6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by phil-lee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

At first, you will take a good project machine (to learn) but either luck up or buy a bomb.
    Then you notice things you do like,and don't. Standard flipper arrangement, no spread, split or unnecessary extras.
    You quickly figure out if the bells or chimes need help, especially the bells (they may need dampening).
    So you shop for another,as well as Research here and everywhere else. Strong opinions about Back Glass art begin to sway you,
    "Vulgar, Satanic, Too Quaint, Not related to the Play/Theme, Offensive racial themes, depictions of smoking or prostitution, stereotypical caricatures, you name it.
    So you ask yourself, "Can I tolerate seeing this lit up" The desirable Themes are unobtainable/ not for sale.
    You move on to Play Field features, quickly realizing drop targets, free ball gates and return kickers are a good thing.
    So the machines with the great art and lacking these features are out of the equation. Then you experience an EM Spinner and realize a machine with a combination of these features would be the ultimate.
    So your quest seeks the Best and learns to ignore the rest on Craigslist and other sales sources.
    You find that others have figured all of this out Millenia before you and have all the good machines and even the bad ones(for parts)
    A new appreciation for the Machines you have sets in, the Watchful Eye still occasionally perusing the Craigslist and Classified offerings.
    You re-paint the Cabinet to your second machine.....To be continued

#2 6 years ago

At first I wanted a Klondike, Fireball, and EM Joker Poker as those were some of the most memorable games I played on location. Got em all and more.

Then I got a couple project games and realized it was easy to fix them.

I bought Big Daddy and realized two inch flippers and bells were where it was at.

Long flipper games on the way out...

After that as many short flipper games with good artwork and interesting features and layouts I could find came my way.

Kept a few and got rid of a bunch as they were not as good.

Multiplayers with short flippers, especially Williams started flowing in because they were the best for competitive play and I have friends to play with.

Garage and house full, overflow into mom's garage.

Mom moves out, fire sale ensues.

Nice manageable line-up now. Mostly Williams and no games I ever played when I was young.

#3 6 years ago

I searched for my first game because I wanted something fun and different in the basement for my kids and their friends. I am not a handy type guy so pushed the “ easy button” and bought two from an internet retailer. They worked ok but not great and certainly not equal to the purchase price. One was a theme I thought my wife and daughter would like and smooth over the whole idea of “pinball in the House”. Bad idea. They never played it. Sold both and now have four that I reallly like and are Nick Raschilla (PA) restorations. They are expensive; yes, but are beautiful and play flawlessly. Something that began as a gift to my kids has become a pastime for me.... kids think they are kind of cool but somewhat indifferent and think their dad just a little weird ! Someday when THEIR kids love banging away on grandpa’s antiques; they’ll thank me.

#4 6 years ago

Just wanted one in the basement game room and had the perfect spot for it. Then figured one in the livingroom was ok too. Then three showed up in the livingroom. Then rearranged the basement and added six more. Then added another pin room (took over kid’s romper room, they should be outside anyway) and here we are.

#5 6 years ago

Started with a $75 garage sale find. A nice 2001.

Said "Maybe I should add another.. Maybe a multiplayer..."

Bought another, a 2 player Suspense.

Said "Hmm... It'd sure be nice to have something solid state."

Bought a Lectronamo.

Said "Hmm... It'd be nice to have something with Multiball"

Bought a Firepower.

Said "Hmm... It'd be nice to have something with a story"

Bought a Whirlwind.

[Whirlwind breaks... PITA to fix.] [Firepower breaks... PITA to fix] [Lectronamo breaks... PITA to fix]

Said "Hmm... It'd sure be nice to have something is easy to fix and will be consistently reliable, but still just as fun."

Bought a Captain Fantastic, then a Swing Along, then a Sure Shot, then a Triple Action, then a Royal Flush.

I learned quick that as nice as SS games are, nothing beats an EM game that's fixed up right. I've had all sorts of annoying breakdowns during parties and other gatherings with my solid state games. You can't fix those on the spot. I've NEVER had a serious breakdown with any of my EMs after I've properly fixed them up (knock on wood).

They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'

#6 6 years ago

What you said. The younger Crowd is getting educated as well. They have little or no memories or connections to EMs but the word is getting out, if you like to play pinball and don't have a lot of money to invest there are great deals. They are easier to fix, the parts are available, and most importantly no cheesy electronic sounds from the early SS.
    The Market for EMs has left the barn, oh yeah, its rising. These machines will soon receive their due, break away from artificial price constraints and clean working examples will sell for markedly higher prices.
    Sounded good,didn't it?
    Youtube kinda ruins it, you find a cool SS and get excited, then you see it in play. Millennials don't like the primitive sounds, they are ok with me since I played them when they came out.
    EM has the "Campy Edge" with original Themes and a lot of cool Artwork.
    High voltage and fast play are part and parcel without dropping 200-400 on circuit boards.
    Bottom line the EM Buyer becomes a Snob, Aficionado, whatever you wish to call it. A lot of "Fringe" games turned down but higher prices for the good ones.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evolution-of-the-em-buyer?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.