Thanks Andrew, I guess I should call that a half-flash. I've changed the PIA chips three times. (all three tested good on the tester) I think the problem is with the new IC socket I installed.
Quench, this time I followed your example. I removed all the IC sockets. I pried off all the plastic covers then heated each pin and removed the pin as the solder melted. (but I didn't pull them out with my fingers) This is the soldering station I have (set at 550* F.) :
But this still leaves solder in the holes. To remove the remaining solder I use a desoldering station similar to this (mine is no longer available).
This is where I lose the solder pads. The only pads I lose are the pads without a trace connected.
This is a Bally board and I seem to have more problems with Bally boards. There is no temperature reading on the desoldering tool - only a potentiometer without any markings. I guess I had it set at about 80 percent. Maybe I have it set too hot.
When I removed the header pins I used the same method (one pin at a time). Then removed the solder left in the holes with the desoldering tool. This time I set the heat to about 60 percent. That worked much better.
Once I get this board fixed I have another Bally board to repair. I'll try less heat next time.