2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

So for an early Christmas present I got myself a shiny new Dell. I know, I know, and I used to build my own. Right up to this one. Sadly it is now cheaper to buy a pre-built so I gave in. So far the computer is just great, but Win10 has me pulling my hair out.

All of my other computers in the house are Win7. I have them linked with Windows "homegroup." The printer (an HP from 1999 that still works great, yes I am a cheap bastard) is physically connected to another computer in the house. I could print from anywhere through the homegroup link. Now, I can't do squat. The new Dell sees the other computers but won't or can't talk to them. (It also sees my phone and TVs with its own Bluetooth. Yikes.) I need an easy way to resolve this so I can quickly transfer files from the old to the new and be able to print from the new. I know what the easy solution is for the printer (buy a new one with WiFi capability) but I still need it to talk with the other PCs in the house. I've read a few articles about the loss of homegroup in Win10 on the MS site but none of it seems to be of much help. All helpful advice considered and thanks in advance!

Shawn

#3 2 years ago

Somewhat helpful... Like most of the help I have researched it assumes all of the computers went to 10 or that the printer I want to share is on the computer with ten or that the files I want to share are going from the 10 computer to the 7 computer, not the other way around. The 7 computers don't have "onedrive" so in the end I may just have to move it all by DVD or email which is ridiculous.

#4 2 years ago

I work IT and trust me, Windows 10 is a piece of work. I'll help you though. You'll want to share the printer over the network. Try this guide. It will work for Windows 7 and 10. But for Windows 7 you need to go to the Devices and Printers window.

https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/share-and-connect-printer-over-network.html

For file sharing, the steps are pretty much the same. After sharing a folder just navigate to \\hostname\\sharename to access it or map it as a network drive on your Windows 10 PC. You can also get to the root of the C drive by typing \\hostname\\C$ to use the default admin share on the PC.

#5 2 years ago

Sharing still works; our main media server is on 7 and every other machine is on 10. You’ll need to set up standard file/print sharing then. Homegroup is a security nightmare anyway.

The main thing that makes it easiest is setting up the same username and password on both machines; they log in locally and you don’t even have to enter your credentials

#6 2 years ago

As with what I tried before, I keep getting this screen wanting my "network credentials" (username/password) to access the other PCs on the network. I have no idea how to set, get or make those. Homegroup never had a problem. All the PCs are set to share to the network so I cannot see what the problem is. I am logged into the network.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm not slow, just trying doing a little here and there while making up harnesses. I appreciate your patience.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The main thing that makes it easiest is setting up the same username and password on both machines; they log in locally and you don’t even have to enter your credentials

This may be what I am looking for. Where do I do this?

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

The printer (an HP from 1999 that still works great, yes I am a cheap bastard) is physically connected to another computer in the house.

The easiest way to solve this is connect the printer directly to the router instead of another PC.
    If your router doesn't have a print server built-in one similar to this will probably work: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704067

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

As with what I tried before, I keep getting this screen wanting my "network credentials" (username/password) to access the other PCs on the network. I have no idea how to set, get or make those. Homegroup never had a problem. All the PCs are set to share to the network so I cannot see what the problem is. I am logged into the network.
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm not slow, just trying doing a little here and there while making up harnesses. I appreciate your patience.

This is normal. You will need to enter the login credentials for an admin user account of the target PC you are trying to access. This prevents anyone on the network from accessing shared folders on the target PC without knowing the admin account's user name and password. It's the same password you type when logging in to the target PC after booting it up.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The easiest way to solve this is connect the printer directly to the router instead of another PC.
    If your router doesn't have a print server built-in one similar to this will probably work: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704067

The printer is from 1999 and because of that is not network capable. It probably uses an LPT port.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

You will need to enter the login credentials for an admin user account of the target PC you are trying to access.

Right. So when I built these years ago I configured them to just boot with no password required. No login, wide open.

Quoted from Crash:

The printer is from 1999 and because of that is not network capable. It probably uses an LPT port.

It uses USB and there is a USB port on the router and is something I'd considered in the past. Problem is it's in another room and I am as lazy as I am cheap. The cable modem needs power/phone/cable all at once and the den is the only room that has all three near each other.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Then use a print server with an LPT port.

#12 2 years ago

Crap. OK, I got it. Just took awhile to sink in. I went to user accounts on the old computers and created an admin password and now I can access them and the printer. And the wife will scream because she'll have to enter a password when she boots in the morning. Wah.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Crap. OK, I got it. Just took awhile to sink in. I went to user accounts on the old computers and created an admin password and now I can access them and the printer. And the wife will scream because she'll have to enter a password when she boots in the morning. Wah.

You can still easily have a password set, but not require it to be entered when logging in

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Then use a print server with an LPT port.

That's not very practical in this case now that we know it's USB. My post was making an assumption until we knew for sure.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

You can configure the other PCs to log in automatically but you probably need to get into the registry. Either that or enable the administrator account you can use to authenticate to the PCs with, and keep the normal user account for your wife to use without a password.

#15 2 years ago

The wife IS the administrator. Just the way I set them up.

#17 2 years ago

Awesome. Got it. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, when I loaded Windows on the original setup I set the main user as the admin and then entered no password. That way windows just always comes on, no password required. But you have to have one to access it from another computer. Once I remembered there was no admin password I tried it and it said there can be no blank passwords for this. Anyways, problem resolved. Thanks again. And yes, that HP 990c from 1999 still prints beautiful pictures and zips out two sided text pages pretty quickly. And HP still makes the big ink refills for it so I don't have to change them out but once in a blue moon. I will use that thing until it croaks!

Shawn

#18 2 years ago

Sure thing! To explain, when you install Windows there is a factory default administrator account that is disabled. This is present at all times so you cannot get locked out of the machine. It's disabled by default, so you normally never see it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 137.00
    $ 159.00
    $ 6,499.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 104.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 15.95
    $ 55.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 3.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 6,295.00
    Pinball Machine
    Maine Home Recreation
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside