Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by FirebrandX
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pbfull.JPG
    IMG_5989.jpg
    20140323_211532-2.jpg
    chrome2012031516412371.png
    16020.jpg
    image-800.jpg
    image-168.jpg
    5.jpg
    53914.jpg
    1608.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I've seen multiple comments about people disliking machines that use LEDs like Skittles. Meaning, some use multiple different colors in most areas that aren't necessary. But with that said, I've never actually seen a picture of a pin that has this issue.

Post your pictures!

#2 9 years ago

i put some colored leds under the clear inserts of my MM just to see the purty colors. I didn't realize that was an issue.

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, show us pics of your tastelessly done machines.

#4 9 years ago

there's this one that was posted here way back

1608.jpg1608.jpg

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

1608.jpg 35 KB

This one is not that bad, as PinBot does have a red side and a blue side. The skittles look is when there are way more different coloured LEDs installed. The 'taste the rainbow' effect.

#6 9 years ago

its not the worst by far, but using blue/red leds completely wastes the color on the plastics.

#7 9 years ago

You mean like this? (unfortunately, it's not mine):

53914.jpg53914.jpg

#8 9 years ago

That would be mine. And despite what some like to believe with the skittles theory, this LED job is the one I get the most compliments for out of my collection.

I will agree that I hate when people generally wash all the artwork out of the plastics. And I generally dont do that. But I am a firm believer in illuminating under ramp GI to come color and adding some diversity to the game.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

You mean like this? (unfortunately, it's not mine):

53914.jpg 268 KB

Totally skittles there. All the colors are gone and washed to a bright single glow of a color.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

1608.jpg 35 KB

thats not skittles, its a box of cherry and grape nerds

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Totally skittles there. All the colors are gone and washed to a bright single glow of a color.

Thats not true at all. The only color under a plastic is the slings in green. All the rest are cool whites. All the other colring us under clear ramps, and lane guides up top in the pop area.

#12 9 years ago

Avengers LE is a box of skittles. I heard someone toned the colors down to something less xmas-y, but I haven't seen photos of it.

#13 9 years ago

Skittles to me is not just a quantity or a variety of color, because, like on a funhouse, and look great in person,
    it is also poor color and bulb choice....along with an overbearing usage....I have seen a few, but I have not saved any pics.....when/if someone posts a pic...we will all, or most all agree...The WCS pictured may not be everyones taste, and thats jaded by a photo on automatic, etc....But to me, that probably looks outstanding in person.

#14 9 years ago

Yummmm, I like me some Skittlies

Thats whats nice about them, if you don't like them it is easy for you to change them if you buy the game. No harm done.

#15 9 years ago

is that considered clown puke the skittles theory?

#16 9 years ago

Interesting topic. There's definitely a line between tastefully done and overdone, but it matters not if you're keeping it. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Found this one online (not my style). Taste the rainbow?

5.jpg5.jpg

#17 9 years ago

It really comes down to this, It is your pin do what you want to it. Colored lights are easily changed, no real biggy.

#18 9 years ago

I call my NGG 'Gofers of OZ' because I rainbow colored it, but I don't think this is what you all are referring to. All the GI is white, I just colored the inserts. And it is gorgeous in person, if I do say so myself.

[Hey Art- You should see this thing during Multiball while playing in the pitch dark, after my upgrade this past week. All 7 flashers up top and the 4 flashers under the plexi have your 8-SMD flasher bulbs in them, color matched red/white/blue, and the spots have the 5-SMD insane brights. I am going to put a health warning on it soon and make people sign a waiver to play. ]

image-168.jpgimage-168.jpg
    image-800.jpgimage-800.jpg

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I call my NGG 'Gofers of OZ' because I rainbow colored it, but I don't think this is what you all are referring to. All the GI is white, I just colored the inserts. And it is gorgeous in person, if I do say so myself.

This kind of thing I dig. White inserts are boring unless used sparingly.

Completely not a fan of colored GI except in very rare cases where it doesn't kill the original artwork.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

This kind of thing I dig. White inserts are boring unless used sparingly.
    Completely not a fan of colored GI except in very rare cases where it doesn't kill the original artwork.

Pretty much my thoughts.

#21 9 years ago

This one's pretty Skittles looking:
    16020.jpg16020.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Isn't this the NeoGeo rap guy?
    chrome2012031516412371.pngchrome2012031516412371.png

#22 9 years ago

Just yesterday I was telling PBL Terry that I couldn't believe I'd never seen a re-themed Flash, considering its horrible artwork. Skittles are in improvement in this case.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

[Hey Art- You should see this thing during Multiball while playing in the pitch dark, after my upgrade this past week. All 7 flashers up top and the 4 flashers under the plexi have your 8-SMD flasher bulbs in them, color matched red/white/blue, and the spots have the 5-SMD insane brights. I am going to put a health warning on it soon and make people sign a waiver to play. ]

Looks Good! Do you have a video to share?

I think the Simpsons is a bit over the top....skittles it is.

#24 9 years ago

I like to skittle my flashers, but I'm not a fan of colored GI lights in most cases.

Edit: An example of some colored GI bulbs I do like would be the top Pin-Bot picture

#25 9 years ago

I love LEDing out machines but not a fan of color in the GI other than in lane guides or spot lights. The color LEDs in the GI washes out the artwork. Backbox color matching I like to keep to a minimum for the same reasons.

#26 9 years ago

I like the skittles look in pins when done right.....

#27 9 years ago

Skittled...with a bag of all blue candy

20140323_211532-2.jpg20140323_211532-2.jpg

#28 9 years ago

Please note, all my thumbs up are indicative of a post matching the topic; not that I actually like the gaudy LEDing occurring. I like LEDs but not like these, much more tastefully done is a happy medium.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

1608.jpg 35 KB

Thumbs down both for misunderstanding the concept, and also because it doesn't even look like they used RED on the right side, just warm white. You mean they put blue leds under mainly blue plastics?! OMFG.

For comparison, the Pinbot I had... warm white and cool whites..

IMG_5989.jpgIMG_5989.jpg
    #30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Thumbs down both for misunderstanding the concept, and also because it doesn't even look like they used RED on the right side, just warm white. You mean they put blue leds under mainly blue plastics?! OMFG.
    For comparison, the Pinbot I had... warm white and cool whites..

IMG_5989.jpg 78 KB

i completely get the concept, it just looks like ass. I know its not just the pic too because for the hell of it I did it to mine just to see how it would look, it looked like ass too.

#31 9 years ago

I did mine that way the first time I saw one like that. Everyone loves it. I have since added matching red and blue LED flipper buttons, and if I could afford it - I'd also have the half red/half blue scoring displays. So yeah, I guess it is a bag of only blue and red Skittles.

pbfull.JPGpbfull.JPG

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I did mine that way the first time I saw one like that. Everyone loves it. I have since added matching red and blue LED flipper buttons, and if I could afford it - I'd also have the half red/half blue scoring displays. So yeah, I guess it is a bag of only blue and red Skittles.

I actually like this 50/50 take on Pin-Bot (one side blue, the other red). I think it looks pretty cool.

#33 9 years ago

You could further it by powdercoating the legs blue on left, red on right

But that's not LED talk...

I red/blued my Jackbot and it looks great.

#34 9 years ago

I think colored LEDS should match the theme of the game and are much more effective if done in smaller quantities as opposed to all over the playfield. Waterworld for example would look ok with a few blue and green LEDS in the GI. If someone put in red or orange it would look out of place. BSD looks horrible in my opinion with incandescent bulbs. That game needs some blue and red with a touch of purple. But I would not put those colors in every GI socket. The colored GI lights can't stand out if there is nothing to stand out against.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

That would be mine. And despite what some like to believe with the skittles theory, this LED job is the one I get the most compliments for out of my collection.
    I will agree that I hate when people generally wash all the artwork out of the plastics. And I generally dont do that. But I am a firm believer in illuminating under ramp GI to come color and adding some diversity to the game.

It is your game and if you, your family and your friends enjoy it, thats all that matters. Thats whats nice about modding. It can be done to our own individual tastes.

#36 9 years ago

Games that I think benefit from Skittles:

- Indy 500
    - The Party Zone
    - Cirqus Voltaire
    - Rocky & Bullwinkle
    - Theatre of Magic
    - Creature from the Black Lagoon
    - The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot
    - Rollergames

Games that I think benefit from select colors:
    - Demolition Man (lots of blue and yellow)
    - Bram Stoker's Dracula (blue, purple, orange)
    - Terminator 3 (red galore)
    - NASCAR (red, orange, yellow)
    - Black Rose (yellow, blue)

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Just yesterday I was telling PBL Terry that I couldn't believe I'd never seen a re-themed Flash, considering its horrible artwork. Skittles are in improvement in this case.

Agreed; Flash seems like a clear candidate for a new playfield and artwook plastics, possibly with software upgrades (beagle board or whatever in the brains...).

Lots of the out there, and not a bad playing game by any means. Just the art seems sub-par compared to many other classics of the era. Any of the hand-drawn games that make Stern's photoshopped stuff look good is I think by definition awful. And a lot of them are worn so it would not be junking great condition games for the most part.

#38 9 years ago

Clown puking is another way of putting it.

#39 9 years ago

The biggest problem with red/blue on pinbot id all your GI is only putting out just 2 very narrow spectrums of light. Every other color on the PF/plastics gets screwed up. The whites are red or blue. the red and blues are redder and bluer because the are no other parts of the spectrum to make the other colors show up and provide contrast. The only place I have none white GI on any of mine is WH20. and thats just the 2 or 3 behind the river targets. It just illiminates that area. it does not mess up other colors in the area. There are also blues in the whirlpool but thats not GI its exposed feature lights.

#40 9 years ago

I'm really thinking of skittling up my Addams.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

The biggest problem with red/blue on pinbot id all your GI is only putting out just 2 very narrow spectrums of light. Every other color on the PF/plastics gets screwed up. The whites are red or blue. the red and blues are redder and bluer because the are no other parts of the spectrum to make the other colors show up and provide contrast. The only place I have none white GI on any of mine is WH20. and thats just the 2 or 3 behind the river targets. It just illiminates that area. it does not mess up other colors in the area. There are also blues in the whirlpool but thats not GI its exposed feature lights.

I get what you are saying. In the case of my Maverick - which is a "photo" style translite - it deserved only warm white LEDs to bring out all the natural colors in the translite. The thing is, as far as Pinbot is concerned, I never really even noticed that there was a red and blue 'side' so to speak - until I saw one accented this way at the Ohio show. I don't even have LEDs in the playfield lamps because Pinbots field is so dark that incandescents look good, and there is some faceting on the insert lenses that I am fearing get blown away by LEDs. But Pinbot called me, beckoned me to bring his blue and red sides to life. People are not saying "wow" because the not-so-important other colors are showing up in the platics with white LEDs installed..they are saying "wow" because they also notice that there is that "red and blue side thing" going on with Pinbot with the highly accented colors.

IMO some games deserve the enhancement with colorizing the light. In some cases they don't. I tried LEDs in my old Ballys and really did not like them except for warm white retro or frosted - and even then the characteristic warm glow of incan really gets lost. At that point, you are just LEDing the game for the sake of low heat/low current and to get a little more light into the game. If a colored area in a game begs to be accented, a color LED will allow you a great way of drawing attention in that area.

So, as far as this topic goes...Skittling in not necessarily a bad thing. And ultimately - it's your game, so do what you will.

#43 9 years ago

I would call random colors all over Skittles. I would call some of these Zone LEDing where banks of a certain color are used in different places. Those are the ones I don't care for. I prefer when LED's are used to brighten or enhance what is already there.

#44 9 years ago

I did a little skittling with my R&B machine. I mostly went with cool white frosted for the GI, except for the upper and lower lane guides where I used Blue frosteds. I also put pink frosteds underneath the Nell table.

For the inserts, I changed the railroad lights to purple, the hat trick lights to red-green-blue, and the left outlane to yellow-orange-red-green instead of white-white-white-green.

Lastly, I changed the ramp lights from the original red to green as it made more sense to me.

There's a video showing some of the work I did here, though the camera makes the LEDs appear to flicker, and doesn't show their actual color very well:

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/examples-of-skittle-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.