(Topic ID: 261417)

Exactly how large is the Pinball Community?

By IndianaPwns

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AF026112-9521-404C-BCFE-4AAE0858328E (resized).jpeg
    dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif
    B0128F33-6AE5-4486-BB57-293EB5AD5509 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Titles says it all. Exactly how large is the Pinball Community? How do we even define it?

I'm looking for any "Pinball Statistics" (i.e. # of Barcade openings. Machines produced a year. Size ($$$) of the industry...etc.)

Help a friendly pinhead out

#2 4 years ago

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

You forgot to carry the 1.

#4 4 years ago

It seems like it is getting larger and larger everyday.

#5 4 years ago

At least 100...

#6 4 years ago

This depends on what part. I think there’s probably 20,000 active competitive players based on IFPA numbers. Some subset of those are also collectors.

If you figure 50% of collectors are on pinside that’s a decent way to estimate how many collectors there are.

And there’s overlap between the two.

If you are a marketer you might think of total addressable market. My wild ass guess is 50,000 people who are actively buying/selling/playing on a consistent basis and maybe 100,000 who would buy or own pinball machines

#7 4 years ago

Depends on your definition of "community"!

I take "community" to mean anyone who actively seeks opportunities to play on a regular basis and would self-identify as an "enthusiast". (There are probably hundreds of thousands of folks who "like" pinball and would drop quarters upon seeing a machine somewhere, but would never entertain the notion of owning one themselves or of going out of their way to find them on location to play, but I wouldn't count them for the purposes of this thread.)

I think I remember recently hearing a podcaster mention having about 2000 regular listeners, and I'd guess that amounts to perhaps 10% of the "community" at best, so somewhere around 15-20k wouldn't seem too far off.

Could be absolutely dead wrong though!

(It's hard to extrapolate an estimate based upon Pinside participation, because my anecdotal experience is that there are a lot of pinball folks out there who do not post or lurk here at all.)

#8 4 years ago

Pinside is the largest “community” for pinball with over 64000 members.

Pinball enthusiasts could be double that number.

Pinball players could be 10 times that number.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from IndianaPwns:

Titles says it all. Exactly how large is the Pinball Community? How do we even define it?
    I'm looking for any "Pinball Statistics" (i.e. # of Barcade openings. Machines produced a year. Size ($$$) of the industry...etc.)
    Help a friendly pinhead out

You will probably need to be a bit more specific with your question to arrive at any sort of solid answer.

Are you looking for the total number of people interested and/or involved with pinball? Casual players, show attendees, show participants, game owners, operators, establishment owners, tournament players, distributors, industry professionals, online community participants, etc?

How much money is generated by pinball per year? And is that retail earnings, coin-op earnings, person-to-person sales, show/event revenue, etc?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Pinside is the largest “community” for pinball with over 64000 members.

B0128F33-6AE5-4486-BB57-293EB5AD5509 (resized).jpegB0128F33-6AE5-4486-BB57-293EB5AD5509 (resized).jpeg
    #11 4 years ago

I do pinball repairs for people, that have machines in their homes, that have never played in a competitive pinball tournament nor have they ever heard of Pinside.

#12 4 years ago

It is going to be hard to nail down a number "exactly" for such a nebulously defined term as "member of the pinball community."

Perhaps you didn't exactly mean "exactly"? "Just how large" works better.

#14 4 years ago

10k by Christmas.

#15 4 years ago

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gifdozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

#16 4 years ago

I don't know about the world, but in my city there's about 10. And they all complain about having to pay $0.75 to play some pinball. "Back in my day it was a DIME!"

#17 4 years ago

We do exist Somewhere, in our own galaxy...

AF026112-9521-404C-BCFE-4AAE0858328E (resized).jpegAF026112-9521-404C-BCFE-4AAE0858328E (resized).jpeg
    #18 4 years ago

On an individual basis, definitely above the median.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/exactly-how-large-is-the-pinball-community and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.