• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

79309910_10157633425546271_210464697562955776_n (resized).jpg
79947483_10157633425591271_2080383584387989504_n (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Last year I picked up my grail game, Monster Bash from a local collector. When I got to his place we removed the BG and there was a little fuzz on the batteries. No major leakage, just some light fuzz, we had caught it just in time. I got the game home, cleaned up the battery holder and didn't think a whole lot more about it.

Last week was the one week anniversary so down to the basement I went. When I removed the BG I was horrified by what I found. My theory is there was still some alkaline residue left on the battery holder and it slowly ate away at the battery. *sigh* Don't mess around with $3 battery packs, if there was ever any kind of leakage toss that baby right out and get a new one or install some NVRAM

So now to send this guy off to have some sockets swapped out a NVRAM installed.

79309910_10157633425546271_210464697562955776_n (resized).jpg79309910_10157633425546271_210464697562955776_n (resized).jpg79947483_10157633425591271_2080383584387989504_n (resized).jpg79947483_10157633425591271_2080383584387989504_n (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Yeah that will have to be cleaned very well to stop the corrosion from further damage. I had NVRAM installed on mine just for the peace of mind factor. Chris Hibler did mine and he did a fantastic job to say the least.

#3 4 years ago

That sucks. Sorry to see that. Lesson learned. It always sucks that the hard lessons learned in pinball are expensive. But I doubt it will ever happen again to you. Next time cut out that battery pack right away and to the trash it goes. Hopefully your board repair is somewhat cheap. Good luck.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Last year I picked up my grail game, Monster Bash from a local collector. When I got to his place we removed the BG and there was a little fuzz on the batteries. No major leakage, just some light fuzz, we had caught it just in time. I got the game home, cleaned up the battery holder and didn't think a whole lot more about it.
Last week was the one week anniversary so down to the basement I went. When I removed the BG I was horrified by what I found. My theory is there was still some alkaline residue left on the battery holder and it slowly ate away at the battery. *sigh* Don't mess around with $3 battery packs, if there was ever any kind of leakage toss that baby right out and get a new one or install some NVRAM
So now to send this guy off to have some sockets swapped out a NVRAM installed.[quoted image][quoted image]

Ugh. Tough lessons

#5 4 years ago

A good 10% of my first visits with a new client, are fixing this very issue.

#6 4 years ago

Now to debate if I should send it off to clean it up, swap out some sockets, etc or to just buy a Rottendog. Normally I would have caught something like this sooner, but it's been a hectic year and not a lot of time tinkering on the games.

#7 4 years ago

Either way should result in a reliable board. Assuming you send it off to someone good, like Chris, it will return to you bulletproofed. Or, you can save the downtime, buy the Rottendog and also have a bulletproof system.

#8 4 years ago

Cheaper to have it fixed and like I said Chris Hibler will do a great job for you and is reliable.

#9 4 years ago

Hmmm, Radio Shack batteries? Gotta figure those were a bit old already.

Chris did a nice job fixing some sound boards for me. A few years ago Jerry Clause up in MI cleaned up my RCT mpu that had a bunch of battery damage (Not my fault, I bought it that way!). Also did a very nice job, machine still works perfect. Labor, parts and shipping was right about $165. That also included the NVRAM and install. Repair time was just about 1 month.

Good luck, hope it's up and running soon!

#10 4 years ago

Clive at coin-op cauldron does a great job as well.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Now to debate if I should send it off to clean it up, swap out some sockets, etc or to just buy a Rottendog. Normally I would have caught something like this sooner, but it's been a hectic year and not a lot of time tinkering on the games.

Rottendog are ALWAYS a move of last resort.

Try and get your original fixed first. You will be much better off.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

If it was mine, take me a hot 2 hours at best to clean that up and repair. No offense to Rottendog but no reason to replace that board at all.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks guys, I have dropped Chris a line.

As per the Radio Shack batteries, they were on a shelf for two years and purchased when my local place went out of business. They were installed in the machine for one year. Last I checked most batteries have a five year shelf life. The expiration on these is 2026. So it seemed like an ok bet to use for the one year period. The downfall was the alkaline residue in the the battery holder that I missed when neutralizing.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Hmmm, Radio Shack batteries? Gotta figure those were a bit old already.
Chris did a nice job fixing some sound boards for me. A few years ago Jerry Clause up in MI cleaned up my RCT mpu that had a bunch of battery damage (Not my fault, I bought it that way!). Also did a very nice job, machine still works perfect. Labor, parts and shipping was right about $165. That also included the NVRAM and install. Repair time was just about 1 month.
Good luck, hope it's up and running soon!

+1 for Jerry Clause, he's worked on at least 3 of my boards, professional and reasonable.

#15 4 years ago

At an absolute minimum, my policy is never use alkaline batteries at all. Use AA Lithiums. They pretty much never leak.

Remote holders are also cheap and take almost no time to install and move the batteries away from the MPU board.

NVRAM when possible is usually best of course.

Alkalines are unreliable and I suspect the market has been flooded with bad quality fakes (or just bad quality batteries) for years.

Death Sticks

RM

#16 4 years ago

That sucks. Hope you get it back up and running soon. I just recently started switching to remote battery holders and NVRAM for all my required games. I've decided to not test my luck anymore.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Clive at coin-op cauldron does a great job as well.

Second and third that opinion.
Everything I've ever sent to him has come back looking new.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Second and third that opinion.
Everything I've ever sent to him has come back looking new.

He rebuilt all my Star Race boards a few years back and I have not had any problems since. I sent Chris my Circus boards and he did a fantastic job as well. We are fortunate that we have so many choices from great people that can be trusted.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Alkalines are unreliable and I suspect the market has been flooded with bad quality fakes (or just bad quality batteries) for years.

Actually I read a great thread a few years ago on another board which was very in depth on the subject. A lot of the current alkaline issues are related to the "arms race" among battery companies trying to get the maximum life out of batteries. Changes in formulations and battery venting has a lot to do with the current problems we see today.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Actually I read a great thread a few years ago on another board which was very in depth on the subject. A lot of the current alkaline issues are related to the "arms race" among battery companies trying to get the maximum life out of batteries. Changes in formulations and battery venting has a lot to do with the current problems we see today.

I'd much rather have batteries that last half as long but never vomit corrosive goop all over everything but hey that's me.

RM

#21 4 years ago

That sucks. I always do either NVRAM or a remote battery holder on all my games.

#22 4 years ago

I recommend John Wart Jr, I've used Jerry Claus and my buddy has used coin op cauldron, both are good but John's handiwork was top notch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 75.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expensive-lesson-learned-re-battery-holders and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.