New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 266176)

Evil Knievel *HELP*

By Csimone01

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Csimone01
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1309FAB4-AE6A-4DB8-ABEC-7B739EFDFC15 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 months ago

Hey guys thanks for acceptance too group.
So I currently have a Bally’s Evil Knievel pinball machine that I’m trying to get going again. Originally replaced with new MPU and board was not getting any voltage. I replaced one of the factory connectors that powers board. Once done board now has power. Light Blinks twice quick then another 5x following. Game lights up and makes opening game chimes. My problem now is that when on all of the score and ball in play boards do not show any. Numbers at all( can see dim back lighting in each on screens). Tested voltage at each on the boards and all are getting 5v. If I open door and hit the test button, all the solenoids test fine. But other then that none of the display tests happen. Also when I hit the credit button upon start up the game with make the chimes as if game will start but no balls will be sent or flippers won’t work at this point. Hoping my screen/ display problem is what is holding up game start.
Any info or help would be greatly appreciated. Have checked all voltages at tests points and all fuses and all are what they should
Be. Thank you for any info.

#2 6 months ago

so a flicker then 7 flashes ?

For the displays, check the fuse on the SDB (Solenoid driver board) upper right hand board in back box. also may be a fuse on the rectifier board "F2" I believe

With the test button you said all solenoids fired including the outhole kicker?

If the coil fired in solenoid test, perhaps a dirty, mis-ajusted or disconnected out-hole switch

There is a switch test but you need the displays working

If and original SDB board and the fuse is shorter than the ones on your rectifier board then it's this fuse https://www.pinballlife.com/25mm-fast-blow-fuse-316-amp.html

#3 6 months ago

chas10e.
Upon flipping the switch it will blink 2x be a pause, then blink another 6x.(fat fingered original post.) there is no fuse on my solenoid panel at all. Yes when I hit the test button first solenoid that test is kicker and will fire ball out upon test. I did realize that last time I turned in power and shut the cabinet door. That the displays all powered up very briefly and showed random numbers before they all faded out simultaneously. Going to try and replace the connector today off the MPU. Hopefully that will help out that problem.

1309FAB4-AE6A-4DB8-ABEC-7B739EFDFC15 (resized).jpeg
#4 6 months ago

At a minimum those 43 year old capacitors on your solenoid driver board probably need to be replaced.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

Almost every conceivable issue with a Bally/Stern game is covered there including fixes and recommended mods.

Once you work through the issues this platform of game is usually very reliable.

#5 6 months ago

Interesting to learn they added the fuse for later board revisions.

I wonder if ONE display is shorting the others from lighting,

With power off unplug all but 1 display then power up if you have a voltmeter check the test points on the SDB ... there is a trimmer pot there to dial-in the output to the desired 170 VDC to 190 VDC rinse & repeat for the others ( are they all 6 digit displays ? )

Do NOT unplug or attach display connectors with machine powered on

#6 6 months ago

chas10e. Yea so I replaced the rest of the connectors on the MPU. goo news on that is that I am now able to start a game and working for most part.(minus couple solenoids not firing, but will look into those tomorrow.) I will test out what you said tomorrow so what the output voltage is. Yea they are all 6 digit displays.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.00
$ 149.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 22.50
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Double Oak, TX
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside