(Topic ID: 282488)

Exhibit Supply Company - The club for ESCO owners!

By Napoleon

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 80 days ago by Gainey
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211102_145157 (resized).jpg
    AA453D87-F342-4149-83D3-8CD96581D059 (resized).jpeg
    dk1 (resized).jpg
    dk (resized).jpg
    2020-12-04 15.42.17 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4444 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4443 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4442 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4441 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4440 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4439 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4438 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4437 (resized).JPG
    5E5A5CAF-EC3D-4F80-9A07-71C5B2BEA021.jpeg
    CB51DFF1-D90A-4068-96D1-446BC8AE52FF.jpeg
    97D99C0B-74A6-4EBA-BF22-0CBD6A419ACD.jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone! I've decided to start up a club for owners of Exhibit Supply Company pinballs and other coin-op. I've recently purchased a 1948 Morocco from ESCO, and starting doing research about the company. There is not a lot of information on the web, which is surprising as ESCO was around long before the Gottlieb and Bally, and had quite a swath on coin-op machines going back to the turn of the century. I'm really fascinated and impressed by what this company put out over its nearly 80 years in existence, even if pinball only made up about 20 years of that.

Anyway, I hope to hear from some other ESCO owners and see pictures of what you've got! I think this could be a great place to trade information and tips about ESCO products as well.

#2 1 year ago

Here is my Morocco after a tempered glass replacement, 2 coats of Krylon Clear on the backside of the backglass, full LED replacement (for heat reasons, not trying to be flashy with an EM), and the woodrails and legs cleaned and 2 coats of Howard's Feed-N-Wax applied to them.

Game was in pretty good shape when I bought it. The playfield is damn near perfect, which is amazing for its age. Had a loud Hold/Lock relay I've disabled, some other minor fixes, but all in all a great find!

IMG_4364 (resized).JPG
    #3 1 year ago

Early 1939 trade show with Exhibit's newest games, "Request" and "Chief".

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #4 1 year ago

Have a 'New Contact' in the collection here which was the first pin with
    pop bumpers. Maybe more but will have to check titles.

#5 1 year ago

Im trying to finish an Esco Mystery 1947, and I have a question for those that own an esco close.
    My front door is missing, and I have a close replacement.
    The wiring is different, and inside the coin door are 3, I believe copper contacts, that complete the circuit with a door in place.

Can anyone share what is completed with the contacts?
    Lights? Credit? .....???

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Have a 'New Contact' in the collection here which was the first pin with
    pop bumpers. Maybe more but will have to check titles.

Yup, and my Morocco, which came out two months later, was only the 2nd game with flippers AND pop bumpers. Williams was first a month earlier with "Saratoga". That game used their "Thumper Bumper", which is kinda what we still use today.

In all fairness, Stoner used a single compression spring bumper as far back as 1938, but ESCO seemed to revive it 10 years later with "New Contact".

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3997

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im trying to finish an Esco Mystery 1947, and I have a question for those that own an esco close.
    My front door is missing, and I have a close replacement.
    The wiring is different, and inside the coin door are 3, I believe copper contacts, that complete the circuit with a door in place.
    Can anyone share what is completed with the contacts?
    Lights? Credit? .....???

Credit and starting the game.

Here are some pics. I have only two contacts on Morocco. There is switch that is normally closed. When you push in the coin mech, the switch opens while a metal tab on the slider mech (circled in the pic) pushes another sliding mech under the playfield which resets all the relays. When you pull the coin mech all the way back out again, the switch closes and the game is ready for play.
    IMG_4367 (resized).JPGIMG_4368 (resized).JPGIMG_4369 (resized).jpgIMG_4370 (resized).JPG

#8 1 year ago

buried somewhere, i have a beat 'duplex' [1940].
    i suppose the backglass could serve as a clock.

duplexbackglass (resized).jpg
    #9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Napoleon:

Credit and starting the game.
    Here are some pics. I have only two contacts on Morocco. There is switch that is normally closed. When you push in the coin mech, the switch opens while a metal tab on the slider mech (circled in the pic) pushes another sliding mech under the playfield which resets all the relays. When you pull the coin mech all the way back out again, the switch closes and the game is ready for play.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks! That helps alot!

#10 1 year ago

Besides the New Contact mentioned earlier also have a Tally Ho. But
    its missing the back box wood (have the guts) and BG. No doubt these
    became a wall hanger by a previous owner. So if anyone has these bits
    laying around I'd like to hear from ya!
    Steve

#11 1 year ago

I restored this 1949 rare silver bullets shooting gallery game. Re-coil on those .45 cal guns have quite a kick, these were never meant for kids. Although exhibit supply did come out with games for kids in the 50's.

100_4448 (resized).jpg100_4449 (resized).jpg100_4450 (resized).jpg100_4454 (resized).jpg100_4497 (resized).jpg
    #12 1 year ago

Just snatched this off of eBay. NOS! What are the odds I find this just a few weeks after getting an Exhibit game with these type of compression spring bumpers? This seems to be an upgraded, simplified model. Apparently you remove the bumper's relay after replacing. It must be adding an extra switch to do the job of the old relay. Now I just need 4 more of these, and I could potentially eliminate 5 relays from the game. And it's all stock Exhibit parts to boot!

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #13 1 year ago

That's what Exhibit would also call an "explosion bumper" in some of their trade ads. Why don't you scan those instructions and submit to the IPDB?

#14 1 year ago

I was wanting to start this club after I finished reassembling my morocco. I bought it "working" which was code for barely running with 100 ft of added wire inside the cab bypassing mechs.

#15 1 year ago

There's a link to an ESCO parts catalog on my website at:

https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/parts-catalog-list

/Mark

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

That's what Exhibit would also call an "explosion bumper" in some of their trade ads. Why don't you scan those instructions and submit to the IPDB?

I will once I get the package in. I also recently acquired the schematics for Morocco, and have scanned them into a PDF. I'm going to submit those schematics to IPDB today.

Quoted from digdug2084:

I was wanting to start this club after I finished reassembling my morocco. I bought it "working" which was code for barely running with 100 ft of added wire inside the cab bypassing mechs.

Do you still have your Morocco? Do you need the schematics?

Quoted from MarkG:

/Mark

Cool! Wish there was a year or two later edition which would cover the parts for Morocco. Still, an invaluable resource!

#17 1 year ago

In researching ESCO, I cam across this wonderful article. Its primary focus is ESCO's baseball card machine business, but there's lots of great history here.

https://oldbaseball.com/refs/Exhibit_Supply_Cards.pdf

The author follows ESCO to the last owner, Paul Marchant, who bought the company in 1979. By that time, they were a shell of their former selves, only printing out replacement baseball and fortune cards for the few places that still used ESCO machines. Paul was only 33 in 1979, and basically ran a 1980 series of Exhibit baseball cards, converted some old machines in inventory to accept quarters in order to sell them off, then essentially liquidated the company.

I contacted the author of the article, George Vrechek, and he was kind enough to pass along Paul's email address to me. I've written Paul to see what documents he may have acquired in the purchase. Paul told George he has a ton of documents that he never went all the way through. In a perfect world, he may have production run numbers of ESCO's pins, schematics, manuals, etc. This could be invaluable to the pinball community. I'll report what I find out from Paul.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

/Mark

If a later catalog could be found (say a couple of years later), it would have the flipper conversion kits listed in it.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Napoleon:

I contacted the author of the article, George Vrechek, and he was kind enough to pass along Paul's email address to me. I've written Paul to see what documents he may have acquired in the purchase. Paul told George he has a ton of documents that he never went all the way through. In a perfect world, he may have production run numbers of ESCO's pins, schematics, manuals, etc. This could be invaluable to the pinball community. I'll report what I find out from Paul.

Yes, we can only hope there is a treasure trove of documents like schematics, parts catalogs, manuals, etc that he might have.

#20 1 year ago

I was at a guys house the other day that owns a ESCO bumper pool table that he's had since the 1960's. I'm sure it's even older then that. I didn't get any pictures of it but probably could next time I'm there. Anybody have any info it?

John

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I was at a guys house the other day that owns a ESCO bumper pool table that he's had since the 1960's. I'm sure it's even older then that. I didn't get any pictures of it but probably could next time I'm there. Anybody have any info it?
    John

I'd love to see that!

#22 1 year ago

Here is a 1937 Broncho 1 ball payout game. Unrestored machine. Various markings (two pictured) suggest it is game number 101. It also has the rare ticket dispenser as well.

Yes, I know I need to submit pics to IPDB. I have a number of games that don’t have pictures on the database I need to photograph and submit. Here is some quick pics for the ‘club’.

5E5A5CAF-EC3D-4F80-9A07-71C5B2BEA021.jpeg788AC7E9-E69D-40BD-B5D5-4779CB14A142.jpeg7F92F6DA-C4FA-4408-AE98-33E3A7B98C45.jpeg97D99C0B-74A6-4EBA-BF22-0CBD6A419ACD.jpegBD8A8B71-3BB3-417F-BBCC-284CAB1C8A47.jpegC0871F13-0752-404B-B249-3A262349B501.jpegCB51DFF1-D90A-4068-96D1-446BC8AE52FF.jpegD0F8E950-BD11-428F-AD54-D8C42F57D490.jpeg
    #23 1 year ago

Morocco is now added to Pinside's database. Thanks, way2wyrd!!!!!

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Yes, we can only hope there is a treasure trove of documents like schematics, parts catalogs, manuals, etc that he might have.

PBR offers copies of many schematics for ESCO pinball machines. Send them an email to inquire.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I was at a guys house the other day that owns a ESCO bumper pool table that he's had since the 1960's. I'm sure it's even older then that.... Anybody have any info it?

There was a huge fad for bumper pool and various games played with pool cues in 1954-56. It's probably from around then.
    .................David Marston

1 week later
    #26 1 year ago

Today I heard back from Paul Marchant, the gentleman to purchased what was left of ESCO in 1979. I had introduced myself, showed a picture of my Morocco pin, and asked him some about whether or not there might be records and production numbers that he had access to. I'll paste his response email below. The Mr. Gore he speaks of was the owner of ESCO from the late 50's to the late 70's before selling the company to Paul.

"What a beautiful machine! I can easily see why you are so proud of it and wanted to share a picture with me. Even though I purchased the company in 1979 there are still records I have not gone through extensively but I have at least taken a cursory look at everything. From what I have seen I don't believe there are any production numbers for any of the machines they made. There are some printing quantities on cards but even those are very sketchy. Probably just what Mr. Gore was printing in the last few years to help him decide whether to print more of some items or just discontinue. Keep in mind that Exhibit downsized from a large multi-level building to a one story small building around 1960 and according to Mr. Gore took semi loads of old records, etc. to the dump. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Enjoy your machine and stay safe in these crazy times.
    Merry Christmas!
    Paul"

So, not really good news. Looks like this important information was destroyed about 60 years ago.

It seems ESCO never really survived Frank Meyer's death. It just limped along for decades.

#27 1 year ago

Finally got the Exhibit NOS spring bumper I posted about two weeks ago. Took our wonderfully incompetent Post Office two weeks to get it from Pennsylvania to Indiana, including it being lost for 6 days. The pics below are mine this time. I was guessing this part was from around '50 or '51, but it was 1949! I can't tell you how cool it is to have this in my hands. The box alone might be my favorite part! Notice the extra switch and bracket inside the envelope. This model "E" is an upgraded version that emlininates the relay and coil associated the old bumper. The new switch is added to the underside of the playfield, and wired to scoring directly. Not sure if I'll ever put this in my Morocco, but I love having it as a backup!

IMG_4438 (resized).JPGIMG_4439 (resized).JPGIMG_4437 (resized).JPGIMG_4440 (resized).JPGIMG_4441 (resized).JPGIMG_4442 (resized).JPGIMG_4443 (resized).JPGIMG_4444 (resized).JPG
    #28 1 year ago

I just picked up an Exhibit Golden Gate (1934). Just started restoration process, so this is my "Before" picture. I'll come back and post my "After" picture when it's done.

2020-12-04 15.42.17 (resized).jpg
    #29 1 year ago

I have a ESCO Drop Kick that I'm looking to sell for $650/bo. I would also consider trades up or down for other pinballs from the mid-60's to brand new, slot machines, other em arcade games, videos like Tempest or Crazy Climber. Feel free to shoot me offers. It looks to be complete but is not working currently. I generally prefer newer stuff so I'm letting this one go. Located in western Phila suburbs.

dk (resized).jpgdk1 (resized).jpg
    4 months later
    #30 8 months ago

Almost fully restored. Paid 75$ 1939 exhibit chief

AA453D87-F342-4149-83D3-8CD96581D059 (resized).jpeg
    #31 8 months ago

How do I join this club?

3 months later
    #32 4 months ago
    Quoted from Scottfitz:

How do I join this club?

$20.

#33 4 months ago

I have an esco Zip that I will be parting out. Contact me if you are looking for parts.

1 month later
    #34 3 months ago

Does anybody got a schematic of the 1939 Contact? I have one that does not score 100 points.

2 weeks later
    #35 80 days ago

Pinball Event with Exhibit Pinball Machines

Stockton House Museum in Flint, Michigan is going to be having an event called, 'Pinball of the Golden Era' on November 19th and 20th. There will be 20+ woodrail pinball machines made between 1947 to 1959 to play.

There will be at least 4 Exhibit machines at the event. They are: 1947 Mystery, 1947 Coed, 1948 New Contact, 1950 Judy and probably a 1949 Shantytown. All of the flipperless machines were converted to flippers.

It should be a lot of fun. Here's a link to the event: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/stockton-house-museum-35675441143

20211102_145157 (resized).jpg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside