(Topic ID: 205644)

Everyone selling MB - 12 for sale - best way to buy?

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 208 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LitzDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best way to add MB to your collection?”

• Buy original now at heavily discounted price 57 votes
    22%
  • Buy original after MBr is released at about same price as MBr (assume HUO) 16 votes
    6%
  • Buy MBr mint and new with upgrades like what AFMr had 148 votes
    56%
  • Don't like MB so not buying either way 41 votes
    16%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Way Off (resized).jpg
5801F649-791A-489F-BDB5-6E3D99035A2F (resized).jpeg
6CCF7C0E-30F1-4D14-BA37-CD06BC7476E8 (resized).png
9B883644-2F65-4D5A-8EC8-FBC6204DF648 (resized).png
IMG_9770 (resized).JPG
download (4) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mechslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A few months ago, I sold my Cactus Canyon to a local friend and he felt the same way. In fact, he had spoken directly with Rick at Planetary long ago and during the conversation Rick let it slip out that CC were coming. He's a happy guy today and he taught me there is definitely a market and a preference for the originals. Albeit a much smaller market obviously.

Yes, a lot of us in this category. I'm not opposed to remakes, if people like them. But they aren't for me. For instance, I want to get an MM again, but I don't want an MMr. Not being a repro/original snob, I just prefer originals. I have extra WPC-95 cpus, and drivers. I know the system backwards and forwards. I know exactly what's wrong when something breaks, and probably have the parts/know-how on hand to fix it immediately. If I want to change some lighting, I swap in different LEDs. Sometimes, I swap it back and change it again, until I get the lighting exactly like I want it. I like the fact that my machines were put together at the old Wms factory, with the original designers walking the line, overseeing production, tweaking the line, etc. I know, a little corny and nostalgic. But that's me.

To many, none of this matters, or saving $1000-2500 matters more. Which is understandable. Some people just like "new" things. I get that too. Unboxing a new MBr? That's going to be a sweet moment for anyone, even the most hardcore originality fanatics have to admit. But if you gave me $8k and asked, original or remake, I'm going to grab an original all day, every day. Wide display or no, a couple enhancements or what not, it won't matter, that would just be my preference.

Quoted from Whysnow:

MB is the most over rated of all the over rated/ high priced games. I suggest not buying one at all and esp not now with the pending announcement of the remake at TPF. It is like a common day Stern SW that sells on mainly theme. It is the easiest of all the classic fan layouts and once you beat it, then the game is pretty boring. Pretty to look at and monsters are cool, but what a waste of funds.

MB is an absolutely wonderful game. It's become common among modern collectors to dismiss a game once it's been 'beaten.' To me, this is silly. MB never gets old. The sounds, characters, toys, visuals make it a joy to play. MoR is not all that easy, either. But yes, as far as wizard modes go, it's very attainable.

But have you seen any flying 6's lately? Doubt it. The Big-6 stack is probably the most difficult stack in 90's pinball. Unbelievably difficult because of the precise order you need to complete your shots, so you don't complete one monster before starting another. If you need more challenge, there you go. Most who say MB is "boring" and "too easy" also give you a blank stare when you ask if they've seen Flying 6's. But difficulty aside, when Frank comes alive, it's one of the most magical moments in pinball. The flow of the game is great. The bash toys are satisfying. It's a joy to play, and has been for me since it was released.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I've only done this once in the 7 or so years I've owned MB. It was very cool and felt like quite an accomplishment.

I've seen it only twice. Crazy difficult.

Also, Rock Before Bash is a difficult achievement most won't see often. However, the 50M bonus is not a great reward, because you can grab more than that in a good round of Bash. It should be 150M, honestly. I've talked to Lyman about it, and he didn't disagree but said he didn't want to weight it too heavily when he was estimating scoring originally. Points aside, if you get RBB you have been absolutely shooting the lights out.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What’s Flying 6?

Some call it the Big-6 stack. Some call it Flying 6's. When you get all Six monsters active at the same time, and the number 6's fly out of the display. I think Lyman referred to it as the "666666 Stack."

As with RBB, the player is not properly rewarded for the Big-6 stack. They are both just feathers in your cap. I forget the Big-6 bonus amount but I remember it being dismally low. I've mentioned this to Lyman, and he's not opposed to updating the scoring, and agreed the Big-6 bonus should be higher. Iirc, he said the average Bash score during testing was 25M, so he doubled it for RBB. So at least for RBB, we have the early Wms testers to blame for their weak Bash scores. As for the Big-6, I doubt any players saw it during test except Lyman.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 75.00
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mechslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/everyone-selling-mb-12-for-sale-best-way-to-buy?tu=mechslave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.