Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago

I don't usually chime in on this topic, but I find myself reading Pinside tonight in a hotel room 2500 miles from my home, so what the hell...

Raising the price also eliminates younger or newer, and sometimes novice players, which as an organization really isn't something we want to do. It's a balance though, so some of that already happens and is unavoidable, and we try to compensate in other ways to interest those people affected by these decisions, such as videos, charity, or giveaways. If the scale slides in one direction, we always try to do something that benefits the other side as well. We don't always succeed, but we try.

The prize pool already is large enough to guarantee a level of prestige, both inside and outside of the pinball community. Two years ago, PAPA had the choice of raising the prize pool of our own tournaments but instead chose to add money to the pots of each Circuit event, hoping the larger numbers for those events around the country, primarily run by others, would help bring them additional publicity and more awareness to the game in general, rather than more awareness solely to us. You are correct the next goal money-wise is a round number though... something like $100k, or $1million with sponsorship, because those types of prize pools are easy to remember and advertise, but it has to be done in a way that doesn't discourage the newer, younger type of player (or something has to be created in another area to compensate for that loss if we do go that route of raising prices).

At any rate, we do think about these things, for anyone who wonders. Also, to the fellow who commented on greed, raising the price of the tournament just raises the amount of money we pay out to players. If we were trying to make money, we would raise the cap, lower the price to get more people through the door and profit on coin-drop and merchandise... but that type of thinking doesn't really serve the purpose of why the organization was built. PAPA isn't built as a traditional business, though it is occasionally forced to act like one to help preserve its survival.

Keep flipping.

#18 10 years ago

Oh, the whole reason I clicked on this topic... there are not currently plans to expand the field. Four hundred players is already very taxing for the facility's resources, and we currently feel raising that limit would lessen the quality too much for those who are attending. If we find a way to address the problems we have, we will do so, but trust me when I say it's not a simple matter of changing a number.

If I could make the field 1000 and maintain quality, I would do it in a heartbeat, but it's just not in the cards right now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expanded-field-for-pinburgh?tu=mhs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.