Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Coyote
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

When I first received my TX the clock didn't work. After rebooting a couple of times it seemed fine. Then the display board stopped working. I played with the connecters and that came back. Then the Extra Ball Switch stopped. Then the game started feeding me 2 balls at a time. Then when the ball went down the slot machine shoot the slot machine didn't spin on the display. The ball wasn't recognized. the game cycles through all the coils and shot the ball back out. Then the F115 fuse on the power driver board started blowing. I sent the power driver board, MPU board and the dot matrix board back to the person I bought the game from. He told me he checked all 3 in his game and they were fine. After I reinstalled the boards The F601 fuse on the dot matrix board blew as soon as I switched the game on. I took a little break and installed a new flipper coil. I had a box between the playfield and the cabinet. I turned the game on and it blew the F601 fuse on the dot matrix board but didn't blow the F115 fuse on the power driver board and the flippers worked. I placed the playfield back down to the cabinet and there was a large spark and the F115 fuse on the power driver board blew. At that point I knew there was a short. The apron was crushing the opto wires and shorting. I pulled the wires away from any metal and turned the game on again and now it was blowing the power box fuse. Dead, no power. I finally disconnected the dot matrix board completely, the power box fuse doesn't blow anymore and the F115 fuse on the power driver board doesn't blow. But now the flasher lights on the playfield stay on. The dot matrix board was reworked oat one time, I wonder if that could be part of the problem?

#2 9 years ago

There are several problems on your machine.
I would start to check all connectors at the boards you had out, especially ribbons.
There is a list in the manual.

#3 9 years ago

Wow that's a huge sentence.

Let me ask a few questions...

Was the machine confirmed working 100% before you got it?

How was it shipped?

Just trying to get an idea...if this was in a basement nonfunctional for a decade vs was working before it was moved....

#4 9 years ago

Grab your DMM and start checking all of the transistors, capacitors, and rectifiers on your boards too. Blown transistors can cause much havoc and the only real way to check (that I'm aware of) is with a DMM. Best of luck and keep your eye on the prize! TZ is a masterpiece when working flawlessly.

Cheers,
Greg

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

I would start to check all connectors at the boards you had out, especially ribbons.

I bought and replaced the game with all new ribbons. I took detailed pictures of all the connectors on all the boards before I removed them. I checked, double checked, and triple checked. Everything is connected correctly.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Was the machine confirmed working 100% before you got it?
How was it shipped?
Just trying to get an idea...if this was in a basement nonfunctional for a decade vs was working before it was moved....

I was told the game was in perfect working condition. It was bought from a basement game room and moved to a warehouse, and then shipped by freight 2,000 miles to me.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Grab your DMM and start checking all of the transistors, capacitors, and rectifiers on your boards too. Blown transistors can cause much havoc and the only real way to check (that I'm aware of) is with a DMM

Don't you have to remove one end of a resister, diode, or cap to get an accurate reading? If not how can I tell if one is bad?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Mafia_Pinball:

Don't you have to remove one end of a resister, diode, or cap to get an accurate reading? If not how can I tell if one is bad?

I got a lot of help in the attached thread that led me to diagnose the transistor issues on my STTNG. If you read through the thread you'll see the instructions on how to test with your DMM.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-f104-fuse-keeps-blowing

Cheers,
Greg

#9 9 years ago

When I plug connecter J605 from the transformer secondary into the dot matrix controller board the F601 +62V circuit the fuse blows as well as the power supply fuse. The book says the two white wires from connecter J605 from the transformer secondary should be 80VAC, I tested 85.2VAC and the two purple wires from connecter J605 from the transformer secondary should be 100VAC, I tested 107.1VAC. I'm thinking too much voltage?

#10 9 years ago

And this is why I sold mine...too many issues. I feel your pain

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

And this is why I sold mine...too many issues. I feel your pain

This can happen to any pin with a short of whatever the issue is they all use basically the same stuff just different toys and layouts . I can say my tz has been the most reliable pin ive owned so far and ive put over 2500 games on her in 6 months .sounds like something happen in shipping which could just be something came lose and when turned on caused some board issues or something could of been something in the cab such as a screw or o.d solder and it may be in a bad place causing all this . This can happen to any pin

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Mafia_Pinball:

When I plug connecter J605 from the transformer secondary into the dot matrix controller board the F601 +62V circuit the fuse blows as well as the power supply fuse. The book says the two white wires from connecter J605 from the transformer secondary should be 80VAC, I tested 85.2VAC and the two purple wires from connecter J605 from the transformer secondary should be 100VAC, I tested 107.1VAC. I'm thinking too much voltage?

No. Fuses blow because of amperage, not voltage (within reason). Your fuses are blowing because something is shorted - likely the high power section of your display driver board is bad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.95
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/everything-is-going-bad-on-my-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.