(Topic ID: 205644)

Everyone selling MB - 12 for sale - best way to buy?

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 208 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LitzDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best way to add MB to your collection?”

• Buy original now at heavily discounted price 57 votes
    22%
  • Buy original after MBr is released at about same price as MBr (assume HUO) 16 votes
    6%
  • Buy MBr mint and new with upgrades like what AFMr had 148 votes
    56%
  • Don't like MB so not buying either way 41 votes
    16%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Way Off (resized).jpg
5801F649-791A-489F-BDB5-6E3D99035A2F (resized).jpeg
6CCF7C0E-30F1-4D14-BA37-CD06BC7476E8 (resized).png
9B883644-2F65-4D5A-8EC8-FBC6204DF648 (resized).png
IMG_9770 (resized).JPG
download (4) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider concretehardt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It is the #1 game novice players go to in my house

My wife and daughter love MB, clear objectives that even a novice player can walk up and have fun with the game.

“What a torso!... what’s a torso?”

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why the F would anybody EVER buy an original MB when you know the remake, for less $$$ in most cases, is going to BLOW IT OUT OF THE WATER.
Light show, sound, color dmd, unreal topper, etc. GAME OVER
Nobody can restore it to what they are about to do to a MB.

One big plus to the remake is that I am sure they will come with a protector on the scoop and the bracket on he Drac track. I have owned several MB’s and unfortunately most have blown out Mosh scoops and some have playfield warping at the Drac track (major bummer). It will be nice to start from day one with all the protectors and playfield reinforcements in place.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

What makes them of superb quality? The mechanisms are flimsy, the boards aren’t serviceable. In about 10 years many of the remakes will be 300lb paperweights or beat to hell worse than many originals.

This is why I mentioned Metallica and not say Addams family. Can’t compare numbers from 3 years ago?
Seems like everyone is so blinded by shiny the facts aren’t important.

11000 plays and counting, time will tell...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/documenting-the-entire-life-of-a-medieval-madness-remake/page/4#post-4061182

I have owned 5 original MM and now an MMr, I don't know the science behind it but my MMr plays great (better than the CQ restored MM I used to own)

The remakes are what they are at this point, if you don't like them don't buy them. I think it is a bit rediculous to say they will be 300 pound paper weights is 10 years.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The R&D for the crappy boardset happened with MMr and most of that was 'borrowed' from elsewhere. Nothing new for AFMr. They emulated the code, used the original art as concept, and the investment is minimal at best. You honestly are fooling yourself and buying into their marketing hype and desired perception if you really think they spend more than 20% of what it would take to create a completely new game.
Dont get me wrong, i am very happy for all the people with the money that are chomping at the bit to buy these remakes. Like I said, they feed a niche of people that only want nostalgia but have not idea how to work on a machine themselves. In a home environment the quality does not matter as they get a fraction of the plays in a year that a game does on route. From what I have seen they just dont hold up in the long run on route and the boardset is of concern.

Nah, up till now anyone with a little desire to learn could pick up a soldering iron and a DMM and get to work. That is no longer the case with this surface mount stuff. The whole difference here is that the new stuff is being built with planned failure rate and an exhorbant cost to repair. You have to remember that when solidstate came around, the manfacturers offered classes and tech skill on how to work on them. I am still waiting to get my invite for learning how to troubleshoot and fix this new technology... (I dont think it will ever happen since that is not the business model).
My only real gripe on the remakes is that they are charging WAY TOO MUCH. It costs them a fraction to R&D and build these, they are being built in a comparable facility to Stern, and yet they are charging at least a 2k premium that is ONLY for the nostalgia factor on the ill-percieved idea that they will hold the value of the original (they wont in the long run). I truly think that if they drop 1 dud and people just wait to buy for a few months, that you will see a price shift.
Make no mistake, they are attempting to suck money out of the hobby as quick as they possibly can while the getting is good. In the long term this brings more instability to the hobby.

Quoted from Whysnow:

MB is the most over rated of all the over rated/ high priced games. I suggest not buying one at all and esp not now with the pending announcement of the remake at TPF. It is like a common day Stern SW that sells on mainly theme. It is the easiest of all the classic fan layouts and once you beat it, then the game is pretty boring. Pretty to look at and monsters are cool, but what a waste of funds.
Go buy 4 good early solid states games instead. You will have more fun, more lastability, and you can rotate through 4 games without having a bunch of money ties up in a single boring deck.

Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry, but no... they are cheaper quality and dont play better. They actually play similar to originals but definitely not better.

Remakes are not going to help the hobby grow. They are low margin, high cost games that have nothing new to bring to the hobby and instead are sucking out millions of dollars that would be better spent on any new game/innovation (assuming you want to see the hobby grow). Reality is that they are remaking games from 20 years ago and charging restored original prices because there are enough suckers to buy them at that price. The remakes are not retaining value and in fact have taken value form the originals which pulls more $$$ and people from the hobby.
Remakes fill a void for old guys wanting nostalgia that dont know or want to work on an original. That is cool but it is a flash in the pan and not sustainable.
You have to remember that if ANY game should be at or below Stern PRO pricing it is these remakes. AFMr has very little in the game, had no R&D costs, no coding, no art, no nothing... Just build it and crank them out. Instead of being 5k they sucker punched the gullible community to pay 7k based on the value of the originals as a collectible with limited number when in reality the remakes will lose value quickly and have no collectiblity since they are being made forever in unlimited numbers.
How many more 7k plus remakes are people going to buy?
The writing is already on the wall since they are scrambling to add fluff to the games to try and help people justify the 2k extra upcharge.
I hope the community wakes up before it it too late and it comes crashing down again.

Ok Hilton time to step down off your soapbox! The thing is that you don’t exactly have a lot of credibility with me and many others here, your gushing reviews of Predator and the Skit B team are part of what made me pull the trigger on that game (my bad taking someone else’s oppinion as fact). Lucky for me after I sent my down payment to Skit B I decided i needed to play the game and meet Kevin, so I drove to Seattle and did just that. I was shocked at how poorly Predator played, how piss poor the build quality was and what an Asshole Kevin was when I met him. I immediately called for a refund of my deposit on Predator after seeing, playing it and meeting Kevin. I was lucky as I asked for a refund early on and got it, yet you still banged the drum “best game ever & Kevin and team are legit” I bring this up because that was a game you gave a FULL throated endorsement of, and now here you are talking down CGC and everything about what they are doing. I guess the moral of he story for me in my years here is to basically do the opposite of what ever you recommend. I don’t think you are a bad dude, but you have a habit of stating your oppinion as if it is an indisputable fact. Sometimes (just like the rest of us) you are just wrong!
Merry Christmas

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider concretehardt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/everyone-selling-mb-12-for-sale-best-way-to-buy?tu=concretehardt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.