Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FLIPPER_127.jpg
    FLIPPER_116.jpg
    FLIPPER_079.jpg
    FLIPPER_072.jpg
    FLIPPER_059.jpg
    FLIPPER_007.jpg
    7d36492bbcdc905b79a685b06ba0d891.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Left and center are two working, original lightning flippers. The one on the right was repro from a well-known supplier, and absolutely CRAP.

I think there's a bit of a myth with the middle rib being longer on better bats. The two on left have different length ribs, and did not fail.

Brian 7d36492bbcdc905b79a685b06ba0d891.jpg7d36492bbcdc905b79a685b06ba0d891.jpg

#2 11 years ago

No attachments?

#3 11 years ago

Workin on it. Sit tight.

#4 11 years ago

got left and right mixed?!

#5 11 years ago

Reload ... Don't ask me but when first added the pic displayed upside down.

#6 11 years ago

The only way to remedy these getting better is to post the place you bought them from as to warn others and maybe they'll produce some that are stronger.

#7 11 years ago

The retailer isn't likely making these, just selling them. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the topic can chime in. I don't want to slam a good retailer (and he's been very cool) before knowing the full story.

Brian

#8 11 years ago

Aren't repros of these illegal? They have the WMS logo and I'm pretty sure only Planetary Pinball has the rights to make or authorize sale of these.

#9 11 years ago

On RGP the reseller said he got a bad batch of them and was swapping them out one after another during a tournament. Not fun.

Looks like you got some of those bad ones...

#10 11 years ago

I have had problems with these and I think it is the plastic used to make them, it is too soft.

#11 11 years ago

Actually it just appears brittle. It shattered at the top. Both within a week of light play.

#12 11 years ago

I've been working on some billet aluminum flippers in different styles. Shown are a polished and a blacked out version. The shafts are threaded in and will be Loctighted with permanent red. Still waiting for some tooling I had to order to finish up the right side flipper which will be left hand threads so when the balls impacts it,a tightening action will result. The lightning style is in the works without the "W" logo. Haven't tested them yet,but I'll post the results later...

FLIPPER_007.jpgFLIPPER_007.jpg FLIPPER_059.jpgFLIPPER_059.jpg FLIPPER_072.jpgFLIPPER_072.jpg FLIPPER_079.jpgFLIPPER_079.jpg FLIPPER_116.jpgFLIPPER_116.jpg FLIPPER_127.jpgFLIPPER_127.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Damn, those are works of art!

Count me in for at least a set of each when done.

#14 11 years ago

Nice work Modman.

I wonder if the weight difference will make any difference in play?

#15 11 years ago

I'm thinking billeted aluminum is just as light as plastic, or darn close. Good point though.

#16 11 years ago

Oh man, those are so awesome. I'm in.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Modman:

I've been working on some billet aluminum flippers in different styles. Shown are a polished and a blacked out version. The shafts are threaded in and will be Loctighted with permanent red. Still waiting for some tooling I had to order to finish up the right side flipper which will be left hand threads so when the balls impacts it,a tightening action will result. The lightning style is in the works without the "W" logo. Haven't tested them yet,but I'll post the results later...

Very nice work. Those are beautiful!

#18 11 years ago

+1 for me. I'll have to come up with the money somewhere but that is awesome.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

I'm thinking billeted aluminum is just as light as plastic, or darn close. Good point though.

It will be interesting.

Aluminum is stiffer, so it may deliver more energy to the ball.

But because it is heavier, it may slow the flippers.

Somebody with the game Vector may have to test the speeds both ways and see what (if any) differences occur.

#20 11 years ago

those are pretty sweet lookin!!!

#21 11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! In trying to figure out the dimensions for these bats (measurements were taken from my Champion Pub's flippers) I noticed that the ball seems to contact more of the lower edge of the rubber than the center. I also checked the height on another pin and it too seems to contact the ball more towards the bottom of the band. It seems to me you'd want to hit it in the center of the rubber. There's no adjustment for this as the bat has to rest on the nylon tube coming up from the bottom of the play field. If any of you could check your machines the next time you have the glass off,it would be interesting to see the results if the people who designed these things intended it that way. I can move the bands groove down on the bat to correct this situation but then maybe the next guys pin it would be too low. What do you guys think? Are most pins set up this way?

#22 11 years ago

if the rubber is too high , it's going to jam the ball into the playfield. This is the problem with many MM's. Personally, I think williams got a bad batch of Flipper bushings with the MM run and they were 1/8 too high, because i've had to restore 10-15 MM's already and all of them had the angle wings wear in the playfield. And it wasn't caused from the flipper itself, it was the ball. Too high of flipper, means it's more like a pop bumper than a flipper. You want that rubber to hit dead center. Those flippers are tits. Those cannot be cheap to make.

#23 11 years ago

Yes,they're going to cost more than the plastic bats but when you think about it, your eyes constantly see more of that area of the play field than any other so might as well bling it up. I can set up the CNC machine to make quantities of these and justify making them. But 6061 aluminum is pricey and the little 1/8 cutters I use to do the pocketing snap in a heart beat so I have to make a little profit to pay the electric bill. So I'm thinking around $25 bucks each would be a reasonable price for a custom made part.

#24 11 years ago

Modman,

I can tell you just from replacing rubbers that the wear is frequently, if not always at the bottom third of the rubber. It's most notable at the tips of well-worn flipper rubbers where it starts to split.

Definitely a good point from an engineering perspective.

This is a stretch but I wonder if this was deliberate, to limit air balls. A slight calibration done to drive the ball ever so slightly downward.

Brian

#25 11 years ago

While we are talking flippers, am I the only person on the planet who gets irritated that a ton of reproduction William's flippers are about 2mm bigger than the older versions? I just bought black Williams that must be older stock ( not NOS ) and they are 2mm shorter than others I bought. Surely 4mm difference in the centre gap will make a difference to gameplay?

Anyway, maybe this is just my obsession

#26 11 years ago

$25 a piece. Seems reasonable for what they are. Would look killer on T2, T3, and DM.

#27 11 years ago

I'll try a set. The look great.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Modman:

Those look nice, the 3rd one down would look great on AFM they look like the saucers.
    I will take a set of those if you make them.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

$25 a piece. Seems reasonable for what they are. Would look killer on T2, T3, and DM.

They sure would be. They are awesome!!

Good work that man!

Dave.

#30 11 years ago

I would likely buy a set or 2 at a price point of $25.

You should start up a preorder thread to get a better idea of quantity and maybe gie a price break if pinsiders preorder a certain total number

looks like a very cool custom mod.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/exhibit-a-crappy-lightning-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.