Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

popcaps.jpg
image.jpg
neopop.jpg
adafruit_.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I am modding my Pinbot with some Neopixel Rings from Adafruit. I am running them with a small wearables microcontroller platform called Flora. I ran into a few hurdles just getting the software to run on my Linux PC so that I could program them.

I found also to install these in the game has a few challenges. For one, there is no good way to mount them in or on the pop caps. I think a slightly larger or smaller one would be a better way to go. These are 16 pixel units. The diameter puts them right above the screw holes to mount the cap as well. Ugh. Plus, on Pinbot there is no clearance between the top of the caps and the mini playfield. I am letting them float with no attachment for the time being. The wire is sufficiently stiff enough to keep them in place. Something I could work out later, or maybe on a different game it would work better. So it goes with pioneer work.

The sketch (program) is just a simple cut and paste, all it does is randomly "sparkle" the pixels. I'll be playing around with some more patterns later. I have to see if I can get the software installed on my laptop.

adafruit_.jpgadafruit_.jpg

neopop.jpgneopop.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Maybe you can crazy glue a sturdy piece of bendable wire in each screw hole, then bend them around the neo ring. Then put the wire through the pop cap screw holes and bend it over to keep the caps on nice and tight?

#3 8 years ago

Bummer about the hurdles, but I'm looking forward to seeing your development! They look great!!! Looks like each pixel is RGB? Sounds like you could do a LOT with these.

Following,
Ryan

#4 8 years ago

I'm working on the same idea. I was going to try filling the pop cap with silicon gel and placing the ring in there leaving the back exposed. I'll let you know how it turns out. Epoxy might work too but might not be as clear. They are cheap so I'd just replace the cap and ring as a single unit if needed (need a molex connector to make that easier)

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 8 years ago

It shouldn't be that hard to make a custom NEOPIXEL board... I used NEOPixels in my latest project with a custom PCB:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radiant-pinball-button-project

The real trick would be to make a ring which could be interchanged in most pinball machines.

#6 8 years ago

You have a much better fit with those larger rings Cappi. Anyone can see those two mounting screws plain as day.

Ryan,
Yes, they are RGB. Neopixels are a name for WS2812 LEDs, basically. Look up Neopixels on Adafruit and Youtube. People are putting these things on everything from skateboards, to quad copters and clothing. The controllers are tiny boards, too. You can even get tiny GPS and motion detectors. You can make a clock, a GPS, even a compass. I've been contemplating doing something with Pinbots bumpers for a while, and kind of just stumbled into this Neopixel option.

As far as making a ring goes for multiple machines goes, I agree that would be cool. Someone was working on a 3D printed one with a socket to accept the ring. I don't know how far along they are with that. I think you could cover a lot of games with a few basic designs and multiple screw locations, or more with something like an adapter plate. Would be easier with games with pop bumpers out in the open, rather than those with something right over the pop, like Pinbots mini playfield.

Then there is also getting the wires through the playfield. It would be cool if there were only two wires that you could attach to the lamp socket, but there's 3: ground, power, and data. On my Pinbot, I just drilled a hole through the pop body and playfield big enough for the 3 wires and left the lamp socket stock so it could be reverted back if needed. I didn't care about drilling the Pinbot since it is not the best playfield.

#7 8 years ago

Just frost the cap to hide everything. Staring directly into those LEDs isn't the most pleasant anyway, and you can see each lee individually once it's illuminated.

#8 8 years ago

I have tested RGB Rings with great success, but getting the wires to pass through......no dice so far.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have tested RGB Rings with great success, but getting the wires to pass through......no dice so far.

I'd be interested in your success stories. Some details please? As far as the wires go, I didn't really spend a lot of time with that part of it. Thought about pulling the lamp and using the existing lamp feed holes, perhaps it would be necessary to enlarge one of the holes slightly to accommodate the third wire, it's just something I figured I could go back to experimenting with. Now that I have some of the preliminary road paved, I can go back and explore some possibilities.

1 month later
#10 8 years ago

Here's an update. This is "revision 2.0".

1. Switched out the Flora board for a Trinket Pro, even then the Trinket Pro still has specs that are overkill for this project. At $9.95 the Trinket Pro is half the cost of the Flora.
2. In this revision I used the 12 pixel rings mounted in clear caps. Even though the smaller ring fits inside the support "ridge", it still somewhat blocks the screw holes. I found when mounting them they snapped on quite secure without needing screws anyway. Plus, on Pinbot the mini playfield lays right on top of the caps so they are not going anywhere. So if anyone is planning to do a project like this, you might consider the much larger 24 pixel rings to fit on the outside of the pop cap support "ridge".
3. Added a photoresistor input circuit to pickup the flash lamps under the Increase Solar Value insert, this allows pop flashes to cause a program interaction so that the rings can do something interactive, such as flashing, when the pops are activated.

popcaps.jpgpopcaps.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Wow. Those look sweet.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Switched out the Flora board for a Trinket Pro, even then the Trinket Pro still has specs that are overkill for this project. At $9.95 the Trinket Pro is half the cost of the Flora.

Why not save a couple backs and use the normal 5v Trinket? Do you need more inputs and outputs than it has?

Quoted from wayout440:

Added a photoresistor input circuit to pickup the flash lamps under the Increase Solar Value insert, this allows pop flashes to cause a program interaction so that the rings can do something interactive, such as flashing, when the pops are activated.

Brilliant!

#14 8 years ago

Looks cool wayout--I especially like the photoresistor idea. Thanks for sharing.

#15 8 years ago

Sorry I missed the post 1 month ago.

Our success was with Speaker RGB, we failed at Pop Bumpers because of the desire to Plug and Play.

Well, congrats on thinking Smaller!

In this case, Id recommend communicating with Time Bandit, or Eric and/or Chris with Pinduino.
If you can create a way to have users install, the easiest way possible. You have a Viable product.
the RGB feed can be driven by a Pinduino or other, it can even be driven from our new Flasher Board..
Perhaps better from our advanced or intermediate connection.
So...Amazing!
Production can be done in a cost effective manner to reach lots of users, if you wish to dive in.
It can be done in partnership or alone...but you have a great start, and I could see many different ways to take advantage
of this for a really cool final product....

Shoot me a PM, if I can be of any help.

Art

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Shoot me a PM, if I can be of any help.
Art

Thanks, Art!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why not save a couple backs and use the normal 5v Trinket? Do you need more inputs and outputs than it has?

No, this is still overkill using the Trinket Pro, but since I don't really know the long term plans and I am quite green as far as the programming goes, I figured to allow plenty of overhead for future designs. It's still only an amazing $9.95.

Thanks for the compliments.

#18 8 years ago

Yeah Trinket is $7 so not like a huge gulf there. Great little chip, but it's too easy to overwrite the bootloader. I just ordered an Arduino Uno clone just for repairing bootloaders.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Our success was with Speaker RGB, we failed at Pop Bumpers because of the desire to Plug and Play.

Yeah, this is quite a bit far from plug and play. Running power, getting three wires through the playfield on a pop isn't too hard, as you can use a very fine gauge wire with these low current LEDs, it's just that in most cases you'll have to pull the bulb socket to just do that. Have to be mindful of running the wires away from moving parts, too.

Quoted from Cappi:

I'm working on the same idea. I was going to try filling the pop cap with silicon gel and placing the ring in there leaving the back exposed. I'll let you know how it turns out. Epoxy might work too but might not be as clear. They are cheap so I'd just replace the cap and ring as a single unit if needed (need a molex connector to make that easier)

How'd that work out for you, Cappi? The 24 pixel ring looks like a great fit for the cap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/experiments-with-neopixel-rings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.