(Topic ID: 215045)

Experience Counts! How long do you have your hands inside a Game?

By OLDPINGUY

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Buzz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How long have you been working with Pinball?”

• 0-7 years 54 votes
      47%
    • 7-14 years 23 votes
      20%
    • 14-21 years 15 votes
      13%
    • 21-30 years 10 votes
      9%
    • 30-40 years 9 votes
      8%
    • 40-50 years 2 votes
      2%
    • 50 60 years 2 votes
      2%
    • 60 years plus! 1 vote
      1%

(116 votes)

#1 1 year ago

Well, we get ideas over time how old some of us are, and how long on pinside, or even playing.

But in honor of O-din, LTG, Vid, and many others with tenure, how many years have you had messing around inside?
    (50 and over for Hall of Fame!)

Anything above and beyond a lightbulb!

Ive watched the membership count on Pinside rise continually, and we get new and old.....

Please DO comment with your tenure, or early tech stories!!

#2 1 year ago

Old? Who you calling old, Art?

21 years in the hobby..... Still remember the first order from Bob Roberts and the first belly laugh from Steve Young when I tried to order without a part number..

#3 1 year ago

Probably around 25 years. I remember hauling the cabinets of machines around in an 88 Dodge Daytona.

#4 1 year ago

My earliest recollection is standing on a stool scrubbing a playfield when I was 4 years old. So I'm right at the 60 year mark.

I'll never forgive my parents for not being rich.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : No matter how many years. You are never done learning.

#5 1 year ago

I break 50 years in May. Freaking 8 years old with pliers and a flashlight helping or "destroying" my cousins pin.
    Had to start somewhere!

#6 1 year ago

3-4 years? Pinside claims I bought my first game in 2015.... Time flies!

#7 1 year ago

I think I bought my first machine in 1996, if I recall correctly. TX Sector....Didn't know what I was doing, but I knew it was a long term commitment!

#8 1 year ago

I've been in the hobby about 5 years. Before that, I knew pretty much nothing practical about the inner workings of a pinball machine.

But, I learned quickly by reading, researching, and just by doing. I've always had a knack for this kind of stuff, so that was a big help.

The first game I bought was cheap and non-working, and I learned a lot from repairing it.

Now I bring dead games back to life, help others with repairs when I can, contribute repair info to pinwiki frequently, and started a small pinball show in the northeast (http://pinballsaratoga.com).

It's a fun hobby with a lot of interesting people in it

#9 1 year ago

Mid 90s but wasn't doing any board type work. Standard coil sleeve, soldering, type stuff though.

#10 1 year ago

Acquired my first machine 3 years ago.
    Picked up my little bit o knowledge from here, pinwiki and pinrepair.com

#11 1 year ago

Until I get shocked.

Seriously though, I had never seen inside a pinball machine until about six years ago. But have been fixing just about anything else since I was about old enough to walk.

#13 1 year ago

1st job in 1974 at age 14 was cleaning, replacing rubbers and removing coins from the 6 machines at a swim club snack bar my neighbor owned. Didn't buy my 1st till 1999.

#14 1 year ago

Bought my 1st pin in 1985 but didn't start tinkering under the hood until 2010 when I brought her out of storage to revive her.

#15 1 year ago

2 years in sept. Your poll is going to be skewed heavy for 0-7 I feel.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Mid 90s but wasn't doing any board type work. Standard coil sleeve, soldering, type stuff though.

Me too (mid 80's). I started doing board level work about 20 years ago.

#17 1 year ago

First machine I ever worked on and shopped out was a Data East Simpsons back in the early '90s. I guess that's when I officially got my start, when I was about 12 years old. So 25+ years, but really only very, very actively the last 15 years.

#18 1 year ago

bought my first game 37 years ago

#19 1 year ago

First year in the hobby. We had a personal computer when I was a kid so I didn't go to arcades. Been messing around with custom cars the last 25 years. Played a pinny in a bar (g.b. and taf) and got hooked. This hobby reminds me a bit of my car hobby, but different enough to be a change.
    Bought a project J. P. Fixed it up and sold it. Bought a J. D. And cleaned it up and playing it as much as i can. Fixing up a project f.t. at mo.
    I do enjoy fixing these things up.
    Got a nib MET coming soon aswell \m/
    Been to 1 tournament and I enjoyed that

#20 1 year ago

First machine in 1994(SS). First EM in 2015. Big lull in between. I had a Career to finish out.
    I shopped that first machine as well as replaced a power supply. First playfield touchups and complete bulb renewal.
    Just now learning SS board repair. Very confident about my EM repair skills.

#21 1 year ago

Amazing to read the progression of others. I've been doing my own repairs for two years and hope one day to be more than just a novice in this hobby once I retire hopefully in 10 years. Funny to think I didn't even know you could buy a pinball machine. Boy did my life change once I discovered you could. One board repair under my belt and hoping to get to full restoration skill one day.

#22 1 year ago

Im really shocked at the poll so far....there really are less old farts on pinside than I thought!

#23 1 year ago

I’m 34 and been in the hobby about 4 years. First game was a $1000 T2 that needed board work and gi connectors. Got a quick education from the Pinside folks and haven’t looked back. About half way through a Pinbot restore now. Learned all about not dicking with lamps with the power on, and how to repair the two transistors I exploded

#24 1 year ago

In 1993 I got a job at an arcade in town, and learned a lot about both video games and pinball machines. I also started doing tech work for a local operator, and that turned into me troubleshooting old pins he had stashed in a warehouse and getting them up and running so he could sell them. It was here I started doing board level work.

In 1995 I got my chance to run my own small arcade at a Mexican market in Fresno. I ran it for three years and it helped pay my room and board through college. I sold it in 1998 and took a break from videos and pinball machines until 2014. So I guess my total time is just about 9 years.

#25 1 year ago

Bought my first game a little over 12 years ago and was learning to fix it the first week of ownership. Good ole container game, missing parts and hacked boards. First repair was replacing a flipper transistor, second repair was fixing a whole lot of other shit when I wired a flipper coil incorrectly.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im really shocked at the poll so far....there really are less old farts on pinside than I thought!

Age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how long you have been working on pinball machines.

But if you want to ask about playing pinball machines, the first one I remember was around 1967 or 68.

#27 1 year ago

I’ve been in this hobby less than a year and I’ve owned 13 pins. In that time I’ve learned a lot and met a bunch of great guys. I’m still just a rookie here and still have a lot to learn. My wife is now getting in on the hobby and we play a few games together most nights.

#28 1 year ago

might want to start a poll "how old are you"

#29 1 year ago

Right on the cusp of 7 years. (June 17th will be 7 years). Was a 500 buck Space Shuttle that I'd knew I was going to be wanting a CPR playfield for..I'd done research on what parts were available, because I'm smart like that. I'd never even touched a soldering iron before. Now it's just like..whatever. I installed a battery eliminator RAM chip replacement last night in about 30 minutes.

#30 1 year ago

Owning my first pin in 1982, that is 36 years ago. Tinkered with some problems myself. Once it went into a constant reset, borrowed a friends van took the pin across the city for service. A week later, and a whopping $70.00 repair, and it has been going good so far, knock on wood.

#31 1 year ago

I've been tinkering with pinball machines since the summer of 2004. I was in 8th grade going into high school. My mom got an EM game at a yard sale for my dad that summer since he's the kind of guy who likes to fix things.

He didn't have time to look at it, but me being a bit of an outcast, never playing sports, and school being out, I had all the time in the world. Took me a couple months to figure out it was a single score reel switch stuck closed, but with the help of Clay's guides, I got it working. What a rush it was to go from pile o' junk to working game! It was that summer I truly found a passion for something.

I think I spent most of my time on RGP back then. For the hell of it, I dug up some old posts I made all those years ago. For those who put up with me asking really dumb questions an 8th grader would ask (lookin' you, LTG!), I sincerely thank you all. You all really bolstered my confidence and made me feel like not the outcast I always felt like in school.

#32 1 year ago

Cool story but man I feel old now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 64.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 14.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside