(Topic ID: 205644)

Everyone selling MB - 12 for sale - best way to buy?

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 208 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LitzDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best way to add MB to your collection?”

• Buy original now at heavily discounted price 57 votes
    22%
  • Buy original after MBr is released at about same price as MBr (assume HUO) 16 votes
    6%
  • Buy MBr mint and new with upgrades like what AFMr had 148 votes
    56%
  • Don't like MB so not buying either way 41 votes
    16%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Way Off (resized).jpg
5801F649-791A-489F-BDB5-6E3D99035A2F (resized).jpeg
6CCF7C0E-30F1-4D14-BA37-CD06BC7476E8 (resized).png
9B883644-2F65-4D5A-8EC8-FBC6204DF648 (resized).png
IMG_9770 (resized).JPG
download (4) (resized).jpg
There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why the F would anybody EVER buy an original MB when you know the remake, for less $$$ in most cases, is going to BLOW IT OUT OF THE WATER.
Light show, sound, color dmd, unreal topper, etc. GAME OVER
Nobody can restore it to what they are about to do to a MB.

One big plus to the remake is that I am sure they will come with a protector on the scoop and the bracket on he Drac track. I have owned several MB’s and unfortunately most have blown out Mosh scoops and some have playfield warping at the Drac track (major bummer). It will be nice to start from day one with all the protectors and playfield reinforcements in place.

#52 6 years ago

MB is one of those games that has cute toys, nice humor, but very very very easy. The 3rd time i've ever played the game, I got to the ending, twice in the same game. I was bored already and only played it 3 times in my whole life. MB is one of those games that is great to play at someone elses house.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

MB is one of those games that has cute toys, nice humor, but very very very easy. The 3rd time i've ever played the game, I got to the ending, twice in the same game. I was bored already and only played it 3 times in my whole life. MB is one of those games that is great to play at someone elses house.

To be fair, we're not dealing with a bunch of great players here. It may be a perfect game for somebody with a lot of money, but not much experience playing pinball.

#54 6 years ago

I feel the same way about Monster Bash as I do Scared Stiff. Amazing games when it comes to theme and music and callouts and overall presentation, just great examples of the pinnacle of true 'arcade' pinball. These were games that were meant to take quarters, deliver a good time, and after you beat it no big deal, it was probably time for the op to rotate in a new game anyways.

If you have the money and space to have those kinds of enjoyable games to share with company, or put in a couple games when you want to grin and bash the ball around with the sound cranked up then you're in luck.

If you're the kind of person who spends time thinking about game code, strategies, depth, and long term replayability it's honestly a lousy choice. I had one for a while, did a temp swap of my Scared Stiff for one, and I enjoyed the shit out of it, and then didn't miss it when I gave it back.

Just one of those funny titles that I can honestly say is one of my favorite pins of all time, but that I wouldn't actually want to own.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To be fair, we're not dealing with a bunch of great players here. It may be a perfect game for somebody with a lot of money, but not much experience playing pinball.

that is true, but when I went through it twice. I was a D- player...at best. That's a lot of money for even a half assed player to just dominate within the first 40 mins of playing it.

#56 6 years ago

Sharing this important post re code improvements:

Quoted from PPS:

As for code updates for any remakes, sure, it can be done, will depend on the specific game and the specific issues, and what approach to fix them or make them better and improve the overall game. We've compiled game code, so this is not a super big deal (i'm sure it's more of a big deal to make changes and ensure that it doesn't break something else), but that is all within Chicago Gaming role to figure out what it takes to make a great remake.
rick

So they are able and very open to redoing code. Here are some points I'd like to make on improving code for MBr:

1. Any rerelease with updated code would have the original version code available as a setting anyway so there should be no reason for griping from purists.

2. If improved code is written for MBr (and if most of us in the community agree it is actually much better), this will provide another incentive to buy MBr above the original. Let me say this again, awesome code that respects the original but is much deeper with more wizard modes etc. will sell many more games.

3. For business reasons, like it or not, we can expect that MBr updated code will be (purposefully) made so as to be incompatible with original version meaning you could not update your original MB. Not saying I want this, but use brain... if they allowed that, it would take away incentive for them to actually spend the time and money to do it in the first place. They need to drive sales.

4. We can expect that (some) current owners will work to discourage discussion on changes of code or other features that set MBr apart from MB (at least until they sell) because money is on the table. Every extra reason that increases demand for MBr will ultimately lead to lower prices on MB. Let's not bash them as we'd all do the same because it's not fun to lose thousands.

5. Since few are chiming in re code update ideas for MBr (maybe because of 4?), I'll repeat what I've read tons of other owners and previous owners write about MB... It's a great game but has much shorter legs for home use because it is too easy and not as deep as MM and AFM. So I say don't change what's there but add goals and modes to make much deeper say as deep as MET. Don't even have to add inserts for that just have mode progress viewable on DMD by holding button. Consult top players and ask what could make MBr code not just OK for tournament play but into one of the best tournament machines ever!

6. If they release updated code, they can improve code over time as well with updates to drive even more demand and interests over the longer term. And if PPS are smart enough to INVOLVE THE COMMUNITY in this code-improvement process, they will set themselves even more apart from others in the industry who do the opposite.

So I think we in the community should celebrate making MBr into the best version it can possibly be and not think about holding it back from attaining even greater status than it already holds because of vested interests and nostalgia. MB can be made even better! Suggesting that MB can be improved is not an insult to one of the greatest pins ever, it's rather a sign of respect because so few pins even deserve to be honored with even a discussion about it.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why the F would anybody EVER buy an original MB when you know the remake, for less $$$ in most cases, is going to BLOW IT OUT OF THE WATER.
Light show, sound, color dmd, unreal topper, etc. GAME OVER
Nobody can restore it to what they are about to do to a MB.

All these extras plus shipping and taxes for 7k? Wow- good deal! And it will be out in March? Nice! .......I'm sure the MBR will be nice. I like the other 2 remakes.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

So they are able and very open to redoing code. Here are some points I'd like to make on improving code for MBr

It would be very cool if they started offering new/alternate code in their games, but I wouldn’t bank on it for MBr (I took that post to be hinting at improvements for CC). Buy MBr for what it is and if they happen to add new code, bonus for you.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

So I say don't change what's there but add goals and modes to make much deeper say as deep as MET.

As I was reading this post, right about here I pictured Liam Neeson saying "good luck". At best they will fix some bugs and enhance the DMD and sound quality. Actual code updates would be for games that need it like TOM and especially CC. MBr doesn't need a huge software update to sell and selling is all that counts.

#60 6 years ago

I continue to be in the minority. I think the remakes are a punch in the nuts to those of us who have been restoring and collecting these original games for years.

Given that these remakes require zero R&D, the tooling already exists to create the mechanisms and parts, and the build quality is not the same (Don’t believe me, try and flex a VUK mech on MMr vs An original, the new remakes are very flimsy), they are overpriced IMHO.

Comparing to cars, a vintage mustang will hold its value. However a new one will decline in value over time. My theory is the same on these remakes, their introduction to the market brings the price down on the vintage ones temporarily, but over the long run I think the originals will retain their value better.

This is why I say the best way to buy a MB, is to buy an original once the remakes are released. That’s when the prices on the better and more valuable game in the long term will be lower.

Someone earlier said AFMr was an overwhelming success. They have sold ~1500 units. Is that really overwhelming? I would say Metallica was an overwhelming success. I bet there are 8000+ Metallica’s out there.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

So they are able and very open to redoing code.

They will almost certainly write extended code for CCr. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if that ends up being remake #3 revealed at TPF in March. They have said the next remake will feature even more enhancements, and new code would fit that description. I'd be a little surprised if they wrote new code for MBr. Lyman wrote the original code and that game is already highly regarded as is. Can't wait to see what happens though as I love these remakes!

#62 6 years ago

I chose an original MM over the remake and I have to agree with some on the sentiment of knockerlover. But, I do believe that the restores and the high prices associated with them, created the market to pave the way for remakes to be produced. If there was not a market, the games would not be produced. Now people just have a choice between originals and remakes. Naturally this will drive down the prices of the restores for most except the true collector who would still pony up the money for an original restore or a very nice example. Was not too crazy about the MM remake but the AFM remake was stellar in my opinion and I look forward to more remakes.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I continue to be in the minority. I think the remakes are a punch in the nuts to those of us who have been restoring and collecting these original games for years.
Given that these remakes require zero R&D, the tooling already exists to create the mechanisms and parts, and the build quality is not the same (Don’t believe me, try and flex a VUK mech on MMr vs An original, the new remakes are very flimsy), they are overpriced IMHO.
Comparing to cars, a vintage mustang will hold its value. However a new one will decline in value over time. My theory is the same on these remakes, their introduction to the market brings the price down on the vintage ones temporarily, but over the long run I think the originals will retain their value better.
This is why I say the best way to buy a MB, is to buy an original once the remakes are released. That’s when the prices on the better and more valuable game in the long term will be lower.
Someone earlier said AFMr was an overwhelming success. They have sold ~1500 units. Is that really overwhelming? I would say Metallica was an overwhelming success. I bet there are 8000+ Metallica’s out there.

This is pinball machines, not cars.....big difference. These remakes are superb quality and in my opinion they play better too. Give me a remake anyway over an original. You also can’t really compare the numbers made because today’s market is much more different than it used to be. There used to be a lot more arcades and pinball machines everywhere back then and now hardly anywhere you go will you find a pinball machine to play. Even Dave and Busters don’t have pinball machines. Also the reason they aren’t selling a lot more games is thee aren’t many people who can afford to pay 7-8k for a pinball machine.

I don’t own a remake and most likely never will but I think they are a great thing. The more pinball options we have, the better off this hobby is and the more it will grow. I don’t want to see this hobby die again, I want to see it become huge again and I think these remakes can be a part in helping that happen.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

These remakes are superb quality and in my opinion they play better too.

sorry, but no... they are cheaper quality and dont play better. They actually play similar to originals but definitely not better.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

The more pinball options we have, the better off this hobby is and the more it will grow. I don’t want to see this hobby die again, I want to see it become huge again and I think these remakes can be a part in helping that happen.

Remakes are not going to help the hobby grow. They are low margin, high cost games that have nothing new to bring to the hobby and instead are sucking out millions of dollars that would be better spent on any new game/innovation (assuming you want to see the hobby grow). Reality is that they are remaking games from 20 years ago and charging restored original prices because there are enough suckers to buy them at that price. The remakes are not retaining value and in fact have taken value form the originals which pulls more $$$ and people from the hobby.

Remakes fill a void for old guys wanting nostalgia that dont know or want to work on an original. That is cool but it is a flash in the pan and not sustainable.

You have to remember that if ANY game should be at or below Stern PRO pricing it is these remakes. AFMr has very little in the game, had no R&D costs, no coding, no art, no nothing... Just build it and crank them out. Instead of being 5k they sucker punched the gullible community to pay 7k based on the value of the originals as a collectible with limited number when in reality the remakes will lose value quickly and have no collectiblity since they are being made forever in unlimited numbers.

How many more 7k plus remakes are people going to buy?

The writing is already on the wall since they are scrambling to add fluff to the games to try and help people justify the 2k extra upcharge.
I hope the community wakes up before it it too late and it comes crashing down again.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This is pinball machines, not cars.....big difference. These remakes are superb quality and in my opinion they play better too.

What makes them of superb quality? The mechanisms are flimsy, the boards aren’t serviceable. In about 10 years many of the remakes will be 300lb paperweights or beat to hell worse than many originals.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

You also can’t really compare the numbers made because today’s market is much more different than it used to be.

This is why I mentioned Metallica and not say Addams family. Can’t compare numbers from 3 years ago?

Seems like everyone is so blinded by shiny the facts aren’t important.

#66 6 years ago

OK--full disclosure: I'm trying to sell a MB. Still, I have a AFMrLE. It looks superb. It plays not even close to the original. The flippers don't feel like WMS. The screen looks a little cartoony. I really wish I could have the best of both worlds. But I can't.

#67 6 years ago

O-din makes some good points that will apply some (like me) but not everyone. And I'll second pinlawyer as an owner of both an AFMr and MB and (disclaimer): yes my MB is for sale but I'll remain objective. No, I'm not an MBr buyer if it does get released.

If you can wait until the remakes come out and aren't too particular about Bally/Williams authenticity you should probably get a remake. I would imagine most that have come to the hobby in recent years would fall in to this category. That's not a knock on new collectors. I just think that each of us as collectors are more a product of the time in which we fell in love with pinball.

But, if you are a longtime collector and a Bally/Williams enthusiast, you should get an original B/W game over any remake. I would say the remakes now that they are being "enhanced" are a modern interpretation of a classic, and a good one at that, but not quite the same.

I really enjoy my AFMr and am glad I purchased it. I stand behind my review of it and have nothing but positive things to say about it UNLESS I were to compare it to the Monster Bash that sits next to it. MB is more solid, the shots more consistent, and for lack of a better description just feels tighter than AFMr. The sound quality on MB (with Pinball Pro speakers and sub) is actually better than AFMr. AFMr is definitely the winner in lighting but you could get any original to that level if you desire. The bigger screen makes no difference if you're playing it but it's cool when you're watching.

That's my long winded two-cents. Just get whatever makes you happy and don't look back.

#68 6 years ago

the boards aren’t serviceable.

This is what makes me nervous on both the remakes and the new Stern games. I'm not sure why either company has moved to theee boards that can't be serviced.

#69 6 years ago

i have a mb i listed for sale. i really dont care if it sells or not. mm did not really tank after mmr. originals are still 7.5k to 8 k, to me thats not tanking.
if my mb goes down a couple thousand and i can buy a new tom, cc, bbb for 7000 i will gladly take the loss on the mb and make it up on the lower price of the nib price of remade pins.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm not sure why either company has moved to theee boards that can't be serviced.

I hate to say it, but its smart business.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I hate to say it, but its smart business.

It is from a sales perspective for sure

#72 6 years ago

My theory is the same on these remakes, their introduction to the market brings the price down on the vintage ones temporarily, but over the long run I think the originals will retain their value better.

So how is this a “punch in the nuts”? You say yourself that originals will drop in price only temporarily and in the long run will be more or less unaffected. If true, then what’s the problem?

Your attitude reminds me of a fairly famous collector of pre-war standard gauge toy trains, which I also collect. These trains I mention are also being remade and some collectors don’t like it, especially the guy I mentioned here. He doesn’t like other people to have what he has and doesn’t like loosing the exclusivity of having once very rare trains. In a video interview he said he wishes they didn’t remake these train because he doesn’t need them as he has all the trains he needs. In other words I got mine, piss on the rest of you.

Lastly, why should CGC care if the remakes bring down the prices of originals? They’re a business trying to provide what the market wants and make a profit while doing it. The value of originals or how collectors feel about remakes should not factor into their thought process and I’m glad it doesn’t. I have an AFMr and will be buying a MBr as well as some of the other titles they have in the pipeline, I’m glad they’re making these games and apparently others are too.

#73 6 years ago

As soon as MM's, MB's, AFM's and BBB's started selling for over 10k that opened the doors for remakes to be made, rightfully so. If they provide a product that people like and are willing to purchase than so be it. Competition among companies (and sellers) will only push the companies to create better products and lower prices on the secondary market. Does anyone really think it is fair that a person makes 8k plus on a game like BBB because it is rare? We created this market and we need to acknowledge the consequences for better or worse.

Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

So how is this a “punch in the nuts”? You say yourself that originals will drop in price only temporarily and in the long run will be more or less unaffected. If true, then what’s the problem?
Your attitude reminds me of a fairly famous collector of pre-war standard gauge toy trains, which I also collect. These trains I mention are also being remade and some collectors don’t like it, especially the guy I mentioned here. He doesn’t like other people to have what he has and doesn’t like loosing the exclusivity of having once very rare trains. In a video interview he said he wishes they didn’t remake these train because he doesn’t need them as he has all the trains he needs. In other words I got mine, piss on the rest of you.
Lastly, why should CGC care if the remakes bring down the prices of originals? They’re a business trying to provide what the market wants and make a profit while doing it. The value of originals or how collectors feel about remakes should not factor into their thought process and I’m glad it doesn’t. I have an AFMr and will be buying a MBr as well as some of the other titles they have in the pipeline, I’m glad they’re making these games and apparently others are too.

#74 6 years ago

Welcome to the hobby DngrWillRobinson

#75 6 years ago

The reason I bought both MMr and AFMr is that I have wanted (over time) to own both, perhaps not forever but at least for a while.

I see a lot of comments from people back east, where there are a lot of games compared to Cali. Games are cheaper there than here, due to quantity available and shipping costs.

So, what I paid for each brand-new game, was less than I could have bought a used one for here. And I have bought games from back east and each has suffered from inflated condition descriptions. That combined with high shipping costs made it (for me) really an easy decision to buy new.

I hate buying a game that is supposed to be in great condition, pay shipping and then have to do work and buy parts to "fix it up". I really don't have to funds to fly all over the country to check out a game before I buy it.

Those who seem to be down on people who buy these remakes, probably already have the games or live in areas where finding one close to where they live is relatively easy. Plus, if they already own one, they probably paid 50% of what they cost now...so they think remakes are overpriced.

It's easy to categorize people who buy remakes and rich people with a lot of money, but if you look at location, availability of games, desire to have minimal headaches after the purchase, ability to perhaps sell "a known quantity" later...buying a remake can make sense. At least it did to me.

Robert

#76 6 years ago

I think the new MBr:s are welcome and I would go for a MRr as the original MB:s may suffer from warping due to the long drac line and not even the drac bracket every time would fix this completely. This would not apply if one has a repro playfield for the original MB, but if one is a purist, one would have an original restored playfield in it instead and as said, it may suffer from warping.

And it would be huge, if MRr would feature the "planked playfield" as illustrated in this forum as an option

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I hate to say it, but its smart business

It is from a sales perspective for sure

I may have missed this point being discuss (so apologies) but how so? Future board sales?

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I may have missed this point being discuss (so apologies) but how so? Future board sales?

Easier and cheaper to manufacture newer boards, higher profits on games sales. That’s the business sense part.

They will fail eventually (look at the stern node boards) and cannot be repaired by the common collector like the legacy wpc system.

#79 6 years ago

People don't consider it but selling replacement parts are a big part of a successful company such as this. There is no way they are profiting solely on machine sales.
And these are not the only companies that do this. Like it or not, its smart business.

#80 6 years ago

From what I'm seeing and reading in this hobby is that most people (say 90% of them) don't care which version they have when it comes to a remake of anything as long as it's cheaper (and that includes the quality as well). I did the same thing with MMR and bought one so that it was nice and new right out of the box even though I hated the game (read-boring) and quickly sold it when I realized I was only buying it because everyone felt I should have one in my collection. I replaced it with a EM. machine instead...and I'm much happier....LOL.
But anyways, it comes down to the all mighty dollar in this hobby whether were talking about games, backglasses, playfields, parts......etc. Most people will take a reproduction whatever over an original any day if they can save a dollar. It's sad but true. The thing of it is your basically getting the same exact game as 20 years ago only not blown out so there's nothing else to compare it to other then the price tag. If they did sell 1500 AFMR's at $7K that's 10 million dollars.......cha-ching!! When you compare a new Mustang to a old one there is no comparison as it's two totally different cars that they just slapped the name on it in order to make them sell to collectors who thought they would be the only one to have one.......LOL.
As for the replacement boards. The boards will fail given enough time, from a single lamp not working to a row of switches out..., it doesn't matter what goes wrong with it you'll have to replace the board. I'm guessing $2-$300 ??

John

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

As for the replacement boards. The boards will fail given enough time, from a single lamp not working to a row of switches out..., it doesn't matter what goes wrong with it you'll have to replace the board. I'm guessing $2-$300 ??

This problem is only for the CGC and new Stern games correct? Not an issue facing JJP or Spooky right now?

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

People don't consider it but selling replacement parts are a big part of a successful company such as this. There is no way they are profiting solely on machine sales.
And these are not the only companies that do this. Like it or not, its smart business.

Most newbies don't know how to service their boards anyway when there is a problem.

#83 6 years ago

If those boards are serviceable then no it's not a problem. I've not looked at Spooky's or JJP. And yes I own a WoZ.

John

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Most newbies don't know how to service their boards anyway when there is a problem

The lack of ability to do board work isn’t limited to new hobbiests. I depend on the kindness of my friends when I’m having a board issue.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

MB is the most over rated of all the over rated/ high priced games. I suggest not buying one at all and esp not now with the pending announcement of the remake at TPF. It is like a common day Stern SW that sells on mainly theme. It is the easiest of all the classic fan layouts and once you beat it, then the game is pretty boring. Pretty to look at and monsters are cool, but what a waste of funds.
Go buy 4 good early solid states games instead. You will have more fun, more lastability, and you can rotate through 4 games without having a bunch of money ties up in a single boring deck.

Mostly agree... not worth the price of admission(i had a perfect restored modded one for under 9k) . Neat theme but gets stale very quickly and sold mine few months ago for dile .... dont miss or regret that decision one bit.

#86 6 years ago

What makes them of superb quality? The mechanisms are flimsy, the boards aren’t serviceable. In about 10 years many of the remakes will be 300lb paperweights or beat to hell worse than many originals.

This is why I mentioned Metallica and not say Addams family. Can’t compare numbers from 3 years ago?
Seems like everyone is so blinded by shiny the facts aren’t important.

11000 plays and counting, time will tell...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/documenting-the-entire-life-of-a-medieval-madness-remake/page/4#post-4061182

I have owned 5 original MM and now an MMr, I don't know the science behind it but my MMr plays great (better than the CQ restored MM I used to own)

The remakes are what they are at this point, if you don't like them don't buy them. I think it is a bit rediculous to say they will be 300 pound paper weights is 10 years.

#87 6 years ago

Some people prefer old, some people prefer new. Determining which is better at this point is more of an emotional and personal decision. It will take a number of years after AFMr stops production to see if there is a majority consensus one way or the other. Likely one version will exceed the other in cash value. Only time will tell.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

It plays not even close to the original. The flippers don't feel like WMS. The screen looks a little cartoony.

I've been thinking by opposite- I used to own a fully restored AFM and now have an AFMR. The game overall is a significant upgrade on the original. It plays faster and smoother. I really have no idea what people are talking about re-the flippers. All the other upgrades are very well done. And most original AFM/MM these days will already have a significant number of replacement parts and are therefore moving closer to a remake anyway. The replacement parts are mostly from PPS - same parts as the remake.

The only downside I see is the serviceability of the electronics on the remake may be a concern in 10-15 years time.

Admittedly it's now almost a completely different game and that's where collector mentality comes in. If you're looking for a complete replacement of AFM to fit in your collection of original Bally/Williams games, the remake might be disappointing. But if you just want a fantastic fast playing entertaining game with one of the best layouts and rulesets ever, AFMR is a winner.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry, but no... they are cheaper quality and dont play better.

I was at TPF all 3 days this year and had a chance to get a lot of plays on AFMr as well as the 2 original games that were also there. Both are fun. Not knocking the originals at all since they are a proven all-time classic. The remake is super sweet though with the modern enhancements: all LED lighting, upgraded speakers, large high resolution color display, shaker integration, best topper in pinball, upgraded melamine covered cabinet, and 2 year warranty. That’s not fluff. I had no intention of buying another game but when I saw and played this one it was too good for me to pass up.

Quoted from Whysnow:

How many more 7k plus remakes are people going to buy?

Based on CGC’s current production capacity I’d say 2,500-3,000 games per year for the foreseeable future.

Quoted from Whysnow:

AFMr has very little in the game, had no R&D costs, no coding, no art, no nothing... Just build it and crank them out.

The original game is one of the best ever. No need to change it. There is code integration for the shaker and topper which is new compared to the original. The topper was also designed by Doug Watson who did the original art on the game. The high resolution color dots are all new.

9B883644-2F65-4D5A-8EC8-FBC6204DF648 (resized).png9B883644-2F65-4D5A-8EC8-FBC6204DF648 (resized).png
6CCF7C0E-30F1-4D14-BA37-CD06BC7476E8 (resized).png6CCF7C0E-30F1-4D14-BA37-CD06BC7476E8 (resized).png

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

11000 plays and counting, time will tell...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/documenting-the-entire-life-of-a-medieval-madness-remake/page/4#post-4061182
I have owned 5 original MM and now an MMr, I don't know the science behind it but my MMr plays great (better than the CQ restored MM I used to own)
The remakes are what they are at this point, if you don't like them don't buy them. I think it is a bit rediculous to say they will be 300 pound paper weights is 10 years.

True time will tell. What will you do when this fails?

5801F649-791A-489F-BDB5-6E3D99035A2F (resized).jpeg5801F649-791A-489F-BDB5-6E3D99035A2F (resized).jpeg

#91 6 years ago

The community has been amazingly resourceful for getting unobtainable parts made. If there is demand, it will get done. I don't have any doubts.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

The community has been amazingly resourceful for getting unobtainable parts made. If there is demand, it will get done. I don't have any doubts

While I agree with this generally it does depend on the continued popularity of Pinball to sustain such a market for hard to source parts. If Pinball takes a down turn five years from now boards may be become scarce.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Holy cow Iceman and I finally agree on something.

I bought an original AFM and don't regret it one bit. I can make a list of reason's I don't like the AFMr. There are many. But the price of the original needs to be according to condition. If he wants an MB he should just go buy one. By the time he gets a remake in his hands he will probably be ready to sell the original. Its 2019 at the earliest.

#94 6 years ago

You show a picture of an MPU board? I could easily show a picture of a WPC95 CPU and ask what you do when you get one that the batteries have leaked on? You replace it or pay someone a bunch of money and maybe it gets fixed and maybe it doesn't.

There has been surface mount technology in main stream pins for a long time including the SAM system CPU. Those CPUs will be around for years and so will replacements. Think anyone has ever repaired the MPU in a JJP machine themselves? Besides, at this point there are already plenty of CGC games out there to ensure they will be repairable and/or spares for many decades from the usual sources. The fact that they use standard interfaces will make them easy to emulate in the future as well for aftermarket support.

This whole "new technology is bad", the sky is falling strawman is lame at best. You don't like the remakes. We get it.

#95 6 years ago

I think the remakes do have a different "feel" to them, also think the art work is not as crisp as the originals.

For anybody to think there is no development in these remakes.....well, that's just dumb. The remakes run off completely different boards, operating systems and wiring. It's a totally new development of boards, wiring and software. Just because the game looks and plays similar to the original doesn't mean there wasn't any or much development involved. It's actually a different pin for the most part.

I am for the remakes, it doesn't hurt my feelings when a remake is made of a pin I own. I actually wish every single title would drop to a value of how they were 15-20 years ago. I would loose out of my current pins values but would make up for it in the others I could buy.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

While I agree with this generally it does depend on the continued popularity of Pinball to sustain such a market for hard to source parts. If Pinball takes a down turn five years from now boards may be become scarce.

Year 2000. Everyone said the exact same thing about WPC95 games. Don’t buy them because they didn’t make a lot of them. You’ll never be able to get parts. The A/V board were unattainable. Heard the same thing pretty much about every different system. If the stash of boards dry up someone will come along and make new ones. You can even look to the Gottlieb system one boards with those spider chips. Yeah they make new boards now. Another thing is just because surface mount is new to most us in the hobby there are many companies that make boards.

#97 6 years ago

I read through all posts above. Surprised no one brought up degunking Frank as an issue on the original besides the scoop, warping and drac trac. I vote for MBr and am hoping it gets announced in March at TPF.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I feel the same way about Monster Bash as I do Scared Stiff. Amazing games when it comes to theme and music and callouts and overall presentation, just great examples of the pinnacle of true 'arcade' pinball. These were games that were meant to take quarters, deliver a good time, and after you beat it no big deal, it was probably time for the op to rotate in a new game anyways.
If you have the money and space to have those kinds of enjoyable games to share with company, or put in a couple games when you want to grin and bash the ball around with the sound cranked up then you're in luck.
If you're the kind of person who spends time thinking about game code, strategies, depth, and long term replayability it's honestly a lousy choice. I had one for a while, did a temp swap of my Scared Stiff for one, and I enjoyed the shit out of it, and then didn't miss it when I gave it back.
Just one of those funny titles that I can honestly say is one of my favorite pins of all time, but that I wouldn't actually want to own.

Super insightful and well considered post. This is how I feel about a lot of games. I tend to learn towards crowd pleasers these days rather than depth and strategy. I’ll probably love MB!

#99 6 years ago

Going against the grain, but I will buy both MBr and TOMr. TOM is my favorite game and I love playing MB. Plus, my daughter likes it too. I am an okish player but am not caught up in crazy code. Getting new games with updated features and cheaper than the originals is a no brainer. They will look great in my new house in Naptown.

#100 6 years ago

I’ve noticed a LOT more hate on ToM Over the past year or so. I don’t know if it’s the JPop story coming out, or a smaller group of vocal pinsiders who just don’t like it or similar games (like MB) or what, but it’s in the top 10 for a reason. Still fun as hell!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/everyone-selling-mb-12-for-sale-best-way-to-buy/page/2?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.