(Topic ID: 225307)

Any installation tips for protector on Star Wars Premium/LE ?

By Kobaja

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by iceman44
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hey guys,

I am going to install a new protector on my Stern Star Wars LE.
Obviously this requires removing quite some parts and I am cautious about not screwing it up. I would like to know if anybody here as already attempted this himself and if there are hints and tricks to share, how to make it as easy and unproblematic as possible.

Are there parts that look like they need to be removed, ut actuall don't?
What is the easiest and most efficient way to get out that death star ramp without unneccesary detours?

Please keep this thread concrete and based on actual experience with this procedure, not general hints like "take lots of photos etc" or discussions on the pros and cons of protectors in general

Many thanks from Germany, Julian

#2 5 years ago

My advice? Don't. Waste of time and money and it changes the way it plays. Keep the machine clean and waxed and you'll do much better.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My advice? Don't. Waste of time and money and it changes the way it plays. Keep the machine clean and waxed and you'll do much better.

Thank you. I have one installed already, but want to replace it. Also, I'm really looking for info on HOW, not on if (as stated above).

#4 5 years ago

Why do you feel you need to replace it already?

#5 5 years ago

There are two protectors on the market.

Due to the limited numbers of LE and my late registration for a machine I only got one at a vendor that sells the protector from playfieldprotectors.com. While that product is the only one available for Williams machines it competes against the one from pinball-universe.com on the Stern machines.

Pinball Universe is a spinoff of a plastic processor and they really know their shit. Their protector fits like a condom and can also be polished again. It's absolutely superior, as its surface was also co-designed materialwise by competitive players.

I never believed there could be such a difference between different versions of a "sheet of plastic" until i saw them side by side. You Would not believe.

SWLE is my only pin and it's intended to stay that way. So that pin only gets the best

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

There are two protectors on the market.
Due to the limited numbers of LE and my late registration for a machine I only got one at a vendor that sells the protector from playfieldprotectors.com. While that product is the only one available for Williams machines it competes against the one from pinball-universe.com on the Stern machines.
Pinball Universe is a spinoff of a plastic processor and they really know their shit. Their protector fits like a condom and can also be polished again. It's absolutely superior, as its surface was also co-designed materialwise by competitive players.
I never believed there could be such a difference between different versions of a "sheet of plastic" until i saw them side by side. You Would not believe.
SWLE is my only pin and it's intended to stay that way. So that pin only gets the best

You can polish the playfield protector from playfieldprotectors.com with novus no2. Brings them up like new. We have playfieldprotectors.com on all our games. Fitting a playfield protector on SWLE is difficult. You will have to remove and the re align all the ramps, Hyperloop, deathstar and one of the ball guides underneath the Deathstar.

Good luck!

#7 5 years ago

Don’t

Do

It

I’d never buy a pin with one on it.

Because I’d have to take it off

#8 5 years ago

They are the worst. Games play horribly with them installed, and they immediately get dirty on the edges. Just avoid avoid avoid.

#9 5 years ago

that's pretty cool, didn't know there was a different option. haven't really had many problems with mine, though some can be a pain to install.

Lot of haters, but to each their own. Selling wise, these things can be cut out in like 5 minutes.

#10 5 years ago

I explicitly asked to not post general opinions regarding the whether or not or the pros and cons of the protectors.

And three people here lapean111 @icemann44 PinMonk think it's cool to spam the thread with exactly that type of opinion without providing any type of help.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I explicitly asked to not post general opinions regarding the whether or not or the pros and cons of the protectors.
And three people here lapean111 @icemann44 vireland think it's cool to spam the thread with exactly that type of opinion without providing any type of help.

I didn't give you any pros and cons, just the advice that, based on my experience, you don't need to install one. If you want the best for your pin, keeping it cleaned and waxed is the best you can do for a machine.

If you don't want advice, don't title the thread "Advice..." when something like "Installation Tips..." is more what you want.

#12 5 years ago

That's actually a good point. Unfortunately I cannot change the title anymore.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

That's actually a good point. Unfortunately I cannot change the title anymore.

Yep. Click edit post on post #1.

#14 5 years ago

Done. However I still expect people to give part the tipp 'don't do it'. Have had this experience on pinside a lot, and this will likely be my last thread here expecting actual input beyond unreasoned opinions.

@mods: you can close this.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Done. However I still expect people to give part the tipp 'don't do it'. Have had this experience on pinside a lot, and this will likely be my last thread here expecting actual input beyond unreasoned opinions.
@mods: you can close this.

#16 5 years ago

I wasn't gonna post but now you said you were expecting it so, dont do it. Keep the game clean and in a home use environment it will last forever.
No need for it.

#17 5 years ago

The people that say it changes the way a game plays, must not have ever played one. I notice no difference with games that have one, and i dont have to worry about damage.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

The people that say it changes the way a game plays, must not have ever played one. I notice no difference with games that have one, and i dont have to worry about damage.

If you're worrying about damage, you're not waxing enough. Cliffies at the holes and shooter lanes and wax is all you need to keep a machine's PF looking and performing great.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

You can't "damage" a Huo game in your lifetime.

Wax and change out balls.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/experiences-installing-a-protector-on-star-wars-premium-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.