Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by schmoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RR-uMP3-110-A1-schem.png
    deer.jpg
    top.jpg
    sideart.jpg
    backglass.jpg
    #1 14 years ago

I almost have the machine completed. Just have to add the spining disc behind the backglass. And design a new piece for around the scores. I have all the kinks worked out, and it plays just as good... if not better than the old Hollywood Heat. Me and my buddy's have been playing it like crazy to get the bugs out.Plus it sounds awesome. Video soon.

backglass.jpgbackglass.jpg sideart.jpgsideart.jpg top.jpgtop.jpg deer.jpgdeer.jpg

#2 14 years ago

That is sooooooooooooooooo cool. I don't have a comment to do it justice.

#3 14 years ago

All the artwork is incredible. Love the side art, and backglass.

#4 14 years ago

All original art, no photoshop. Even the sideart. If I can do it, why cant stern? I know my Evil Dead pin is not an original theme. But at least I just didnt print out a bunch of photos from the movie. I hope stern comes up with somthing original, with original art too. Imagine what a whole design team could come up with.

#5 14 years ago

Wow erak congrats! post the video quick!

#6 14 years ago

Killer work on the Evil Dead, erak!

Btw, you bring up a good point.

When exactly was the last time we saw a Stern (post-Sega) pin using an original art package? All I got is "Sharky's Shootout" & "Striker Xtreme" back in 2000. Would be almost 10 years ago, before they got a hard-on for the photoshop.

I doubt you'll ever see a modern Stern not use photoshop. Its much easier to contract to artists, as most know photoshop, and you can get the work done quickly "on the cheap". You can only hope they don't go overboard with the godamn photoshop. Stern's Indiana Jones is a prime example, and a mess to look at.

#7 14 years ago

That pin keeps looking better and better. Glad to hear it is up and running. Never played Hollywood heat. Did you mess with the switches and scoring logic or sounds at all?

#8 14 years ago

I totally agree, I think all new stern pins are a mess to look at. There is no artwork to be seen, only cut and paste.

If you are going to cut and paste a pic at least dont put a large coloured outline around it, eg Batman, BBH, 24, NBA, Family Guy, Shreck, Elvis, Harley Davidson, you get the point.

It takes no design skill artisticly, to produce playfields like these. Family Guy isn't so bad just because its a cartoon so it kinda fits. But shreck, CGI more outlines over other pics outlined by other pics. I mean come on... Computers can do way better art than what was done on that one

#9 14 years ago

Looks real professional erak , well done

#10 14 years ago

Im a designer and I use photoshop everyday all day long - lets not bash photoshop, but the actual execution, between photoshop and illustrator (both adobe) we could do just about every playfield design, if done right - it goes back to erak, copy and paste (outline style) thats the end user just saving money for the boss and getting it done on the cheap - all goes back to the money. Printing a 4 color process playfield on some type of laminate and silkscreened artwork from the 80' and 90's just don't compare. We're not there to see the politics and BS that probably goes on when some of these veteran guys (designers) have ideas/suggestions and want to do some awesome art - then corporate just shuts them down because of their bottom line - its just a sign of the times and pinball isnt pulling us out of the recession.. just reality i guess -- erak awesome job, glad your taking some time to do it right. I dont blame the artists or even stern its just the numbers I think, unless stern is making an S load of money.

#11 14 years ago

You did a bang up job on the whole thing. Side cab especially.

Bring it to the rocky mountain pinball showdown. haha I wish

#12 14 years ago

Hi Erak ,
    The most important was to finalize this dream - you have done it , and WELL !
    I wrote once , that it wasn't my prefered atmospher but this machine seems wonderfull anf well finished on all aspects : Backglass, playfield..
    Everyone would like to play with it now !

Respect and Congratulations

Lionel.

Questions :
    How about a new project ..

#13 14 years ago

In response to sealclubber, I put a custom sound card hooked up to the switches. The machine has around 16 different sound clips from the movie. My favourite being "Groovy" when you shoot the ramp. I still have to add background music which the sound card supports as well. I just have to pick ones from the soundtrack that will fit certain game modes. All programmable by SD card.

RR-uMP3-110-A1-schem.pngRR-uMP3-110-A1-schem.png

#14 14 years ago

I'm hoping to take it to the Toronto game show May 16th. But in the mean time I'm gonna shoot some video and post it soon. Thanks for all the positive feedback, gonna figure out my next project once this ones done.

#15 14 years ago

Ever think of making the official Brokedad "Ladies of Pinball" or "Pinbabe" pin?

Give Stern's Playboy a run for its money.

Just a suggestion.

#16 14 years ago

Thanks Erak. Besides the artwork, the reprogramming is the biggest concern I have towards making a custom pin. Now it seems there are user-programmable circuit boards available to make it doable.

#17 14 years ago

How about replace a poor sound card in System1 or system 80 producing sounds like 'tit, Tut, Pouc, Pack" , by this advanced card .

Could you give us the link to access to detailed information and price about this card ?

Thanks in advance.

#18 14 years ago

Thanks for sharing the schematic. It's nice and simple/straightforward which is always the sign of a good design.

3 weeks later
    #19 14 years ago

Bump as this is very cool.

Any video of the game?

#20 14 years ago

Still doing some final touches, but I moved two weeks ago so haven't had the time to get back on it at the moment. But today was my last day of work, April 13th.offically Retired. Freedom 35 worked for me. Yippee!! Gonna finish it soon though lots of time now.

#21 14 years ago

Wow, can't believe I missed this post. This game sounds like a load of fun to play. I love the way you've finished the cabinet art. Is the backbox side art inspired by that drawing from M.C.Escher where he holds a silver sphere?

Very interested in the final video of the game!!!

PS: Build your own Pinball Machine... Now I know what I'm gonna do after my retirement... Which is in only 35 years from now

#22 14 years ago

Wow thats amazing this reminds me of when i bought the evil dead series movies and me and my friend skipped the last half of school two days in a row to watch evil dead 2 and army of darkness lol such an awsome series.

#23 14 years ago

Yup robin the topper sideart is inspired by M.C. Escher. I really hope to get things finished next week, then I'll get my girlfriend to shoot some video for me. Lots of time on my hands now.

Just finished going over mt Pinbot and Taxi machines today, installing parts I ordered last week. Both pins looking/working great now. Also started on Taxi sideart reproductions for myself. Also going to start my taxi topper repro, anyone need one let me know, the more I get made the cheaper they get.

#24 14 years ago

Do u have a youtube account? If so whats the name?

3 years later
    #25 10 years ago

Very nice... how are you with this today?

#26 10 years ago

I remember seeing the finished game change hands several times.

#27 10 years ago

Nice 3-year bump!

#28 10 years ago

Here's a video of it. 3 years old of course.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evil-dead-custom-pin-almost-done and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.