7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mrgone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

TL;DR; How to clean and repair high humidity corrosion and mold/mildew?

Last fall I prepared some games for shipping for a client. The games were strapped and wrapped with the assumption the would be picked up within a couple weeks. There are 1 SYS 11 and 3 DMD games.

I get a call yesterday that they had been left in the gameroom over the winter and there was a severe leak. Various molds on the walls and stuff growing on the outside of the cabinets. No swelling wood but clear moisture exposure. The visible metal posts and assemblies range from white dust to out right rust(coil stop bolts).

He'd like to know what effort is needed to get them playable again.

My first thought is: I can turn them on until they've been wiped down externally (bleach (not on decals) or ammonia), setup and the boards inspected for corrosion.

The legs, bolts and levelers get an evaporust bath.

Assuming the boards are acceptable now should they be cleaned in any way, dried out?

Once the boards have been verified I can unplug the playfield harness and see if the game boots.

Then pull the playfield and clean the inside of the cabinet. Again bleach or ammonia.

Playfield: all rusted mechs get removed, quick dip in ultrasonic to clean (or evaporust), parts in tumbler to remove corrosion and time on the buffer to polish. Coil wrappers may need to be replaced.

Most screws and lock nuts will just be replaced.

All lamp sockets get a spray with bleach, air dry and then into the tumbler (bulbs go in too).

Plastics get a glass cleaner wipe.

Rubbers get replaced?

Top side playfield mechs, ramps and toys get cleaned by whatever appropriate means.

Finally the playfield itself gets a wipe down (with what?) and reassembled.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks

#3 7 years ago

4 games. It's bad enough that the shooter rods have extra resistance to them.

I am undecided if I want to get involved.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/excessive-humidity-repair-how-to?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.