Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zaxxis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Wouldn't upset me in the least as all can register equally given the very advanced notice. Pinburgh isn't a championship of any kind so top players missing is a non-issue.

Todd, are you in Denver experiencing the new legal "delicacy"?

Its the match-play Championship!

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

You should look into how the very large poker tournaments are handled. They have different groups of 1,000 players compete on different days for 12 hours at a time and then, when the fields are small enough, they combine them on following play days to smaller groups that can fit into the same space... That is the only possible way to accomplish a larger field using the same size facility..

This is pretty much the only option left to expand the field. Getting more games ready and cramming more people into the building for two days is not really a viable solution.

It would be interesting if there could be three sessions, Mon/Tues, Wed/Thurs, Fri/Sat and finals on sunday with the top X playing from a merged result pool.

Pretty sure it would also drive Mark full speed into crazy town to do something this long

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyfive:

Yeah, but with pinball, you've got people flying in for one weekend and one weekend only. For WSOP, the money involved means people are able to stick around for much longer than you will ever get for a pinball tournament.

For many folks, but there are other people -- especially overseas folks -- that come for the week. To encourage mid-week play on Wed/Thurs, different price points or other rewards could be done.

What's great about this tourney exactly is that it's two guaranteed solid days of play (I haven't competed, just what friends tell me). If you double the field, and half play on friday and half play on saturday with finals on sunday, the tourney would be a shadow of it's former self.

I don't think snyper2099 was recommending cutting play and splitting the existing days between groups, rather sort of make it a week long event and have one group of people play Wed/Thur and another group play Fri/Sat, combine results and have the qualifiers come Sunday for finals. Still the same amount of play.

On paper it makes sense, but logistically I don't think it could happen without big money sponsorship.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zaxxis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expanded-field-for-pinburgh?tu=Zaxxis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.