(Topic ID: 6576)

Expecting twins next week: AFM and MB :)

By jimjim66

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinbob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Just got my catwalk pictures from Jim McCune. He just finished the restore of my AFM and MB. They look gorgeous. The AFM was BUO. (Bar Use Only) , filthy, smelled like smoke, and I don't think a light worked. SOL hole was big and sloppy. (I know doesn't sound good, but it didn't look good either)

Jim has an eye for restoration that is incredible. He did my TOTAN before this, so I knew what to expect, but his pictures still take my breath away. I nicknamed him "The Best Kept Secret". I know it was hard work, but he loves what he does and it shows.

The AFM is modded to high heaven. Chromed Mother ship, lighted backboard, Bill Ung Saucer kit, RobinVA martians, Mike Chestnut chrome, Pinbits shaker, Flipper Fidelity speakers, HSA clear coat playfields.

The MB besides being chromed is pretty much mod free.

Here are the pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/JFSAFMAndMB?authkey=Gv1sRgCIvq_53avY2X6QE

#2 12 years ago

those are neat. congratulations

#3 12 years ago

Looks great. Wish I had your wallet. Couldn't afford the legs.

#4 12 years ago

Nice score jimjim!
Good to hear you saved some pins from suffering a slow painful death.
MB is definitely a great pin!
It sounds like the only thing that is left to do on that AFM is to 'Color DMD' it...
Only then will you achieve total AFM nirvana.

#5 12 years ago

WOW 2 AMAZING looking machines! nice for sure!

#6 12 years ago

Looks better than new!

#7 12 years ago

Talk about two perfect looking machines. Wow! Not a speck of even dust on those games. Amazing work honda350_r.

#8 12 years ago

It's a Pin!!!
give out cigars...your a proud father

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from dnhayden:

Talk about two perfect looking machines. Wow! Not a speck of even dust on those games. Amazing work honda350_r.

Thanks Dn ! These games Jim is going to get next Saturday are stunning. I think he will be happy .

Here is a clip of the AFM light show . https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/AfmPfMovie?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLw78q6p-agXA#5656495601486850978

Jim

#10 12 years ago

What does a restore like that run?

#11 12 years ago

Too beautiful,The parents must be models as well.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Kane:

What does a restore like that run?

Depends on the mods. Parts are the most expensive part of a restore and can really run the price up. AFM cost more than MB.

For AFM:

Example:

Don't mind sharing as you can pretty much look things up on the internet.

Backboard mod was a little over 250 counting the LED strip to run it. Chroming the saucer was about 70 bucks. 250 for new decals. 750 playfield. 200 for clear coating playfield. Around 400 Chrome legs, side rails, and lock down bar (Have to look it up, forgot). Plastic sets, coil wrappers, paint, mantis protectors, etc... add up, (Don't have an itemized list, but you can look up prices on BAA, Marco, or other sites) 200 for LED martians...

I didn't go cheap on the parts.

Jim's labor was the best bargain of the whole project, he didn't make much considering the time he put into it. I really don't want to post what he charged me as it was a friendship price, but I will say I was able to put more into my machine, and actually do a 2nd machine, because he was so reasonable priced on his labor.

He lives in Utah, and I live near Fresno, and he is going to personally deliver them to me. Who does that?

He is a humble guy, but I do like to give him a huge thank you. He is one of the good guys, and has skills only a few can touch.

#13 12 years ago

Your AFM sounds like a keeper for sure.

#15 12 years ago

better then factory new!

#16 12 years ago

Great machines, enjoy

#17 12 years ago

You scored big time!!!!!!!!!!

#18 12 years ago

Excellent looking pins! Congratulations. Is the AFM cabinet clear coated?

#19 12 years ago

Wow, they look beautiful, immaculate

What great work on 2 superb pins!

#20 12 years ago

congrats, look great

#21 12 years ago

Two mods to AFM I would do if it wasn't already done would be the upgraded strobe pcb and "blackout" mod both sold by Pinbits, really adds to the game.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from PwninShiznat:

Excellent looking pins! Congratulations. Is the AFM cabinet clear coated?

No, they are decals that were silk screened by Phoenix arcade. I know they still have Funhouse decals, I don't know if they have any stock left over for AFM.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Two mods to AFM I would do if it wasn't already done would be the upgraded strobe pcb and "blackout" mod both sold by Pinbits, really adds to the game.

Got them. I also got the rest of the Bill Ung kit, hallway lights, etc...

The only thing left is the color dmd. I went to PPE just to see if that was a mod I would like, and boy I thought it was impressive.

The original mod that I haven't seen in any AFM was an actual chromed space ship. I was going to try "show" chrome on the plastic, but it was quoted about 250 for show chrome. I got "regular" chrome on it for 70 bucks. I did not want to spend 250 and not like it.

Tough to ride that fine line between blinging it out, and making it too gaudy. That's why I didn't chrome the coin door and hinges, and LED the GI lighting. I didn't want to take it too far over. The LED martians were on the cusp and almost didn't make the cut.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I am not typically a mod guy but have to admit that Jim's modded AFM is really neat with all the mods.

Makes my stock AFM a little plain Jane .

#24 12 years ago

Unreal! Some beauties you've got there jimjim, you're a lucky man.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 12 years ago

Simply stunning!!!

#27 12 years ago

Truly beautiful. He did an amazing job on those.

#29 12 years ago

Here are a few shots of the playfeild going back together . Thanks for all the great comments!

I am really exited to deliver these pins to Jim on Saturday ,should be a ton of fun .

https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/JFAFMASSY?authkey=Gv1sRgCKGmkO6FtPW-Iw

Jim

#30 12 years ago

Awesome work Jim!

Congrats JimJim66!

Only other mod you might think about are Joey's Mirror blades.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Thanks Dn ! These games Jim is going to get next Saturday are stunning. I think he will be happy .

Here is a clip of the AFM light show . https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/AfmPfMovie?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLw78q6p-agXA#5656495601486850978

Jim

Jim/JimJim:

Looks fantastic but I was also interested in seeing what lighting effects Joey has in this illuminated backboard mod of his (but all the 906 action washed it out--and Joey only has a MM video for all of his backboard mods; go figure).

Anyway, would sure like to see a vid of this if possible (and send it to Joey so he'll have one for his site, I think he'll give you a rebate on your purchase; at least that's what he told me).

#32 12 years ago

A humbling good job!! It's making me wish I'd have hung onto one of mine!! I think you did the right thing not chroming the door and hinges, it would have been too much... the way it looks now is just right!! You must be a very proud father!

Quoted from NM:

I saw some other 'blades' on an AFM with a city skyline graphic much like the backboard you've got, they did look the part... better than mirrors I think for this game...?

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Thanks man ! If you knew how much effort goes into making the inside sides of my cabinets look good , I could never cover them up with mirror blades .

Jim

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

If you knew how much effort goes into making the inside sides of my cabinets look good , I could never cover them up with mirror blades .

Good point!

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Thanks man ! If you knew how much effort goes into making the inside sides of my cabinets look good , I could never cover them up with mirror blades .

Jim

They are perfect! (And you do have to drive in at least one screw to install those things.)

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Looks fantastic but I was also interested in seeing what lighting effects Joey has in this illuminated backboard mod of his (but all the 906 action washed it out--and Joey only has a MM video for all of his backboard mods; go figure).
Anyway, would sure like to see a vid of this if possible (and send it to Joey so he'll have one for his site, I think he'll give you a rebate on your purchase; at least that's what he told me).

No problem about the video. I'll do it this weekend. I have a new phone and it will give me an excuse to try it out.

I'll send the video to Joey, I don't need anything in return, it's good karma just to help out.

I have the backboard mod on my MM, and it is awesome. One of the best mods I've personally seen, I highly recommend it. It thought it was a no brainer to do it to on my AFM, as I liked it so much on the MM.

To me a good mod is a mod that looks like it belongs on the pin in the first place.

#37 12 years ago

Great Thread Title, Nice Set

#38 12 years ago

Amazing work. Thanks for sharing.

#39 12 years ago

Didn't even know restores of that level were possible. Makes the junk I do with my Q-Tips and Novus look silly. Bravo to the brilliant Jim in Utah and to Jimjim66 for saving those machines!

#40 12 years ago

@honda350r I was checking out the great pics of the playfield assembly and noticed the wonderfully slick and simplistic playfield rotisserie that you are using. If you don't mind, could you share what you used for the bearing/bushing part that the playfield mounts to? it sort of looks like... an alternator housing. sorry, I'm probably way off target there! lol

Thanks,
Steve

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from ssathre:

@honda350r I was checking out the great pics of the playfield assembly and noticed the wonderfully slick and simplistic playfield rotisserie that you are using. If you don't mind, could you share what you used for the bearing/bushing part that the playfield mounts to? it sort of looks like... an alternator housing. sorry, I'm probably way off target there! lol

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, you are right on target! Those are early 70s alternator housings and rotor shafts . I have less than 30.00 into the rotisserie and have had more than 20 playfeilds on it including STTNG and three other wide bodies . I may have the only ball bearing rotisserie ,heh heh !

Here is a couple of short videos of the rotisserie .

https://picasaweb.google.com/honda350r/Rotisseriemovie?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzC8uSt7e_MtQE

I have been rebuilding alternators and starters for the last 27 years , so I used parts laying around my shop.

It really works good .

Jim

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Didn't even know restores of that level were possible. Makes the junk I do with my Q-Tips and Novus look silly. Bravo to the brilliant Jim in Utah and to Jimjim66 for saving those machines!

Thanks for the nice complement !

#43 12 years ago

Hey Jim - maybe weld a handle on that nut so you dont have to keep that wrench handy, just an idea - awesome work by the way!!!

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Steve, you are right on target! Those are early 70s alternator housings and rotor shafts . I have less than 30.00 into the rotisserie and have had more than 20 playfeilds on it including STTNG and three other wide bodies . I may have the only ball bearing rotisserie ,heh heh !

That's awesome, I wish I would have thought of that! now if I only had a spare alternator laying around... maybe the ol lady won't miss hers.

#45 12 years ago

So I had the chance to go down to St. George and check out these pins last night a Jim's. These machines are truly a work of art! It is amazing how immaculate they are when you actually get to see them in person. (jimjim, you are going to be blown away.) Jim [honda350r] is a great guy BTW. I had never even met him before yesterday and he was kind enough to show me around his shop/s and let me look at and play pins from his awesome collection. I had a great time.

#46 12 years ago

Jim is a great restorer. I have seen his work firsthand and the guy really knows his stuff. He was up here for a get together and I met him at a pinball party. Turns out he knew my grandma and some of my mom's side of the family.

I'd recommend him without reservation.

#47 12 years ago

WHOA! Just looked at the pix!...er, what is your address exactly?...and when are you going on vacation?.....

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

WHOA! Just looked at the pix!...er, what is your address exactly?...and when are you going on vacation?.....

No kidding , trust me I have reserves about sharing , but you guys are worth it .. I feel pretty safe in this crowd.

Jim

#49 12 years ago
Quoted from dnhayden:

So I had the chance to go down to St. George and check out these pins last night a Jim's. These machines are truly a work of art! It is amazing how immaculate they are when you actually get to see them in person. (jimjim, you are going to be blown away.) Jim [honda350r] is a great guy BTW. I had never even met him before yesterday and he was kind enough to show me around his shop/s and let me look at and play pins from his awesome collection. I had a great time.

Donovan ,

Thanks for coming down ! nothing better than sharing a pinball passion with another pinball guy ! I told Jim you played the games and He was glad you did ! Feel free to comment if you wish !

Quoted from jar155:

Jim is a great restorer. I have seen his work firsthand and the guy really knows his stuff. He was up here for a get together and I met him at a pinball party. Turns out he knew my grandma and some of my mom's side of the family.

I'd recommend him without reservation.

Thank Jeff ! Let me know if you need anything.

Jim

#50 12 years ago

What makes the pinbit version of the strobe light better? I could see buying it if the original was broken but is there a reason to replace a working one with the pinbits one?

Note: I'm not knocking pinbits -- the auto calibrating TOM trunk board is great but I only bought one when my original was shot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expecting-twins-next-week-afm-and-mb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.