, but it sounds like the actual playing of pinball is rather minimal at Expo. Maybe we'll just skip it and spend that money to go to the hall of fame in Vegas.

There is a lot of pinball at expo, there is more open game room time at expo than anywhere. There are not as many games as some other shows. The game room quality varies, it's up to the people bringing the games.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

go to the hall of fame in Vegas.

that would be a waste of a trip. Aside from the few rare title, PHOF is not a place worth making a special trip to. Most games are poorly maintained, pitched aweful, and leaning to a side. PHOF is worth the trip if going to vegas but not as the reason to go to Vegas.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that would be a waste of a trip. Aside from the few rare title, PHOF is not a place worth making a special trip to. Most games are poorly maintained, pitched aweful, and leaning to a side. PHOF is worth the trip if going to vegas but not as the reason to go to Vegas.

Yes, phof would not be the only reason to be in Vegas, just a stop.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

There's not as many games on the floor as a show like TPF, however that's not to say there aren't enough to make it worthwhile. If you'd enjoy the seminars and Stern factory tour, then the amount of games available to play will likely be able to round out your trip into a nice quality experience.

Despite not growing at the rate that other shows have, I'd still say there's enough unique quality content at Expo to make it one of the better shows in the country.

#36 6 years ago

I highly recommend Expo, though my only events to compare it to are Replay and VFW. Expo has enough games, is better for new games and homebrew games (and the chance to talk to their creators.) By playing during events and parties, there is seldom a line for the games. 6 a.m. is a great time to play everything, and a reason to stay in the host hotel. You get a chance to decide if Orbitor 1 or Hercules is the worst game. The charity auction is a nice way to give away the stuff you really don't want to list on Ebay. The tournament is in the hallway, allowing a chance to stand beside the Elwins and Sharps awaiting their turns. The autograph session is amazing--looks like a Topcast interview hall of fame, and the new guys are there, too. Pinball's historical sites,Pinball Life,Stern factory, barcades--- You're in Chicago! The show itself has history, and the promotors have AOL addresses,like I do, so they were there helping me invent the internet before you whippersnappers were born.

#37 6 years ago

Yep, skipping EXPO this year. The only thing I'm REALLY gonna miss is seeing my homies that I hang with every year. I'm headed to the Cleveland show in a month, though, to get my fall show fix. Hope to attend some others next year out of state, like TPF, VFW, MGC & ReplayFX. Cheers, ballers!

#38 6 years ago

I forgot to add the great vendors with long hours, great games that come up from Cincinnati, the fall color in the nature preserve you see out the hotel window, the free parking, walkable restaurants and the nice people you meet at any pinball rendezvous.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Absolutely can't wait. Games for sale
    Last Action Hero
    Hook
    World Cup 94
    Corvette ?
    And more possibly.

Price on Corvette?

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from ViolinSteve:

Yep, skipping EXPO this year. The only thing I'm REALLY gonna miss is seeing my homies that I hang with every year. I'm headed to the Cleveland show in a month, though, to get my fall show fix. Hope to attend some others next year out of state, like TPF, VFW, MGC & ReplayFX. Cheers, ballers!

WhAt abOuT OHIO sHow? dO you ATTEND tHAT?

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

#42 6 years ago

Is Marco going to be at Expo with the new Sterns for play? I heard a rumor that they may not come this year.

#43 6 years ago

I'm really trying to decide if I'll make the trip out myself.

The main tourney format and the low payouts in classics really has me saying no at this point.

Best thing about expo are the people attending and all the friendly industry folk in attendance. The latest and greatest games to play along with all the homebrew projects being shown. Of course all the great food nearby does help a bit.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

That's in the Spring, usually. I did not attend 2017, but did in 2015 or 16, before it moved locations. Hopefully will be able to attend 2018 Ohio show. AnD yeS, tHats fuNNy WhaT yoU DId tHEre.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Best thing about expo are the people attending

That's primarily why I've gone the last ten years or so, but fewer and fewer friends of mine go anymore.

I won't be going this year. There's only so much money in the travel budget and there are too many better shows to go to.

#46 6 years ago

It's too expensive for what it is. You're into the trip for a grand pretty easy, and that's someone that's just driving. I've been once and that was enough for me.

#47 6 years ago

Expo is a walking corpse...it's dead and hasn't realized it yet. I've been going for the last six years and it's going downhill fast. There was an exception in , I believe it was '15, when Mike gave up the pin area to others and it was fantastic. But the vendors are a fraction of what they used to be and good "Show Only" deals seem to be a thing of the past. It used to be that it took a good 2-3 days to fully experience the show. Last year, I was there on Friday and, honestly, I was completely bored after 3 hours. I gave someone my pass for Saturday, as it was worth more for me to go home. Now add in that Pinball Life doesn't have their event (and the bullshit cash grab by Stern last year) and it makes Expo less attractive.

I honestly would love to hear people rate all of the shows. Expo was the preeminent show for years but now I'm not sure it is even in the Top 10.

#48 6 years ago

I had a blast last year! And Pinball Life did still have their open house, they just no longer allow alcohol because they thought it was getting out of control.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

the bullshit cash grab by Stern last year

LMAO, We went to that show also. My buddy was yelling that exact word to Gary!

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #50 6 years ago

FYI ... I see that the seminar/events page for expo is updated now for 2017. A few things strike my interest on that list.
    http://www.pinballexpo.net/seminar.pdf

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expo-2/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.