Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

What am I missing? I didn't want to out this in the regular STTNG thread, but I just recently picked one up after on again, off again looking for one for ages. It had never really grabbed me before, but so many people who I really trust their opinions have told me it is one of the greatest games ever.

I started it up tonight, ready to figure it out and... I feel like I'm missing something, which has been what I've felt about it in the past. Is everything basically a mode?

I love the theme and I love the look of it, but... What am I missing? I really want to give this one a fair shake... STTNG lovers... Help?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Not sure what to tell you here. Yes it is one of the greatest pins of all time...IMHO. But if it didn't grab you before why do you think it will now?

I've had do many good friends whose tastes usually align with mine tell me about how awesome it is, and I do love the theme. I never get enough time to just sit and play it. I figured I could get one, play it for a while, and if it really isn't for me, move it along.

I just needed a jump start on exactly what I'm doing, which this thread did. I'll play it some more and see what happens

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

the weird things is its a hassle to mantain and thats part of the fun

Yeah, I'm discovering that already. Mine, which was working last weekend when I picked it up, seems to have lost track of how many balls are in it and doesn't want to move the right cannon... I just want to play it some more until I understand how much I like it, and then I'll be happy to tweak it...

Having said that, I did play a couple games before it lost the balls this morning, and I definitely enjoyed it more already thanks to some of the tips, so... Thanks!

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I wouldn't try to force yourself to like it. Every pin has it's fans and haters, even top rated pins.

Oh, I'm not. I have enough other stuff that I do like, I just wanted to see what the big deal was here, and I never get it in others collections. I also really enjoy the theme, and I have always enjoyed shooting it.

Oddly, my machine decided it wants more attention and has diverted all balls away from the cannons, and the sound just decided to go out. Obviously, I need to open it up to look more carefully, but in playing it in a gimp edition way, I am finding it a lot easier to understand.

At some point, I'm going to fix it up really nicely, and then I'll decide what happens. In a gimped form though, it's pretty sweet.

I do appreciate how many difficult long shots the game has.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I hear ya..they told me the same thing when I was new to the hobby. Also TZ and TSSP were supposed to be the second coming. I went through all 3. The truth is STTNG is not that great, neither is TZ and TSPP for that matter.

I'm not new to this by any means. I've been hearing that I should get a STTNG since about 2001. And actually, unlike TZ and TSPP, which I can pinpoint on both of those exactly what I don't like about them, I have never been able to pinpoint not liking STTNG. I just have never been able to pinpoint what is so great about it either, thus a big part of why it appeared in my basement. I have bought games to spend a lot of time with them to figure out, so this isn't my first time trying that, but usually I start to get it much faster.

Having said that, again, this thread has been quite helpful to me already, so I think I understand it better. I now need to repair a few things on it, because STTNG, and then give it a bit more time. If I don't love it, that's fine - I can't fit everything in my basement anyway.

Quoted from MikeS:

The coding is great with the exception of the video mode.

You know, and I never thought about this until you mentioned it, but perhaps this is a contributing factor. I tend to dislike any games with video modes, and I'm both particularly bad at the STTNG video mode, and I know it is worth TONS of points. Disabling it or making it worth FAR less would probably increase my enjoyment of the game significantly, just like making the video mode in Tommy disappear made that game SO much better

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.99
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/explain-sttng-to-me-1?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.