Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

I work IT and trust me, Windows 10 is a piece of work. I'll help you though. You'll want to share the printer over the network. Try this guide. It will work for Windows 7 and 10. But for Windows 7 you need to go to the Devices and Printers window.

https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/share-and-connect-printer-over-network.html

For file sharing, the steps are pretty much the same. After sharing a folder just navigate to \\hostname\\sharename to access it or map it as a network drive on your Windows 10 PC. You can also get to the root of the C drive by typing \\hostname\\C$ to use the default admin share on the PC.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

As with what I tried before, I keep getting this screen wanting my "network credentials" (username/password) to access the other PCs on the network. I have no idea how to set, get or make those. Homegroup never had a problem. All the PCs are set to share to the network so I cannot see what the problem is. I am logged into the network.
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm not slow, just trying doing a little here and there while making up harnesses. I appreciate your patience.

This is normal. You will need to enter the login credentials for an admin user account of the target PC you are trying to access. This prevents anyone on the network from accessing shared folders on the target PC without knowing the admin account's user name and password. It's the same password you type when logging in to the target PC after booting it up.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The easiest way to solve this is connect the printer directly to the router instead of another PC.
    If your router doesn't have a print server built-in one similar to this will probably work: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704067

The printer is from 1999 and because of that is not network capable. It probably uses an LPT port.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Then use a print server with an LPT port.

That's not very practical in this case now that we know it's USB. My post was making an assumption until we knew for sure.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Crap. OK, I got it. Just took awhile to sink in. I went to user accounts on the old computers and created an admin password and now I can access them and the printer. And the wife will scream because she'll have to enter a password when she boots in the morning. Wah.

You can configure the other PCs to log in automatically but you probably need to get into the registry. Either that or enable the administrator account you can use to authenticate to the PCs with, and keep the normal user account for your wife to use without a password.

#18 5 years ago

Sure thing! To explain, when you install Windows there is a factory default administrator account that is disabled. This is present at all times so you cannot get locked out of the machine. It's disabled by default, so you normally never see it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ex-computer-nerd-needs-win10-help?tu=Crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.