Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by emo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Compare TZ and IJ.

Particularly as a home pin.

What is a better compliment to SM in a home collection?

I am heading to work, I expect no less than 100 posts on this by 11 PM CST!
    EDIT :::::::more info needed from my next post

#3 12 years ago

IJ and SM are both 2 flipper/fan flowing games so I would say TZ as it is totally different.

#4 12 years ago

I'm confused, T_G. It shows that you already have an IJ in your collection. Are you thinking about trading it for a TZ?

#5 12 years ago

Both are wide-bodies. To me not a lot of flow in either. TZ is a fun game and fun to "mod" out. IJ is good but I would take a TZ again. I miss mine but not as much as I would miss my AFM or the WH2O that I sold.

#6 12 years ago

How about this instead...if I want as much diversification playing wise, which 3 would i pick out of these 5 and why?

SM LOTR IJ TZ AFM

#7 12 years ago

Diversity?
    TZ- best widebody with ton to do. LITZ may be best wizard mode ever.
    AFM- best game ever
    LOTR- depth is second to none with decent modes and multiball galore.

I played a beautiful IJ today and while it is a stunning pin with a great theme it just lacks in speed.

SM is a great game and if it wasn't for my love of AFM I would substitute SM in it's spot. Not as fun as AFM though.

#8 12 years ago

SM- Because it is SM, Duh!.. Man TG, you have to make these questions harder!
    LOTR- because of it's sheer awesomeness/difficulty, paired with great DMD animations and topped off with one of the most fantastically immersive musical packages ever. It will NEVER leave my home! Even if $10,000 was offered for mine, I would decline it... Seriously.
    TZ- Because it is a mental curveball (shot-wise) compared to the other two PF's. (Makes you play better! ) If you are not getting a WOZ this year (next year), TZ is a great alternative.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Even if $10,000 was offered for mine, I would decline it.

I am offering $11k!

The reason I am struggling is my opinions of my old favorites have changed so much since I last played them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my IJ, it's just not all that I remembered it to be. I guess if I had my SM, I wouldn't be too worried about what else I have but...I really think I want to at least have 3 pins in the end and I am not sure IJ is one of them...sigh

To top it off, even with IJ in the house, I keep turning back to that stupid Congo! It is a blast. I think my biggest problem with IJ is it is very stop and go. I like to go, go, go!

Damn, this hobby is wacky.

#10 12 years ago

Sounds like you need an IM TG!
    Not much "stop and go" there!
    AFM is a good choice for that as well. (Helloooo poor!)

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Sounds like you need an IM TG!

Maybe I need to give it another chance. I get kinda pissed at it with the middle ball drains off of the war machine, though. It doesn't make me drool like SM, either...

And yes, AFM may be out just because of the $$$$$

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

How about this instead...if I want as much diversification playing wise, which 3 would i pick out of these 5 and why?
    SM LOTR IJ TZ AFM

I would go with SM because it is my favorite pin I have ever played. Then I would go with TZ it is not in my top five but it sure seems to be most people's favorite so I wouldn't mind owning it someday to give it the true test. Then LOTR because it is a pretty epic and deep pin.

I heard the criticism from some that owned AFM that it gets to repetitive although I love playing it when I get the chance. And it seems a bit overpriced for what you get to me. And most of you know I am not a big IJ fan so I won't go there.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

To top it off, even with IJ in the house, I keep turning back to that stupid Congo! It is a blast. I think my biggest problem with IJ is it is very stop and go. I like to go, go, go!

I love my TZ. But it is stop and go, IMHO. I can't comment on SM, but it sure looks perty.

#14 12 years ago

Go with SM, LOTR and TZ. And when it comes time to give IJ the boot drive on over to Omaha and I'll take her off your hands

#15 12 years ago

I've had the opportunity to buy these to for about $3600 each in epic condition and I just am not that interested in either to pay $3000 for either of these games.

#16 12 years ago

tz was the first pin I bought and have had it about 7 years. It would probably be the last pin to leave my collection also. That said IJ is probably the pin in my collection most casual players gravitate to. GREAT theme and fun machine, relatively easy to score etc, I personally have only gotten through all its modes once ( hard to shoot the mode hole ) . Both rule sets plenty deep, I enjoy the multiple flipper aspect of TZ. I probably give the slight edge to TZ , but possibly price/ or condition should be your guide if either or both machines become available at the same time to you. Never had much opportunity to play sm but it sounds like many of you compare its play to afm, and as such either of the two machines would be a great compliment to sm..

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

SM LOTR IJ TZ AFM

For me SM,TZ,AFM sounds an unbeatable combo

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expert-or-even-your-opinions-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.