Sharing this important post re code improvements:
Quoted from PPS:
As for code updates for any remakes, sure, it can be done, will depend on the specific game and the specific issues, and what approach to fix them or make them better and improve the overall game. We've compiled game code, so this is not a super big deal (i'm sure it's more of a big deal to make changes and ensure that it doesn't break something else), but that is all within Chicago Gaming role to figure out what it takes to make a great remake.
So they are able and very open to redoing code. Here are some points I'd like to make on improving code for MBr:
1. Any rerelease with updated code would have the original version code available as a setting anyway so there should be no reason for griping from purists.
2. If improved code is written for MBr (and if most of us in the community agree it is actually much better), this will provide another incentive to buy MBr above the original. Let me say this again, awesome code that respects the original but is much deeper with more wizard modes etc. will sell many more games.
3. For business reasons, like it or not, we can expect that MBr updated code will be (purposefully) made so as to be incompatible with original version meaning you could not update your original MB. Not saying I want this, but use brain... if they allowed that, it would take away incentive for them to actually spend the time and money to do it in the first place. They need to drive sales.
4. We can expect that (some) current owners will work to discourage discussion on changes of code or other features that set MBr apart from MB (at least until they sell) because money is on the table. Every extra reason that increases demand for MBr will ultimately lead to lower prices on MB. Let's not bash them as we'd all do the same because it's not fun to lose thousands.
5. Since few are chiming in re code update ideas for MBr (maybe because of 4?), I'll repeat what I've read tons of other owners and previous owners write about MB... It's a great game but has much shorter legs for home use because it is too easy and not as deep as MM and AFM. So I say don't change what's there but add goals and modes to make much deeper say as deep as MET. Don't even have to add inserts for that just have mode progress viewable on DMD by holding button. Consult top players and ask what could make MBr code not just OK for tournament play but into one of the best tournament machines ever!
6. If they release updated code, they can improve code over time as well with updates to drive even more demand and interests over the longer term. And if PPS are smart enough to INVOLVE THE COMMUNITY in this code-improvement process, they will set themselves even more apart from others in the industry who do the opposite.
So I think we in the community should celebrate making MBr into the best version it can possibly be and not think about holding it back from attaining even greater status than it already holds because of vested interests and nostalgia. MB can be made even better! Suggesting that MB can be improved is not an insult to one of the greatest pins ever, it's rather a sign of respect because so few pins even deserve to be honored with even a discussion about it.