(Topic ID: 205644)

Everyone selling MB - 12 for sale - best way to buy?

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 208 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LitzDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best way to add MB to your collection?”

• Buy original now at heavily discounted price 57 votes
    22%
  • Buy original after MBr is released at about same price as MBr (assume HUO) 16 votes
    6%
  • Buy MBr mint and new with upgrades like what AFMr had 148 votes
    56%
  • Don't like MB so not buying either way 41 votes
    16%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Way Off (resized).jpg
5801F649-791A-489F-BDB5-6E3D99035A2F (resized).jpeg
6CCF7C0E-30F1-4D14-BA37-CD06BC7476E8 (resized).png
9B883644-2F65-4D5A-8EC8-FBC6204DF648 (resized).png
IMG_9770 (resized).JPG
download (4) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago

MB is the most over rated of all the over rated/ high priced games. I suggest not buying one at all and esp not now with the pending announcement of the remake at TPF. It is like a common day Stern SW that sells on mainly theme. It is the easiest of all the classic fan layouts and once you beat it, then the game is pretty boring. Pretty to look at and monsters are cool, but what a waste of funds.

Go buy 4 good early solid states games instead. You will have more fun, more lastability, and you can rotate through 4 games without having a bunch of money ties up in a single boring deck.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

These remakes are superb quality and in my opinion they play better too.

sorry, but no... they are cheaper quality and dont play better. They actually play similar to originals but definitely not better.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

The more pinball options we have, the better off this hobby is and the more it will grow. I don’t want to see this hobby die again, I want to see it become huge again and I think these remakes can be a part in helping that happen.

Remakes are not going to help the hobby grow. They are low margin, high cost games that have nothing new to bring to the hobby and instead are sucking out millions of dollars that would be better spent on any new game/innovation (assuming you want to see the hobby grow). Reality is that they are remaking games from 20 years ago and charging restored original prices because there are enough suckers to buy them at that price. The remakes are not retaining value and in fact have taken value form the originals which pulls more $$$ and people from the hobby.

Remakes fill a void for old guys wanting nostalgia that dont know or want to work on an original. That is cool but it is a flash in the pan and not sustainable.

You have to remember that if ANY game should be at or below Stern PRO pricing it is these remakes. AFMr has very little in the game, had no R&D costs, no coding, no art, no nothing... Just build it and crank them out. Instead of being 5k they sucker punched the gullible community to pay 7k based on the value of the originals as a collectible with limited number when in reality the remakes will lose value quickly and have no collectiblity since they are being made forever in unlimited numbers.

How many more 7k plus remakes are people going to buy?

The writing is already on the wall since they are scrambling to add fluff to the games to try and help people justify the 2k extra upcharge.
I hope the community wakes up before it it too late and it comes crashing down again.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You’re wrong about no R&D, coding and art. They have a new board set, their own code to run it, new art in higer resolution than the original. They invested heavily in that.

The R&D for the crappy boardset happened with MMr and most of that was 'borrowed' from elsewhere. Nothing new for AFMr. They emulated the code, used the original art as concept, and the investment is minimal at best. You honestly are fooling yourself and buying into their marketing hype and desired perception if you really think they spend more than 20% of what it would take to create a completely new game.

Dont get me wrong, i am very happy for all the people with the money that are chomping at the bit to buy these remakes. Like I said, they feed a niche of people that only want nostalgia but have not idea how to work on a machine themselves. In a home environment the quality does not matter as they get a fraction of the plays in a year that a game does on route. From what I have seen they just dont hold up in the long run on route and the boardset is of concern.

Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I wonder if people said the same thing when the first solid state pins came out.

Nah, up till now anyone with a little desire to learn could pick up a soldering iron and a DMM and get to work. That is no longer the case with this surface mount stuff. The whole difference here is that the new stuff is being built with planned failure rate and an exhorbant cost to repair. You have to remember that when solidstate came around, the manfacturers offered classes and tech skill on how to work on them. I am still waiting to get my invite for learning how to troubleshoot and fix this new technology... (I dont think it will ever happen since that is not the business model).

My only real gripe on the remakes is that they are charging WAY TOO MUCH. It costs them a fraction to R&D and build these, they are being built in a comparable facility to Stern, and yet they are charging at least a 2k premium that is ONLY for the nostalgia factor on the ill-percieved idea that they will hold the value of the original (they wont in the long run). I truly think that if they drop 1 dud and people just wait to buy for a few months, that you will see a price shift.
Make no mistake, they are attempting to suck money out of the hobby as quick as they possibly can while the getting is good. In the long term this brings more instability to the hobby.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

whysnow The people I know who bought remakes did because it’s a finished and great game and had no nostalgia at all for them. If Stern could release a game with any code instead of using buyers to beta test maybe it would be less of a problem. Comparing a AFMr to a GotG is basically impossible and will be for years until it’s finished.

Yeah, I am not comparing it to unfinish stuff. However, there are LOTS of finished games that can be had for less.

MET, TWD, SW, TNA, GOT, etc... Those are all less than the remakes, had more development costs, and actually move the hobby forward. Those will also hold their resale value better in the long run.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Then I'm certain you'll will be thrilled by this quote from Chicago Gaming posted 4 days ago.

That is great, but still way over priced imo.

I am honestly surprised at how fevthey have sold. Figured it would be at least double that by now?

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Actually I think about 1500 MMR’s and 1500 AFMR’s are about right where they should be. One of the other good things about the remakes is they can just keep doing small runs of a few hundred at a time and keep producing them for years to come. I wouldn’t expect them to sell multiple thousands when there are already thousands of original games out there.

I just figured that if stern can sell 800 le and. A couple thousand prem that remakes of the best games of all time would be selling comparable numbers;3000 plus.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What would you define as "long run" because the remakes haven't been out long enough to even evaluate how they hold up

I wish i had taken photos of the one at Logans arcade last week. Scoop was already chewed up badly, much worse than it should be for the age.

#143 6 years ago

Lol, bad example as my original MM had over 100,000 plays on the meter and looked better than that remake after 1/10th the plays.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Awesome, based on mileage (100k) I’ll offer you 4500 for it! Please send PayPal address

Sold it years ago, don't miss it at all.

#151 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ok Hilton time to step down off your soapbox! The thing is that you don’t exactly have a lot of credibility with me and many others here, your gushing reviews of Predator and the Skit B team are part of what made me pull the trigger on that game (my bad taking someone else’s oppinion as fact). Lucky for me after I sent my down payment to Skit B I decided i needed to play the game and meet Kevin, so I drove to Seattle and did just that. I was shocked at how poorly Predator played, how piss poor the build quality was and what an Asshole Kevin was when I met him. I immediately called for a refund of my deposit on Predator after seeing, playing it and meeting Kevin. I was lucky as I asked for a refund early on and got it, yet you still banged the drum “best game ever & Kevin and team are legit” I bring this up because that was a game you gave a FULL throated endorsement of, and now here you are talking down CGC and everything about what they are doing. I guess the moral of he story for me in my years here is to basically do the opposite of what ever you recommend. I don’t think you are a bad dude, but you have a habit of stating your oppinion as if it is an indisputable fact. Sometimes (just like the rest of us) you are just wrong!
Merry Christmas

Wow,i did not think there was anyone still butt hurt and holding a grudge over Predator, hahaha. And you got your money back and are still crying over it, lol.

FIgures that you are still hung up on that.

Even funnier if you think I care what you think about my credibility with you of all people.

You should buy at least ten of each remake and enjoy them. Enjoy the extra 2k you are giving to mr personality with each purchase also.

You have a habit of not realizing that this is an online forum and opinions are always facts on the internet, lol.

Don't choke on your christmas dinner. Happy holidays.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Again, this is just a passing thought, based on questionable knowledge, so feel free to counter me.

Not sure why anyone would compare a remake to anything but the original? Esp in a thread on the topic of buying a MB, either now or remkae... sounds like a diversionary tangent?

I was evaluating AFMr as a potential purchase to put on route (either it or a future remake) so I specifically wanted to look at an example of the game that is maintained by a high use location with great techs. I was scared off quickly after seeing the condition of the game (and comparing it directly to the 20 year old games in the same row). I will likely be back down there in the next month and will grab photos for you. THis is not about a single example, this is about one of the few representative examples that has gotten a reasonable amount of plays and is indicative of the future wear/ condition of many AFMr after they get a few thousand plays on them. If you want to be so obtuse as to compare to other failed companies then go right ahead, but you look silly in doing so.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Maybe he was mad he didn't get to do the test route option for PPS like he does with other titles? Those game would be 10/10 if he had the first game off the line.

Lol, gotta love that this guy chimes in. Dude is still crying cause he tried to take advantage of the good will of others and got caught on it. now he stalks me and other WI folks to cry every chance he can.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Hilton's problem is he has an agenda and a personal bias against Rick Bartlett of Planetary Pinball. He has carried on this personal crusade for years now and is always looking for ways to attack and denigrate him or anyone connected to him. Take his opinions with a grain of salt.

My comment goes to the quality and condition delivered by these three manufactures and nothing more. I think it's a fair comparison and on topic. Interesting conversation starter if nothing else.
People are welcome to judge my comment and rebuttal as I requested they do, whether you think I'm being silly or not.

I don't care for Mr personality, but I was evaluating AFMr for potential purchase. you are dumb if you think my dislike for someone means I won't buy a product they offer if I think it makes sense to do so.
Not everyone lives in the vindictive world that you do Kim.

I personally think it is silly to try and compare heighway and DP to AFM when the topic is specifically talking MB original and remake... IF you want to, then I would say they all have similar PF quality (or lack of more accurately). I do find it silly that none of them ship with proper protectors in place. AFM in particular gets hammered at the scoop and there has been a good protector for this for years. Just cost cutting to not have this installed on al, the games from D1.

#161 6 years ago

So what is the rumored price on MBr when it comes out?

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Happy Holidays, Hilton. - Sincerely.

You to Kim!

Cheers

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 85.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 75.00
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/everyone-selling-mb-12-for-sale-best-way-to-buy?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.