Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04A5ED2D-7085-43DF-9D64-DF3882D8C753 (resized).jpeg
    Exhibit Supply coil list.pdf (PDF preview)
    DSCF2747.JPG
    DSCF2741.JPG
    Swanee new coin chute.jpg
    Swanee flipper shaft.JPG
    Swanee flip diameter.JPG
    Swanee shooter.JPG
    Swanee credit details.JPG
    Swanee credit window.JPG
    Swanee credit strip.JPG
    Swanee credit reel.JPG
    DSCF2566.JPG
    DSCF2565.JPG
    Swanee score motor and bracket.JPG
    Swanee cam side.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

A guy brought in a 1949 Exhibit Supply "Swanee" pinball to repair and restore. The backglass is badly flaked, but not cracked. The wood coin door is split and needs to be clamped and glued plus the ABT push chute has a cracked casting in two places.

These are some of the cabinet pictures as the machines arrived. Nothing has been done to it yet. Funny, but on the flaking backglass, the only part in perfect condition is the girl's tits!

Swanee cab.JPGSwanee cab.JPG Swanee backglass flaking.jpgSwanee backglass flaking.jpg Swanee front of cab.jpgSwanee front of cab.jpg Swanee coin slide relay.jpgSwanee coin slide relay.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

Here are some pictures of the playfield. The machine had sat with no glass on the playfield for over 30 years. I did vacuum it and it's in surprisingly excellent condition once all the dust and dirt were gone. The game uses four flippers. The two left ones are mechanically linked together as are the two right ones. So only two flipper assemblies are there to operate four flipper bats as was common in those days. There are no gobble holes, but it does have three conventional eject kickout holes just like a modern machine would have. Also present are two "explosion bumpers" (Exhibit Supply patent # 2501021A) which are similar to a pop bumper. I've got a glass for it now: 21-1/8" wide by 41" long.

Swanee playfield.JPGSwanee playfield.JPG
    Swanee 4 flippers.jpgSwanee 4 flippers.jpg
    Swanee right girl.jpgSwanee right girl.jpg
    Swanee eject.JPGSwanee eject.JPG
    Swanee explosion bumper.jpgSwanee explosion bumper.jpg

Swanee left girl.jpgSwanee left girl.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Some of the under the playfield mechanics:

Eject hole kicker.

Right flipper assembly (impulse flippers).

Score motor (uses a Multi-Products motor so Steve Young can repair it). It is mounted to the bottom of the playfield and uses four "levels" of cams very similar to a Gottlieb score motor.

Bonus unit. Much larger unit than you'd see on a Gottlieb or Williams machine.

Notice that some coils use a 2" long brass sleeve. It could easily be replaced with a modern nylon sleeve instead. Oh yeah, straight slot screws are used everywhere.

Swanee eject hole kicker.JPGSwanee eject hole kicker.JPG
    Swanee right flipper.JPGSwanee right flipper.JPG
    Swanee score motor.JPGSwanee score motor.JPG
    Swanee bonus unit.JPGSwanee bonus unit.JPG

#4 9 years ago

Inside the backbox is sure dusty from not having a back door on it for over 40 years. The large bell is 4" diameter and the small bell is 2.5" diameter.

Swanee backbox interior.JPGSwanee backbox interior.JPG
    Swanee backbox lube label.jpgSwanee backbox lube label.jpg

Swanee 4 inch bell.jpgSwanee 4 inch bell.jpg

Swanee 2.5 inch bell.jpgSwanee 2.5 inch bell.jpg
    #5 9 years ago

Very nice! What an odd flipper setup

--Jeff

#6 9 years ago

Yeh the flippers and eject holes use wireform linkages to mechanically connect everything. All of the metal parts in this machine are very tough and of high quality. This was when machines were built to last! I've got two of the eject kickout hole assemblies off the machine now getting ready to clean them up. I'll get some before and after pictures soon. One of the assemblies will need to have the coil bobbin glued back together as it's falling apart.

#7 9 years ago

Here are pictures of the eject hole kicker assembly. This group is before cleaning. By moving the linkage to a different hole, you can change the length of the kickout stroke. Be sure to grease that hole the linkage goes in to prevent wear of the linkage.

Swanee hole kicker.JPGSwanee hole kicker.JPG Swanee hole kick springs.JPGSwanee hole kick springs.JPG Swanee hole kick linkage.JPGSwanee hole kick linkage.JPG
    #8 9 years ago

The eject hole kickers use an Exhibit Supply coil # 2025 with a 2 inch long brass sleeve. If an original Exhibit Supply coil cannot be located, a Gottlieb coil # A-5194 along with a 2 inch long nylon sleeve will directly replace it. Here are pictures of the original coil and with a new wrapper (thanks Peter! ) installed on it.

Swanee 2025 end.JPGSwanee 2025 end.JPG
    Swanee 2025 side.JPGSwanee 2025 side.JPG
    Swanee 2025 wrapper.JPGSwanee 2025 wrapper.JPG

#9 9 years ago

Here are pictures of the eject hole kicker assembly all cleaned up. I used C-L-R to clean the plunger then used Brasso to polish it.

Swanee hole kick cleaned up.JPGSwanee hole kick cleaned up.JPG Swanee hole kick left side view.JPGSwanee hole kick left side view.JPG Swanee kicker finished.JPGSwanee kicker finished.JPG
    #10 9 years ago

I've got both the left and right eject hole kickers cleaned up and reinstalled on the playfield. Now I've started on cleaning up the flipper assemblies. The flipper shafts pass through the playfield via brass bushings that have been glued into the playfield. Here are some pictures of the bushing from on top the playfield and below. I've already swabbed out the old dried up gunk stuck to the walls of the bushings. The bushings are ready for the cleaned up shoe & shafts to be reinstalled.

Swanee right kick installed.JPGSwanee right kick installed.JPG Swanee flip bushings top.JPGSwanee flip bushings top.JPG Swanee flipper bushings.JPGSwanee flipper bushings.JPG
    #11 9 years ago

Wow! I've never seen a swanee! I bought a back box and glass at an auction awhile ago just to use as artwork. Interesting to see the whole machine! Coming along very nice!

#12 9 years ago

I had never seen any machines made by Exhibit Supply before. Now that I have started working on this machine, I'm impressed by the high quality of all the assemblies and the machine in general. I don't know why Exhibit Supply went out of business because their machines are certainly of great quality and could easily have competed with the "Big Three" pinball makers.

#13 9 years ago

I haven't read into exhibit that much to know why either. It looks like a great machine, the flipper placement for the other 2 flippers seems pretty cool. After looking at my glass, I guess it is pretty cracked up. Makes me want to find a whole pin around me though!

1419692678357.jpg1419692678357.jpg
    #14 9 years ago

BG Resto could use some high resolution pictures of that backglass so that they can fix the one I'm sending them. Yours is mint compared to what we've got.

#15 9 years ago

I have a good digital camera, I can't take the glass off the wall easily, but I can take a lot of pictures and send them to you if that would help you out. Shouldn't be too hard to do. Would you want prints or email? Either I can do, as long as I can play it once if I ever wind up in Washington! Haha

#16 9 years ago

Please email me and my buddy Steve some high res pix [email protected] and [email protected]

Thanks!

My mailbox is limited to 10mb file size max, but my friend Steve's is not limited.

#17 9 years ago

OK. I took a bunch of pictures, I just have to figure out how to transfer (new camera). If its over 10mb I'll split it into several emails. May not be until morning but I'll get them to you!

#18 9 years ago

Pictures have been emailed. If you need any more or if they aren't detailed enough let me know

#19 9 years ago

This sure is a colorful backglass. Your pictures show so much more color. Our backglass in addition to having so much flaked off, is very faded in all the colors.

#20 9 years ago

Ya, that's really why I bought it. The vibrant colors, and of course the girl! Good luck with the repro. If you need any more let me know. Post a picture when its done. It'd be interesting to see it

#21 9 years ago

I've started cleaning up and oiling the stepper units in the back box. I'm doing the 100,000 point step up unit right now.

#22 9 years ago

Pics of the 100,000 step-up unit. One straight slot screw at the very left of the unit must be removed to allow the entire unit to swing open for servicing. This is a very nice feature to have. The black 'plastic' is actually Bakelite! I used Brasso to clean the Bakelite and the brass contact rivets. Also printed out some new coil wrappers (thanks again to Peter).

DSCF2551.JPGDSCF2551.JPG DSCF2550.JPGDSCF2550.JPG DSCF2552.JPGDSCF2552.JPG DSCF2553.JPGDSCF2553.JPG DSCF2554.JPGDSCF2554.JPG DSCF2555.JPGDSCF2555.JPG
    #23 9 years ago

Lookin good!

#24 9 years ago

Well, since my Century Link internet has been down the past six days, I've had time to do some more work on the Swanee. Here are pictures of the score motor. The motor looks like a Multi-Products, but says Motoresearch Co on it.

Motor Specs:
    Volts: 30 VAC
    Spec # 115
    Shaft diameter: 3/16" round
    Shaft length to face of motor: 1.5"
    Shaft length overall: 3"
    Shaft rotation: CCW
    Speed: 26 RPM

In 2000, Multi-Products bought out MotoResearch Company. Both companies are in Racine, Wisconsin.

Swanee motor cams.JPGSwanee motor cams.JPG
    Swanee score motor cam.jpgSwanee score motor cam.jpg
    Swanee score motor cam top view.jpgSwanee score motor cam top view.jpg
    Swanee cam side.JPGSwanee cam side.JPG
    Swanee score motor and bracket.JPGSwanee score motor and bracket.JPG
    DSCF2565.JPGDSCF2565.JPG
    DSCF2566.JPGDSCF2566.JPG

#25 9 years ago

Here's the rebuilt Replay Unit (a.k.a. Credit Unit). This unit has a paper strip with the numbers printed on it. The strip had come unglued, so I glued it back on and in the correct spot. Overall, this unit reminds me a lot of a Williams credit unit except physically much bigger and beefier. There are two subtract coils used. The large subtract coil will instantly reset all credits to zero. The small red relay is used in conjunction with the regular subtract coil so that only one credit at a time gets subtracted.

Coils on this assembly:

Step up: # 1239

Subtract all: # 1-24

Subtract one at a time relay: # 528

After reinstalling and resoldering the Replay unit, it was time to finally get to plug in the power cord. The machine works and it plays! Yay!

Swanee credit reel.JPGSwanee credit reel.JPG
    Swanee credit strip.JPGSwanee credit strip.JPG
    Swanee credit window.JPGSwanee credit window.JPG
    Swanee credit details.JPGSwanee credit details.JPG

#26 9 years ago

Its all cleaning up great. What are you using for cleaning g the parts? And where did you find exhibit coils? Or are those the originals?

#27 9 years ago

For degreasing metal parts, I use mineral spirits. To shine up the metal, I wash the parts in C-L-R mixed in an 80/20 ratio (80 % water to 20 % C-L-R) and scrub with a brass bristled detail brush. Then wash everything off with Mean Green and warm water and dry it off.

Those are the original Exhibit Supply coils that were in the machine, but with new wrappers. Some coils were missing their wrappers completely. So I printed off some new ones courtesy of Peter and his coil wrapper site.

#28 9 years ago

What kind of paper are you printing your labels on?

#29 9 years ago

I found some great paper at Office Depot. It's made by NEENAH and it's the "Creative Collection" Bright 32 pound stock. This is on the label: Item number 98712 and it's barcode is 759598987124.
    It comes in a package of assorted colors: red, orange, green, and yellow. Those colors cover most of my needs, but I wish the package would also have had blue for some Williams coils.

Here is a link to the paper:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/356393/Neenah-Brights-FSC-Certified-Paper-8/

It's really much nicer paper than what my pictures show. You can get it online or my local store normally stocks it on their shelves. I bought it locally.

2 weeks later
    #30 9 years ago

After having extensive almost daily internet outages (Century Link) the past 3 weeks, I've got a few updates.

I've cleaned and polished the ball shooter rod. It's 7-1/8" long as shown in the picture I took. A Gottlieb # A-8833 is pretty darn close enough to this at 7" long and would probably work as a replacement.

I removed the flipper shoe and shaft assemblies from the playfield and cleaned them up. I also measured them to see if there are any Gottlieb replacements. I don't need any for this machine, but I thought I'd get measurements for those people who might need to locate something that would work in their Exhibit Supply machines. The smaller diameter of the shaft is 1/4" and the larger diameter is 3/8" as shown in the pictures.

The replacement used but in good condition Swanee backglass arrived yesterday in perfect condition along with a used backbox too. Don't have pictures yet, but I was surprised at how good of shape this used original backglass is. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 rating.

Swanee shooter.JPGSwanee shooter.JPG
    Swanee flip diameter.JPGSwanee flip diameter.JPG
    Swanee flipper shaft.JPGSwanee flipper shaft.JPG

2 months later
    #31 9 years ago

Update:

Machine is done and owner will be picking it up in a couple of days from now. I did convert it from the original "Impulse" flipper setup to conventional flipper coils and end of stroke switches. The game play is so much better and I'm glad I converted it.

We were able to purchase a brand new (NOS) nickle coin chute from Crow River to replace the badly worn and damaged original one. It is the ABT ACE 5 cent chute CS405:

http://www.crowriver.com/ps/coinslides2.htm

Swanee new coin chute.jpgSwanee new coin chute.jpg

#32 9 years ago

Looks pretty nice! Have pictures of the finished product?

#33 9 years ago

I will be taking pictures of the finished machine before the owner picks it up.

#34 9 years ago

Pictures of finished machine. Owner has picked it up today.

DSCF2741.JPGDSCF2741.JPG
    DSCF2747.JPGDSCF2747.JPG

#35 9 years ago

Turned out nice!

6 months later
    #36 8 years ago

I still have never been able to locate a schematic for this machine.

10 months later
    #37 7 years ago

Hi Ken - I found this older thread when doing research on a Swanee I recently acquired. I'll post some photos of my game later, but I just wanted to ask if you know if there are any good sources of parts for this game? I know already that I need one of the red "A" switch cover plastics and the plastic insert for one of the rollover button's. Also, I'm assuming you have still not located the schematic? Thanks.

#38 7 years ago

Right, I still was never able to locate a schematic.

What few small parts I did need, I got from a longtime local EM pinball collector's parts stash from parted machines.

3 months later
    #39 7 years ago

I finally got around to digging up the coil specifications list I made for Swanee. Converting the file from Xcel format to pdf caused the ohms column to scoot next to the coil sleeve column.

Exhibit Supply coil list.pdfExhibit Supply coil list.pdf

#40 7 years ago

Hi Ken;

Thanks for posting this. Great reference.

I was wondering if you based this chart from what you observed in your Swanee game or if you also had other references? The reason I ask is that the Swanee I have has different coils in the flippers. The number on them is 1223 and the one that has an intact wrapper is a blue/green. I will most likely take your recommendation and use the Gottlieb 1496 as a replacement, but was just curious what the original part was.

Thanks,
    Glenn

#41 7 years ago

That was the only Exhibit Supply machine I've ever encountered. I had double checked the two impulse flipper coils that were installed on the Swanee I restored. They both appeared original to me. For regular sized coils Exhibit Supply usually rubber stamped the coil number onto the coil stop end of the coil's fiber bobbin. So you generally need to remove the coil stop bracket to see what the coil number is. Don't forget that sometimes machine manufacturers change coil numbers or distributors stamp their own stock numbers on them (Wico was big on that back in the day).

Oh, by the way, when I made the list I accidently left off the prefix of that Gottlieb coil. It should read A-1496.

1 year later
    #42 6 years ago

Updating this thread.

Duncan Brown now has scans of the 1947 Exhibit Supply Company (a.k.a. "ESCO" as it's sometimes called) parts catalog.

Here's a link to it in pdf format:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbackglass.org%2Fwilliams%2Fkordek_archives%2F1947_Exhibit_Supply_Catalog_100.pdf&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEd51F7jSu76b-Qx7sZxoIz1I8vbQ

6 months later
    #43 5 years ago

Hello! Does anyone have any documents or parts that would be specific for the ECSO “Magic” pinball from 1948? Thanks!

04A5ED2D-7085-43DF-9D64-DF3882D8C753 (resized).jpeg04A5ED2D-7085-43DF-9D64-DF3882D8C753 (resized).jpeg
    #44 5 years ago

I'd say your best bet is to check that ESCO parts catalog link I posted above. Same thing for the coil listing I made above too. In some cases you can substitute Gottlieb coils if the original Exhibit coils aren't available. I believe Pinball Resource still has some Exhibit coils.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/exhibit-supply-1949-swanee-pinball-to-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.