9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by sethi_i
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 months ago

Curious if anyone has any experience selling a pool table they don't use? I originally got it knowing I wouldn't use it much, just one of those bucket list gotta have one things... However, it's now been sitting collecting dust (has a dust cover for that) for 2yrs now since the last time I played a game on it. Thinking it makes sense to get rid of to make more room for pinball machines. I know I'm going to lose money on the sale, no concerns or delusions there but just wondering if anyone here had any luck in a similar situation? I'm nervous about putting it on craigslist as to see it (which would be a reasonable request naturally) you'd have to see my pinball collection and I fear professional thieves casing places... Am I completely nuts on that concern?

Any guidance/thoughts anyone can provide is likely helpful. It's a Brunswick table with a two piece slate setup that was professionally installed/leveled and shoots great FWIW...

Thanks,
    Jeff

#2 9 months ago

Depending on your area. Can be tough. Too often big things like piano, organ, pool tables, etc. You have trouble giving them away free. Because you have to pay to have them hauled out, and then installed at the new place.

Good luck.

LTG : )

#3 9 months ago

Sold a nice one on CL. You take a huge hit since it basically has to be professionally setup all over again

#4 9 months ago

Have you put the word out to friends and family that you want to part with it? It seems to me that someone would probably know someone that’s looking for a table so it wouldn’t be a complete stranger banging on your door

#5 9 months ago

Appreciate the quick replies. Yeah I'm certainly not looking to get much out of it as I know the market for used pool tables isn't exactly lucrative...

Thanks,
    Jeff

#6 9 months ago

You’ll get people that don’t have a clue about what moving one entails. I found out the cost of a setup/felt job so I could tell potential buyers. Lucked out with some serious pool player guy that had friends that could actually do the setup and help move. It’s a big job selling one, way more hassle than pinball.

#7 9 months ago

It doesn't sound like it directly applies in this scenario but my house came with a cheap pool table that I put on craigslist for $100 just to get rid of it. Someone came with a couple of friends within an hour and took it. Since they're so large and annoying to move/set up you pretty much have to price it low if you want to get rid of it.

#8 9 months ago

My experience is, sell it as quick as you can. Give it away if they'll come move it for you.

#9 9 months ago

The only value is in the very old, classic ones. Otherwise just getting it removed for free (or nearly so) is worth it. I'm selling my house and the pool table stays or I'll have to find another buyer.

#10 9 months ago

My '81 Brunswick was $200 because the estate I bought it from had to have it moved that day. The slate pieces were around 160-180lb each...but the rest of it broke down nicely. Leveled and shimmed it true myself and felted it myself. That being said...not many people want to do that kind of work themselves. It will run them $300-500 to have it moved, so figure that into your expected asking price.

#11 9 months ago

I’m had a customer give me a really nice free pool table a few years ago. Of course it was huge and heavy, so it took a few of us to move it. I never got around to setting it up and eventually sold it for $100.

#12 9 months ago

If an offer is made, run with it.

#13 9 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Depending on your area. Can be tough. Too often big things like piano, organ, pool tables, etc. You have trouble giving them away free. Because you have to pay to have them hauled out, and then installed at the new place.
    Good luck.
    LTG : )

This is very true. It depends on how quickly you want to move it. Two years ago, I put mine on CL for $2700 (a little over half of the original price) thinking it was a long shot. It was a 10 year old, one owner table that was in perfect condition. There were ads asking for more and a lot more asking for less. I figured "what the hell, let's see what happens". Weeks went by, and I'd bump the listing occasionally. I never lowered the price.

Out of the blue a call came in. He was looking for a table "just like this". He came to my house to look at it, and he did ask about the MMr sitting next to it. We agreed on the $2700 with me paying for professional tear-down and re-setup ($400), so I ended up with $2300. Needless to say, I was more than pleased with that outcome.

The moral of this long-winded, rather dull tale, is that you will sell it. The price will depend on finding someone who wants it before you say screw it and give it away. As for the professional thief scouring CL pool table ads for their next score...I'm kinda skeptical.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 230.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 89.99
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 289.00
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Apron Envy
    $ 7.00
    $ 22.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside