11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

smiley-face-with-cigar.gif
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But how does that help your point? You said that Stern raised the prices of their pins by $2k almost overnight.

I did say "almost overnight" actually. But fine... I misspoke I guess. I still think WOZ was way more of a catalyst for pin pricing than any other pin in recent memory. Maybe that is my gut talking more than hard facts, but there does seem to be a correlation between the two.

#52 11 years ago

I don't think its "A list" hating.....I like playing most of those pins....but when you start to hear people using terms like "financing" and "investment" with pins it leads to over hype and the building of a house of cards imho...

Prices will come down for all pins, not just "A" listers....

LCD's, Wifi, stereo systems, internet connectivity will also be factors with the newer games...

But hey, that's just me thinking, maybe it the road goes on forever and the party never ends, who knows!

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I still think WOZ was way more of a catalyst for pin pricing than any other pin in recent memory. Maybe that is my gut talking more than hard facts, but there does seem to be a correlation between the two

WOZ brought so many more people back into the hobby like myself....and raised the quality and stakes...

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

WOZ brought so many more people back into the hobby like myself....and raised the quality and stakes...

I hear ya buddy. If it weren't for WOZ I would probably still only own LOTR. Instead I pre-ordered WOZ, then bought Tron:LE, and finally bought IJ(W) before trading it for SM. WOZ lit some sort of pin fire in me I guess.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

iceman44 said:WOZ brought so many more people back into the hobby like myself....and raised the quality and stakes...
I hear ya buddy. If it weren't for WOZ I would probably still only own LOTR. Instead I pre-ordered WOZ, then bought Tron:LE, and finally bought IJ(W) before trading it for SM. WOZ lit some sort of pin fire in me I guess.

So, is Wh2o not happening now?

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

iceman44 said:WOZ brought so many more people back into the hobby like myself....and raised the quality and stakes...

WOZ made you buy Sterns?

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

jarjarisgod said:iceman44 said:WOZ brought so many more people back into the hobby like myself....and raised the quality and stakes...
WOZ made you buy Sterns?

I think he meant it turned him into a multipin owner instead of just having one as a novelty.

#58 11 years ago

I would sell my two pins, if it would get me a an X-Men LE, but it won't. I'm a huge fan of x-men.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I think he meant it turned him into a multipin owner instead of just having one as a novelty.

Exactly!

Quoted from davewtf:

So, is Wh2o not happening now?

Ended up pulling the plug on that one.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I own two "a" games but I'm fine with the market readjusting to 1/2 current value overnight. First thing i'll do is buy a MB, another TZ, IJ, SM, Whirlwind, WH20, TS, a nicer BSD, Pinbot, EATPM etc, etc...

hey buddy... let me grab a few of these half price games before you scoop them all up

Actually, I will take the SS, Creature, LOTR, and CV that you will be passing up.

I can hardly wait for this bubble pop!! Madison is gonna have the sickest collection of pins EVER.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I did say "almost overnight" actually.

I know. That's what I said you said!

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

davewth said:I think he meant it turned him into a multipin owner instead of just having one as a novelty.
Exactly!
davewth said:So, is Wh2o not happening now?

um... why did you not send it my way?

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#64 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

um... why did you not send it my way?

The seller had other people behind me already. Otherwise I would have.

Edit: Actually I would have sent it Dave's way first. He called dibs immediately on it. Then it would have gone your way Hilton.

Quoted from RobT:

I know. That's what I said you said!

That you did!

Been a long week. Sorry Rob.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

davewth said:I think he meant it turned him into a multipin owner instead of just having one as a novelty.
Exactly!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#66 11 years ago

at least we all get to still play Mike's Wh20

#67 11 years ago

As more and more pins are made to meet demand prices on 20 year old pins will creep to a more reasonable level. I'm thinking near the end of 2013 when JJPs second title hits. I love the classics but everything has its time and I think with the new competition and technology pinball will finally be taken to the next level. Only time will tell. Either way exciting times for pinball! Can't wait to see and play the new pins that will be coming out in the next few years.

#68 11 years ago

I don't think prices will drop significantly when the new tech comes out but I think (hope) they will level out.

#69 11 years ago

Speaking of tech. I was told xmen will have LeD display like acdc.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Sweet. Any word yet on whether the split dmd will be gone like ACDC has full use of the whole DMD?

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

WOZ is kind of an eye sore. Cluster-f***, Too busy for my taste. Stern games of late look real nice, clean and bright.
Post edited by SealClubber : Language

I kind of agree with this - not so much that WoZ is too busy, but it doesn't look like a layout for fun. Stern games do look real nice, clean and bright, but more importantly, they're playing real nice and fast. I think WoZ is going to be more of a stop and go (mostly stop).

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think WoZ is going to be more of a stop and go (mostly stop).

I hope so....gives me a little time to drink beer while I'm playing...I can do it with Lotr, not so much on SM

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I kind of agree with this - not so much that WoZ is too busy, but it doesn't look like a layout for fun.

Hey someone else agrees with me about WOZ. I'm not really digging the layout either, as it looks VERY focused on upper playfields. NO FLOW really from the looks of it...

Still should be fun as hell I bet...

I'm hoping for a better layout on their next one, could be my first NIB!

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

markmon said:I kind of agree with this - not so much that WoZ is too busy, but it doesn't look like a layout for fun.
Hey someone else agrees with me about WOZ. I'm not really digging the layout either, and it looks VERY focused on upper playfields. NO FLOW really from the looks of it...
I'm hoping for a better layout on there next one, could be my first NIB!

There is no rhyme or reason to anything on the PF. orange up there, christmas colors on bottom, a mess of art on top PF and rainbow colors on top right. Its an eye sore to me.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

Its an eye sore to me.

Anything is an eye sore compared to that A**....

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

I don't believe Stern is using orange plasma DMD's anymore, Vishay/Dale/Babcock are not making them anymore or massive reduction in manufacturing...something like like. There was a post somewhere I read.
It's LED with no HV board display from here on out.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Snowdale said:Its an eye sore to me.

Yea buddy!!

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Snowdale said:Its an eye sore to me.

I'm gonna have to start censoring my words like you just did. I got a message telling me to stop swearing.

#79 11 years ago

That avatar says more than any word ever could

I'm about to list most of my games for sale but it doesn't really have anything to do with the new Sterns. Just that recently I realized I only play a couple of them. I'm not playing the others enough to justify owning 6 or 7 games. Maybe downsizing is the case with some others as well.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Hey someone else agrees with me about WOZ. I'm not really digging the layout either, as it looks VERY focused on upper playfields. NO FLOW really from the looks of it...

Does every pin have to flow like a river?

No.

This does look similar to TSPP, a pin I don't care for, so who knows whether I'll like how it play or not. But I LOVE TZ, another stop and go pin, so I could very well wind up loving it.

#81 11 years ago

No they don't all have to flow, but if the ball spends ALOT of time on the upper playfields, it could be a negative IMO. I love my TSPP, but I prefer a more flowing game, and don't really like widebodies either...

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

markmon said:I kind of agree with this - not so much that WoZ is too busy, but it doesn't look like a layout for fun.

I think that was the point of WOZ... to be different and push technology, as Stern was stagnating. Even now Stern keeps re-releasing a slightly modified version of the same playfield over and over... there's something to be said for taking advantage of what's proven to work, but in a single collection it is a bit redundant to have, for example, SM, Tron, and X-Men in your collection with the same layout (mirrored in the case of Tron). WOZ is like a breath of fresh air in comparison.

#83 11 years ago

Yea, only time will tell on WOZ. Balcer only did one game that gets respect, TSPP, and I think that's more because of the ruleset than an awesome pf layout. The other game was South Park, which I think the guy mopping the floors at my local burger king could design a better layout.

I cringe every time I see 'new technology' as a reason for new pins being better. Again, what new tech? Wi-fi, better speaker systems, better glass? Gimme a break. These are all either completely useless or things you could upgrade any game with.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

No they don't all have to flow, but if the ball spends ALOT of time on the upper playfields, it could be a negative IMO. I love my TSPP, but I prefer a more flowing game, and don't really like widebodies either...

Just to be clear, I agree with what you are saying. Like I said, I have the same concerns. The layout looks similar to TSPP to me, and I don't care for that pin at all. Lots of stop and go. Lots of time on the upper pf. Yet, you say that you love yours. I love my TZ, another stop and go pin.

So my point is that despite the way the layout looks, I think both you and I could wind up loving the pin, despite our concerns.

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

tomdotcom said:markmon said:I kind of agree with this - not so much that WoZ is too busy, but it doesn't look like a layout for fun.

I think that was the point of WOZ... to be different and push technology, as Stern was stagnating. Even now Stern keeps re-releasing a slightly modified version of the same playfield over and over... there's something to be said for taking advantage of what's proven to work, but in a single collection it is a bit redundant to have, for example, SM, Tron, and X-Men in your collection with the same layout (mirrored in the case of Tron). WOZ is like a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Huh? Tron and Spider-man have the same layout? Other than the motorized three target stand up bank in the middle of the playfield and they both have three flippers, they have almost nothing in common.

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I cringe every time I see 'new technology' as a reason for new pins being better.

Thank you!!!
I'm an industrial designer by trade and I cannot tell you how many clients I run into that want "new technology" above good design. Creativity, balance, flow... these are what make great games. The skilled designer can take any mechanism, technology or cool new toy and weave it into a spectacular game. Technology can't do it alone.
For that reason I think Stern still has the upper hand. They've got the team: Gomez, Borg, Ritchie etc...
WOZ, in my humble option, looks like it will play like a mess. If I was JJP I would have waited to land a big name like Nordman, Lawlor etc. before starting that project. I really hope I'm wrong because Jack simply cannot afford a flop on his opening effort.
They've packed everything but the kitchen sink into that pin. From a designer's eye, I'm just not sure about this project at all. Fingers crossed though.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

There are many factors in the prices going up, but if I were to point to a single event it would be WOZ being announced at $6,500. When people started pre-ordering in droves, Stern saw this and realized they could charge more for their games. It moved the bar on new games +$2K almost overnight.
Then what happened? The games kept selling. The market was and is there. As a result, the older "A" games got a value bump as well. The "if that game is worth X then this game is surely worth X+Y" mentality. Not saying any of this is wrong per se, but I think it is the main factor in the price explosion we've all been seeing.

Well said JarJar. Stern wasn't doing anything new on their games to warrant the price increase and they just followed suit with JJP. If anything they continued to cheapen them (pegs supports, plastic aprons, clamp lockdown bar, etc.). Wasn't that long ago when I got my NIB SM for $3750. The increase is not just because Stern is making LE's considering BSM was around 4.5K NIB, LOTR LE was 5K, Avatar LE and Tron LE were around 5.5K. The so called "LE's" now are of the same build level as the old standard games like SM, LOTR, TSPP, FGY, etc. Now they just strip down the pro's and run a small number of LE's and charge premium prices. I'm not a Stern hater and have a some my collection, but I don't wear blinders and drink their kool-aid either.

#88 11 years ago

Well, so far I haven't had an issue with the price increases. I have gotten some amazing deals on pins up here and have no worries that I will be able to sell them for what I have in them. I also don't have much of an issue with the price that most of the A listers are going for these days as I don't really want to buy them, with the exception of MB. That one just tickles me in my happy place. Wish I could find one for decent money but wishes are like a-holes or somesuch.

#89 11 years ago

I believe pinball needs to progress and evolve in order to stay alive the technology will be part of it but not the most important. New innovations of playfield design and integration of toys will be much more important.

Why wouldn't pinheads want future pins to be funner than the old? That is something I just don't understand.

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

jarjarisgod said:davewth said:I think he meant it turned him into a multipin owner instead of just having one as a novelty.
Exactly!
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please don't do that it messes up the screen for all Ipad users that are trying to read the posts.

#91 11 years ago

Ooooohhhhh. I wondered what was doing that. Lololol

#92 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

please don't do that it messes up the screen for all Ipad users that are trying to read the posts.

Ahh, that's why my screen has been messed up...I was wondering why it was doing that.

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Huh? Tron and Spider-Man have the same layout? Other than the motorized three target stand up bank in the middle of the playfield and they both have three flippers, they have almost nothing in common.

"Similar" is what I meant. Mirror one or the other and you have 5 of 7 identical shots up top.

Frankly, there's only so much space in a standard playfield, so we can pointlessly nitpick pins all day like this. I was sort of pointing out one of the advantages WOZ has with a widebody, while Stern designers struggle making something unique out of those 7 shots in a standard playfield... though, Borg did manage to fit 8 [tight] shots up top on X-Men.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Don't buy thinking you are going to get every dime back or make money on your pin.. but buy it because you love the game and want to play it. Problem solved.

excellent point

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

RJW said:
Huh? Tron and Spider-Man have the same layout? Other than the motorized three target stand up bank in the middle of the playfield and they both have three flippers, they have almost nothing in common.

"Similar" is what I meant. Mirror one or the other and you have 5 of 7 identical shots up top.
Frankly, there's only so much space in a standard playfield, so we can pointlessly nitpick pins all day like this. I was sort of pointing out one of the advantages WOZ has with a widebody, while Stern designers struggle making something unique out of those 7 shots in a standard playfield... though, Borg did manage to fit 8 [tight] shots up top on X-Men.

That's my point, they aren't similar at all, not even close to being a mirror of one another.

The only similar thing is the target bank in the middle and a side ramp with a flipper half way up the playfield. Please explain these other similar shots as I have these sitting side by side in my basement and they are nothing alike. Tron, Tommy and Funhouse yes, they are very similar, yet play nothing alike.

As far as WOZ being a totally different and refreshing layout, I totally agree.

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

...not sure where the concept of 90's games looking "old" next to new Sterns comes from. There are no technological advancements or cosmetic enhancements whatsoever. If anything I can think of a few steps back that have taken place... A good friend of mine has a HUO SM & LOTR. The SM had a post rip right out of the playfield, splintering it. The side rails on the LOTR rusted up where ppl place their sweaty hands, paint flaked off and everything.

I agree.
My Tron LE sits right at the end of a row of early-mid 90's W/B games. (tron>DW>FT>IJ>HS2>JM)

The W/B's have 10x more character, better artwork, more interesting pf's and gameplay, excellent factory toppers, etc etc... they don't look dated at all. In fact, I think they look great, if not better than Tron!

all imo of course.

#97 11 years ago

Well, yes people will sell anything to get the latest fix.

However was recently playing Tron LE, LOTR and AFM side by side. The AFM, with new p/f and color dmd looked as good as if not better than both Tron LE and LOTR. Not dated at all.

WOZ may date all dmd games though - we will see.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/everyone-is-selling-thanks-xmen-and-acdc/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.